Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car conked out...

Options
  • 06-09-2008 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

Had to go into work this morning, roads were fairly wet, so a bit of spray from cars in front, and hit a puddle that squirted off a satisfying heavy spray. Parked up at work a minute or so after this puddle. Car was then left for about 3 hours, then started up the car ok, but was moving for about 30 seconds or so and noticed some sluggishness for a split second, then seemed ok. Another 3 or 4 minutes later, engine died on me, and had to pull over, causing a minor inconvenience to other road users (30kph zone, so probably not a major hazard). Tried restarting a few times, but nothing, felt like it was out of fuel. Fuel guage said 1/4 tank. So waited a few minutes, deciding what to do. Seemed like 10 minutes (but was probably shorter), tried again, and engine burst into life like it normally does. Drove to a car park, had a look inside engine compartment, and there was a bit of water inside, near some electrical plugs, on the wheel side where I hit the puddle; one plug looked a bit like it wasn't fully plugged in, and this whole area was fairly damp.

I'm guessing the symptoms point towards some temporary water on electrics problem? What would any more knowledgeable folk here think?

Car drove home without any problems. I'm in Dublin, and we had quite a bit of rain these past 24 hours. Car is a 95 Seat Cordoba, so a VW engine. Anything I should think about doing to any plugs, like unplug them, and apply some silicon grease or what would be recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Go mental with WD-40. :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement