Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens, vaccinations etc?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I recently got two kittens, as far as I'm aware, they're about 14 weeks old, they haven't had any health care to date, I haven't let them out of the house yet as I've been they need some kind of vaccination/injection before I can do so, (they've been let out in the back garden a bit, but not too much for fear of their escaping), I've never had a cat before, so I was wondering if you guys could let me know what I need to get them, roughly how much it would cost, and maybe if anyone could recommend a vet? preferably around Dublin 14 or nearby.

I feel bad keeping them cooped up so much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Tbh they are a lot safer indoors away from cars, dogs and dodgy people.
    There is no reason why they can't live indoors happily many cats do.
    Investing in toys and some cat trees keeps them busy.

For info on vaccinations click http://www.kittenadoption.org/vaccinations.htm

They must also be spayed/neutered if you really have to let them outside but need to be done anyway wether indoors or outdoors.
    Most vets will not spay/neuter until they are 5 to 6 months of age so they can't be left outside until stitches are out anyway.

For cat trees and other things to keep cats busy visit zooplus.ie

Also you could cat proof the garden esp. if you have walls or fencing all the way around

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Kittens should be wormed every two weeks
    They need 2 sets of vax's & then an annual booster
    They need regular flea treatments if allowed access to the outside (NOT flea collars)
    Kittens should not be allowed outside at least until after they have been neutered & spayed

Your vet will be able to advise on the best worm / flea treatment & when the kittens are ready to be neutered & spayed

Argyle & Bainbridge are in Dundrum (near the Garda Station) 01-2987510

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Cost - approx €100-00 per kitten, for 2 rounds of shots for worms and cat flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

firstly - fair play for giving a home to two kittens - they're a handful but it sounds like they've got a good mum who's concerned about their well being.

Secondly - you kittens must be vaccinated before they go outside properly

we've fostered cats and kittens for a while now - and kept the ones we got particularly attached to - but I can testify that there is no greater pain as a pet owner than having to see your furry friend put ot sleep.

We lost two adoptees through FIV and FILV (Cat Flu and Cat Luekemia) and it's not a nice way to go. Though it is the combined vaccine is the more expensive of the two (and a locum vet I visited last week with the latest batch of adoptees even asked 'are you sure? - it is more expensive') but worth every cent. You'll need to bring them in for the first shot and then back 3 weeks later for the follow up shot. It's vital you bring them in 3 weeks later or the first shot is useless.

they should also be neutered before they go outside - for toms to curb straying (though they'll still explore) and fighting and for the girlies to stop unwanted pregnancy... no matter how small they look - they can still get 'got'!

visit your local vet and have a talk with them - a lot of vets now have payment plans where you can pay of bills weekly. most are happy to help - especially when they see you're looking after the kittens.

as for the inside/outside debate.

I know cats who are perfectly happy inside but ours have always gone out. we've lived in the centre of waterford and the furs would go out the kitchen window, down the neighbours back gardens and pop out at the People's Park. Now we live in a small village in the country side and there's fields and a riverbank for them to explore.

We're down to 3 now and we're stopping fostering for the time being. We've never had 3 'permanants' before and we want them to enjoy having the house to themselves for a while.

Most of all - enjoy you kittens as they turn into cats - it happens so fast!
    xx kate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amoeba_girl

Thanks very much guys, you've been very helpful, I'll head up to Dundrum now this week and check that place out.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement