Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta problems

Options
  • 06-09-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have a 98 fiesta and yesterday i was out driving when out of nowhere the car started with a clicking noise. It sounded as if it was coming from 1 of the wheels. Over a few minutes, the noise got so bad that, there was smoke. Im not sure if the smoke has anything to do with it. I pulled in and gave it a break and it was fine for 10 minutes when i started to get a weird noise again. It wasn't the clicking noise though. It was a type of noise as if i was dragging it along.
    I have had problems before with the brake pads and squeling before so im not sure if its anything to do with that.
    Has anyone any ideas what might be causing the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

by the sounds of noise you explained it might be a fecked wheel bearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

minxie1 wrote: »
    by the sounds of noise you explained it might be a fecked wheel bearing

Is that good or bad? Is it safe to drive until i get it fixed?
    I should have also said that i took it to the mechanic but then the car was fine for him until i was driving home again. So its a noise that is coming and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

lisajane wrote: »
    Is that good or bad? Is it safe to drive until i get it fixed?
    I should have also said that i took it to the mechanic but then the car was fine for him until i was driving home again. So its a noise that is coming and going.
    had the misfortune to have a "borrowed" car from a garage
    a while back, heard a bit of banging like you said, then black smoke came from out of wheel, rang them and they said it was a bearing and not to drive it as wheel might come off. sounds similar,but cant be sure.
    dont think it costs too much if it is tho.
    am sure you will get the right answer here tho....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

My geuss would be that it's a piece of the lining of the rear brake shoe has come away and is lodging between the shoe and the drum.

You say it was fine for 10 mins after giving it a break. This doesn't point to a wheel bearing.

Have a mechanic have a look at it. I wouldn't drive it until you know whats causing it. The wheel could lock up completely, leaving you needing a truck to get the car home or to a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Avns1s wrote: »
    My geuss would be that it's a piece of the lining of the rear brake shoe has come away and is lodging between the shoe and the drum.

You say it was fine for 10 mins after giving it a break. This doesn't point to a wheel bearing.

Have a mechanic have a look at it. I wouldn't drive it until you know whats causing it. The wheel could lock up completely, leaving you needing a truck to get the car home or to a garage.
    ftfy

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

esel wrote: »
    ftfy

Thanks Esel!:o

Advertisement