Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two eircom routers on the one telephone line?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Ok, I'm in a bit of bother here. We have recently got two eircom 2247 routers. One is in the House connected to a desktop via ethernet and wirelessly connected to a laptop and PS3.

About 50 metres away is the Garage. The office is situated here and also has a desktop. Before yesterday, whenever any office work was to be done that required the internet, the router in the House had to be unplugged and taken across, leaving the House with no internet connection.

Yesterday we were sent out a new eircom 2247 router. We currently have one in the Garage and one in the House, however, when one is on the other no longer will connect to the internet.

I've been searching the internet for hours trying to find a way around this and can't seem to find any answers for the problem I am having.

Can anyone lend a hand please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It can't be done, the lines will only take 1 modem.

Get yourself some cat5 and run a network connection into your garage or else use the wireless if it reaches. You need never move the eircom modem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

2 modems on the one line won't at the same time won't work.

Why not add a wireless adapter to the office pc and connect wirelessly to the router in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Matt_Teddy

Sean_K wrote: »
    It can't be done, the lines will only take 1 modem.

Get yourself some cat5 and run a network connection into your garage or else use the wireless if it reaches. You need never move the eircom modem

So basically, what your saying is to run some cat5 from the house router over to the garage? The wireless option will not work, the signal is weak enough as it is in the house. I've heard something about bridging the routers but I don't know if that would work in my situation.

Cheers for the reply Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

If the signals too weak and you don't want to use cable you could try the HomePlug/Powerline route also. More expensive than cable though.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10292

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No bridging is to make the modem/router be just a Modem and use an external only router via ethernet. The Moden/Routers you have are internal, the WAN port of router is connected to internal Modem.

You need to run Cat5e. Use screened kind, (STP, not UTP) earth foil at one end. Max distance is 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Dingatron wrote: »
    If the signals too weak and you don't want to use cable you could try the HomePlug/Powerline route also. More expensive than cable though.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10292

This might not work however depending on how the garage is wired, but would be ideal.

Advertisement