Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n85 release date anyone ?

• 06-09-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭

went into a few shops on Grafton St today and just got blank looks. [ or E66 or N96 ] . Looking for SimFree for any of those models.

Am I just plain stupid asking the shops when they will have it in, because the same old "you must be stupid asking us, because we only sell the things" look was gotten in all of the shops.

Also why don't some of the companies like Carphone Warehouse just ring a few lads in Hong Kong and get a pallet full of them shipped or flown over and sell them at a good margin ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Most of the shops won't have a clue when new phones are due out.
    Vodafone on Henry St. in Dublin, for example, claim they'll only be told the week before a new handset arrives.
    I don't know what the secrecy is all about really - it's hardly like we're the first place to get a new handset when they come out. i reckon they're missing out by not creating a bit of interest with definite release dates.
    You'll probably see it mentioned here as soon as a new phone surfaces in a shop.
    I didn't know CW sold SIM free phones - I thought they got their cash from the networks for selling contracts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

N85 won't be here until October. You'll probably be able to buy it from a UK based website by the end of September though. Got this info by simply trawling the internet looking for info on it. Have been waiting along time for a gadget(phone/mp3 player/Sat Nav in one with good battery) for a long time! It'll be roughly €450

The N96 (which is basically the N85 with double the memory) won't be here till January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm looking at getting this phone too - was looking at the N96 but i don't need the extra memory and I don't think the tv function will be of any use here so I don't think it is worth the extra price. Hopefully i can pick up the N85 but have to se how the finances are - might have to settle for the N81.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    The N96 (which is basically the N85 with double the memory) won't be here till January

Nokia have already shipped the N96 to retailers. Should be available to the public in the next few weeks contact free.

foobar wrote: »
    Nokia have already shipped the N96 to retailers. Should be available to the public in the next few weeks contact free.

If that is the case I'm still gonna go for the N85. The only advantage I can see is the 8 GB extra space and TV application (which lets face it will be no good in ireland for another couple of yrs probably!). Anyway, mobile review did a review of the N85 and said they put in a 32GB sd card which worked fine, so can always upgrade the memory. Also screen on N85 is much better....yes, I'm really trying to convince myself here! :D

oh, N85 battery is better too!!

• Advertisement

If that is the case

Its shipped alright - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/7963_Nokia_N96_starts_shipping_in_s.php

I think the n85 is a better deal as well. But i have a N95 8g and I am used to the bigger screen. Not sure if i will like the smaller but brighter screen.

Expansys.ie have the N85 listed at €560, which is 100 more than I had hoped and can probably afford.

Might take a closer look at the SE G900.

Damn, was set on the N85

Tauren wrote: »
    Expansys.ie have the N85 listed at €560, which is 100 more than I had hoped and can probably afford.

Might take a closer look at the SE G900.

Damn, was set on the N85

saw that earlier myself :eek: I'm hopefully getting it through work so can get it VAT free, which still means a chunky €442 though. All sources I could find said it was retailing at €450 (inc VAT)...

saw that earlier myself :eek: I'm hopefully getting it through work so can get it VAT free, which still means a chunky €442 though. All sources I could find said it was retailing at €450 (inc VAT)...

Yeah - I was hoping the 450 price was correct, i was prepared to pay that for the phone, but it is just that bit too expensive for me at 560. Maybe it will come down a bit before christmas but i doubt it will come down by 100 in that space of time, maybe by next christmas!

Will probably have to take a look at the N81, or SE G900, phones around that price bracket. disappointing cause I was set on the N85. Might still be able to swing it so Mrs. Claus foots some of the bill, but thats a big 'might' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭trellheim

expansys prerelease prices are no guide of a real world price. [ crosses fingers ]

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    expansys prerelease prices are no guide of a real world price. [ crosses fingers ]

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Any more release date info on this phone. My 2 1/2 yr old SE K750i is starting to show its age and I'm looking at the N85 as a replacement. Will any Irish provider be stocking this phone anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nothing as changed yet! Google is your friend!

Expansys now showing an expected date of 20 Oct 08,

time to start queue-barging.

:D:D:D

Anyone know if the N85 will have the exact same bluetooth setip as the N95? Looking at getting this phone and one of the big things is it must work with the THB BURY carkit which I already have in my car. The N95 does everything with it (voice dial, message reading, contacts download), as do most of the Nokia phones and I would hate to get this phone and find that it doesn't!

'tis gone on "In Stock" in Italy
    €549 with VAT included :eek:

http://shop.nokia.it/nokia-it/product.aspx?sku=3881176&culture=it-IT

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Couple on sale on ebay from power sellers for around 520e delivered. Good price for it or wait until it is released in more countries and check price then?

Any links to those one's you were looking at mate?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

here ya go mate

too expenseive for me at the moment

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__nokia-n85?_nkw=nokia%20n85&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=200&_udhi=500

the nokia n96 can be gotten on ebay for 500 so just matter of time before the n85 goes down in price

but i see singapore sellers have a make an offer

so you'd never know

but how does customs work then
    how much will they charge ya

• Advertisement

Wonder how long until the phone is a bit cheaper cos I really need a new phone and this is the one I want. The n96 has dropped 100e from 780e to 669e in only a couple of weeks. Wonder how long for this to be 400-440e on ebay?

Ah yeah they're the same one's I was looking at!

Make an offer of €400 and see what the reaction is!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Make an offer of €400 and see what the reaction is!

yap was going to do so

ill be making an offer on friday

I made two bids of 400e and 425 and both were rejected :(

I made two bids of 400e and 425 and both were rejected :(

any counter offer

No it just said the seller has rejected your offer. its the 1st time i made a bid on anything on ebay using best offer. What comes next? just keep offering until one is accepted?

• Advertisement

No it just said the seller has rejected your offer. its the 1st time i made a bid on anything on ebay using best offer. What comes next? just keep offering until one is accepted?

i put in a best offer on a ebay item the other day, he rejected it but made me a counter offer which i accepted

that singapore seller probly has it set up to accept a certain offer

contact him and ask him whats hes best price

tell him ull probly get stung by customs so you need a very good price

or whats even better, ask him to make you a counter offer +++++++++++++++++++++++

Advertisement