Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Higher Diploma in Computing ?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am thinking of going back to part-time study to improve my I.T. qualifications.

There are plenty of M.Sc. programmes with large amounts of "management" content , which I am not interested in, as I feel the need to improve my technical understanding.

Can anyone, ideally a current student, offer an opinion on the Higher Diploma in Computing in Griffith College, or the Higher Diploma in Science in Computing in Blanchardstown Institute of Technology ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I used to lecture on that very course in Blanchardstown, so feel free to ask any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Roy Batty

Tom -

can you give me any info on the following issues:

1) What sort of programming, if any, is covered ?

2) How in depth are the operating systems and networking modules?

3) How does the "blended learning" approach work in practice?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Roy Batty wrote: »
    Tom -

can you give me any info on the following issues:

1) What sort of programming, if any, is covered ?

There's two modules on Software Engineering. While I didn't lecture on those, I believe they covered Java. There are also two optional modules on Web development.
    2) How in depth are the operating systems and networking modules?

Ok, you've got me there. I'll have to dig out the syllabus and get back to you on that one.
    3) How does the "blended learning" approach work in practice?

thanks again

In general terms, I thought the notes were too detailed. There was far too much detail for students to digest, I felt. However, they are backed up with a two-hour class, one Saturday a month, which I generally used as a hands-on practical class to backup the theory.

I found students reluctant to use the live chat on Moodle. I made myself available one evening a week, but most of the time I found I was there on my own. There is also a Boards.ie-style discussion forum, again, I don't think it was used to it's full potential by students.

It is, however, good for a central repository for all manner of communication and extra notes/weblinks etc.

So, overall, I do think it works, but I feel more could be done with Moodle.

Advertisement