Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n85 release date anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Headshot really want to get this phone!
    The sound level as in the call sound level or ringtone or mp3 player, what do you mean by bad. beause if the mp3 sucks then that puts the phone out of the running :(
    Not looking for a camera replacement so once the camera takes decent pics i don't care.

i was talking about the mp3 player

but maybe it was just me

but i did alot to get better sounds like chaging the format of the songs to Aac+
    but no look

but heres the important bit i never used the earphones
    so the mp3 player is probly alot better that way

the phones isnt worth over 400 euro

if ya can get it for 400 euro
    get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

looking at buying it from Pixmania, but i can't see an option to de-select the zen engagement offer, which i don't particular want as the 2 year warranty should cover any refund issues if the phone breaks. anyone know if Pixmania have made it mandatory or if i'm just blind and can't see the option to remove it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Tauren wrote: »
    looking at buying it from Pixmania, but i can't see an option to de-select the zen engagement offer, which i don't particular want as the 2 year warranty should cover any refund issues if the phone breaks. anyone know if Pixmania have made it mandatory or if i'm just blind and can't see the option to remove it?

1. On the "ORDER SUMMARY" page, there is a paragraph regarding the ZEN Engagement and what it entails.
    2. Click on the "(Find out more)" link and a pop-up window appears.
    3. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and then select "I do not subscribe to the Zen Engagement" and click "CONTINUE".

It took me a while before I figured out how to do it when I was buying something from them recently; it's a pain in the....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Anyone know when the various networks will have this available? Is this side of Xmas too much to hope for. I'm torn between the N85, the SE 905 and the SE X1 Xperia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

aaf wrote: »
    Anyone know when the various networks will have this available? Is this side of Xmas too much to hope for. I'm torn between the N85, the SE 905 and the SE X1 Xperia.

why would u think the irish networks will have any of the above anytime soon

also they are 3 completely different phones

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    1. On the "ORDER SUMMARY" page, there is a paragraph regarding the ZEN Engagement and what it entails.
    2. Click on the "(Find out more)" link and a pop-up window appears.
    3. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and then select "I do not subscribe to the Zen Engagement" and click "CONTINUE".

It took me a while before I figured out how to do it when I was buying something from them recently; it's a pain in the....!

jesus - thats customer focused usability RyanAir would be ashamed of!!

Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

How reliable would pixmania's pre-priceing usually? Is it likely to go up once release date comes?

aaf wrote: »

I certainly doubt that the X1 will be hitting our shores this side of Christmas; much to my dismay. It was only launched in the UK last week, so it's doubtful that we'd get it here until the New Year.

I just saw a smartphone roadmap from Nokia and the N85 is getting a refresh with 8-16GB of ROM. The info is here.

Please note that a lot of handsets are currently in development, and may not necessarily reach the market, but it makes for interesting reading.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I just saw a smartphone roadmap from Nokia and the N85 is getting a refresh with 8-16GB of ROM. The info is here.

Please note that a lot of handsets are currently in development, and may not necessarily reach the market, but it makes for interesting reading.

I don't know what that means (:o)

Does it mean a firmware update that will add functionality (ability to read a higher capacity card) or that there will be an N85 with 8/16GB of internal mem?

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    I don't know what that means (:o)

Does it mean a firmware update that will add functionality (ability to read a higher capacity card) or that there will be an N85 with 8/16GB of internal mem?

From what I read, it would mean the N85 would be updated and be released as the N85 8/16GB. I imagine, knowing how Nokia work, it would follow the N95 update i.e. N95 => N95 8GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭trellheim

Xenon flash to be added ,prob the biggest missing thing on the N85 !

Given though that the link above shows N85 @ 2007 wk50 complete and it's not officially in ROI as yet, and it also shows the refresh at 2008 wk40 ... it'll be some time yet boyos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

trellheim wrote: »
    Xenon flash to be added ,prob the biggest missing thing on the N85 !

Given though that the link above shows N85 @ 2007 wk50 complete and it's not officially in ROI as yet, and it also shows the refresh at 2008 wk40 ... it'll be some time yet boyos

Those dates refer to prototype availability, not release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 michaelcoregan8

foobar wrote: »
    +1
    +1 more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

So has anyone bought one of these babies yet? I've ordered mine from E-Cell on Ebay from the UK. With the sterling prices I paid €380 including delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hope you arent in a rush

they are notoriously slow to post

Cyrus wrote: »
    hope you arent in a rush

they are notoriously slow to post

Ya, I realised that, no big panic though. I'm expecting to be waiting about 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

Expect to get one from Hong Kong.....

Although 380 is a good deal! I paid 480 or thre abouts for mine off Pixmania but it was delivered in 3 days.

It's a class phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

custom charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

How much could these custom charges be and how likely are you to be charged them?

Apart from ecell taking their time is there any risk of getting a fake off them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Depends on what the carrier charges you if it's one that charges a customs fee even if it didn't get stopped! This charges are usually bogus and if you break it down don't met the charges Revenue would have charged you if it had been stopped!

They are fairly reliable so don't need to be worrying bout fakes!

bazcaz wrote: »

Apart from ecell taking their time is there any risk of getting a fake off them?

They come with manufacturers warranty and the whole product package as you'd buy from a high-street shop as far as I know. I presume you could contact Nokia and make sure the warranty is sound if you're worried about fakes. Their customer feedback on Ebay in relation to their sales is sound. Then again, I've not received my phone yet so I'll reserve judgement on them till I get it :pac:

SH!TE!! You're right it seems. They ship expensive items like mobiles from hong kong. Man, I usually do my homework before buying online. I've done so much dancing around buying this phone I just wanted to get it bought. They list their location as Manchester but closer inspection of the feedback reveals that more expensive items seem to have poor feedback about the length of time they take to post....Ah well, I'll probably have to cough up import tax too...balls!

Anyway, I'll let ye know how I get on, if I ever get the thing :o:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    So has anyone bought one of these babies yet? I've ordered mine from E-Cell on Ebay from the

UK. With the sterling prices I paid €380 including delivery

I ordered mine from Ecell as well on New years.

It comes from HK? bugger, the ebay page said dispatched from Manchester... and the order confirmation says it will be sent by Royal mail and delivery will be 1-3 days for standard post... are they lying? :o

I'm away for another fortnight so hopefully I'll have it when I get back. Their email said that electronic items will take normally 5 working days to dispatch (porbably so they can scamper around China looking for a cheap one) so I've my fingers crossed it'll be in the post some time this week.

Can't wait, much better than the N96.
    -Better battery
    -Better screen
    -Better size/shape (IMO)
    -Better price
    -Better OS
    -FM transmitter

The TV reciever is useless in Ireland and UK, now and probably forever as far as the lifetime of the phone is concerned! The 16Gb onboard memory is missed but with SDHC I just exand as needed. I've heard mixed reports about build quality esp. with the slider, will have to wait and see. I played with one in the Nokia store in NYC and it was perfect.

theCzar wrote: »

It comes from HK? bugger, the ebay page said dispatched from Manchester... and the order confirmation says it will be sent by Royal mail and delivery will be 1-3 days for standard post... are they lying? :o

I'm away for another fortnight so hopefully I'll have it when I get back. Their email said that electronic items will take normally 5 working days to dispatch (porbably so they can scamper around China looking for a cheap one) so I've my fingers crossed it'll be in the post some time this week.

Can't wait, much better than the N96.
    -Better battery
    -Better screen
    -Better size/shape (IMO)
    -Better price
    -Better OS
    -FM transmitter

The TV reciever is useless in Ireland and UK, now and probably forever as far as the lifetime of the phone is concerned! The 16Gb onboard memory is missed but with SDHC I just exand as needed. I've heard mixed reports about build quality esp. with the slider, will have to wait and see. I played with one in the Nokia store in NYC and it was perfect.
    The TV isn't useless in the UK as you can use the BBC iPlayer on the N96!!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    The TV isn't useless in the UK as you can use the BBC iPlayer on the N96!!!
    the Iplayer is a seperate thing to the TV tuner (AFAIK) it doesn't pick up a TV signal, it downloads its content via the web.

Further, the N85 supports Iplayer as well! I'd actually really like to use Iplayer but its UK only.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/nokia-n85-now-supports-bbc-iplayer-494617

Yeah but it's the agreement between Nokia and the BBC to make up for the TV tuner not being readily available!!!

theCzar wrote: »

I ordered mine on the 2nd so we're pretty much in the same boat. Let me know when you get yours and I'll do the same so the other person at least has a good idea of when it should arrive...hopefully we're not waiting until Easter! :eek:

kmart6 wrote: »
    Yeah but it's the agreement between Nokia and the BBC to make up for the TV tuner not being readily available!!!

I think BBC are just trying to get the Iplayer out to everybody in Britain, its available for the Iphone as well which doesn't have a tuner either.

So to summarise, I stand steadfastly by my original words, the TV tuner is useless in Britain and Ireland (!!!) :D
    Bass Cadet wrote:
    I ordered mine on the 2nd so we're pretty much in the same boat. Let me know when you get yours and I'll do the same so the other person at least has a good idea of when it should arrive...hopefully we're not waiting until Easter! :eek:

Good idea, will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I ordered my Nokia N85 from E-Cell on the 29th December. Got an email from them today confirming the dispatch of the N85. I will let y'all know how it is when I get it in the post. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Advertisement