Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying BER salvage

Options
  • 06-09-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm thinking about buying a salvage from my friend who recently had a small crash on the road. Car looks _almost_ OK, but insurance assessor came and said it is beyond economic repair (category D). My friend is about to get the money back from insurance company, but car stays with him.

If I were to buy such a car, and fix it in backyard then how can I legally put it back on the roads? NCT is valid till next year. What about insurance / tax etc?

I've heard something about "certificate of road worthiness" - is it really needed for salvage category D? If so, where to get it from (Limerick/Clare)? How much does it cost?

Are there any other issues?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My car was written off as a Cat D recently. I've had it repaired but as far as I kno I need Quinn to undeclare it as a write off (it was they who wrote it off [& paid out less than it was worth]-feckers). Then they send out an engineer (I'm fecked if I'm paying for it) who double checks it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Kris

Well, I don't have to go to the same insurance company. As I said, I'm buing it from the previous owner.

I'd think one should redo NCT, but looks like insurance assessors are more important here.

Someone told me, that before next tax disc expiration I'd have to get car checked and declared as 'road worthy'. Is this another myth?

Have any of you successfuly put cat D salvage back on the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371221&highlight=REPAIRABLE

There is alot to factor in when repairing a car, first thing to do is add up how much it is going to cost, and i mean everything, then see is it going to be worth your while. ie. Can you buy the same car, uncrashed and cheaper than it'll cost you?

If you get up some pics, and the make model year of the car we could give you advice on what it's worth etc. etc.

The only thing about you repairing it, and if someone comes to buy it in a few years time, if they check it out it will say that the car had been involved in an accident. It might be worth your while getting a engineer to check it out anyway for your own safety and the safety of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

If you repair it then you must get an engineer to declare the car is roadworthy again. You must then provide this cert to your insurance company.

Thanks. Where to find such engineer in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

kbannon wrote: »
    My car was written off as a Cat D recently. I've had it repaired but as far as I kno I need Quinn to undeclare it as a write off (it was they who wrote it off [& paid out less than it was worth]-feckers). Then they send out an engineer (I'm fecked if I'm paying for it) who double checks it.

Remind me never to take a lift from you. How many times have you crashed in the last couple of years? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

nct is null and void, once its repaired to a high standard, nct it then get it insured.... you will need an engineers report to insure her properly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Onkle wrote: »
    Remind me never to take a lift from you. How many times have you crashed in the last couple of years? :pac:
    Within one year, my own car was rear ended twice! My car looks great now but my neck is still quite sore from the last one (was in April).
    I was also involved in another incident whilst driving 'er indoors' car last January when some pleb decided to pull right out onto the road in Leixlip and stop leaving me with under five metres to take evasive action.

Incidentally, I have never caused an incident! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm told the engineers report costs in the region of €450, friend has just found out that his car was written off 3 years ago, before he bought it. only found out when he tried to renew his tax last month, he's NCT'd it twice since he bought it! he's also taxed it numerous times too.

€450 sounds a lot, is there a place to call and get the exact quote?

I was right then, it is related to tax as well...

• Advertisement
Advertisement