Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Moving in

• 06-09-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

So Im moving up to a flat tommorrow with 3 strangers. Any tips on how to survive??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lock your doors at night and dont make any suddon movements around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

Alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Alcohol

Ah alcohol 'the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems' H.J. Simpson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Make a point of introducing yourself to them all. Chat about courses, where you're all from etc.

When you're all settled in possibly have a group discussion about house rules/policies, sharing/privacy, visitors, that sort of thing.

Much less likely to end up silently fuming at each other or at outright war if you're clear about what you expect from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Don't talk about politics or religion.

Oh, and don't do meth in the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

I'll say it again...alcohol. Don't throw a party in your place tho it will only get thrashed. Introduce yourself to the neighbours, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

little nervous meetin all them all, Ive never lived oncampus before. Also have never lived with strangers before!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Anytime someone moves scream :pac:
    When they say what is wrong say "what?"

Don't do this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i'm kinda nervous about meeting my housemates too. Last year my housemates were ace so hopefully i'll be lucky 2 years in a row! getting drunk with them helps :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Just be yourself, be friendly and you should be fine. Remember that they're in the same boat as you and are probably equally nervous about making an impression. I'm moving in with two strangers tomorrow. I hope we get on because I don't really know anyone else going to UCD so I'm pretty much on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

monellia wrote: »
    Just be yourself, be friendly and you should be fine.

not necessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

If you forget their name, ask can you see there student card ;)

Don't leave dirty potatoes on the counter or they will smear it on a note and leave it in your door

Ooo ya, good point, definitely make general house rules... if you're living with 3 others, that means your in Merville so for gods sake sort out the electricity cards as soon as you can. Oh and don't be stingy with toilet paper.

Don't leave your dirty dishes in the sink or they will pile up... :mad:

Don't fill the fridge with pointless gone off items

I remember in my first years freshers guide they had a load of wierd ways to creep out your flat mates. They were brilliant!

Don't do what Donny Don't Does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

It can be a bit daunting moving in with people you don't know for the first time, but if you're all first years everyone is probably in the same boat, so don't worry....

However, as gubbie said, definitely sort out the electricity cards ASAP as that can be a major point for tensions/arguments later on...

A few general house rules can be good, as can a cleaning rota, but its effectiveness can vary....

But don't worry... Things generally work out fine... And you always have your room (or the pub!) to retreat to...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Alcohol. They're flatmates, not friends (for now), so don't talk about contentious subjects like politics and religion, instead find common ground and drink to it.

No new advice really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

This is place is weird. Ive been in the apartment for a few hours and theres STILL no one here!? I know someone has been here cos theres a few things lying around. Where is everyone.....:confused:??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

where are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Willum101

hi pharm. im in the same boat. just moved in and i think two others are here but theyr not around at the mo. seems very quiet doesnt it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

and im the opposite, everyone is here saying "oh youre the one who hasnt been here all week"

im a first year though so everyone seems to have been getting to be great friends since wednesday... except me...*sniff* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If any of the people missing flatmates are in M.9.1 - I'll be up tomorrow.

(It's not likely, but who knows)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Raemie wrote: »
    and im the opposite, everyone is here saying "oh youre the one who hasnt been here all week"

im a first year though so everyone seems to have been getting to be great friends since wednesday... except me...*sniff* ;)

Same here mate :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ok what exactly are the RAs? Are they students too...?

Advertisement