Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n85 release date anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

glenn_lfc wrote: »
    Yea the n85 looks pretty cool. Is there much difference between that and the n78?
    The N78 has a smaller screen, instead of a slider keypad. Not sure about the functions, I believe they are broadly similar. wifi, gps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

I got mine today off e-bay well impressed,my first N series phone, might take a while to figure out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

manufan16 wrote: »
    I got mine today off e-bay well impressed,my first N series phone, might take a while to figure out :)
    Simply enough really!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭rocks1981

FINALLY arrived.

2 weeks, 2 days, and 2 hours after ordering.

must say im rightly impressed, have absolutely no issues so far. bar the german instructions, and the 2 pin charger. (they also included a standard nokia charger with it? absolutely useless!!!)

had to install the software before it would charge off the USB, but working now

Its been my first upgrade in 2 +1/2 years, from the N80. So extremely happy with my purchase.

Fm transmittor is disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

rocks1981 wrote: »

can you enable it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    can you enable it???

Yup, if you change the product code using NSS to Europe you can then do a firmware upgrade and Nokia's Update Software will install the Europe firmware, removing all the restrictions placed on the Asian model.

As far as I know Nokia havn't updated the update software to accept the N85 yet, but as soon as it does, this is the route you can take to get it enabled!

So don't worry, it can be done.

Yes, i have just enabled it. i had trouble with the NSS recognising the phone so uninstalled all Nokia software first.

however you dont need a software update, you can Reinstall the current software version.

I now have a working transmitter.

Playing with mine at last too, no probs with mine yet, haven't tried FM transmitter.

Edit: tried the FM transmitter, seems to be working fine.

Have to say I find the loose slider very annoying. It's like trying to write at a table with one leg slightly shorter than all the rest. Hopefully I'll get used to it. If not then I'd consider something else. Apart from that, great phone but takes a bit of getting used to if you're not used to the N series

• Advertisement

Have to say I find the loose slider very annoying. It's like trying to write at a table with one leg slightly shorter than all the rest. Hopefully I'll get used to it. If not then I'd consider something else. Apart from that, great phone but takes a bit of getting used to if you're not used to the N series
    That's annoying. My slider is ever so slightly loose but its not really noticeable. I love mine to pieces, small, sleek and powerful. I upgraded from a SonyEricsson k800i which was decent but not a patch on the N85.

theCzar wrote: »
    That's annoying. My slider is ever so slightly loose but its not really noticeable. I love mine to pieces, small, sleek and powerful. I upgraded from a SonyEricsson k800i which was decent but not a patch on the N85.

Was your instruction book in German? I can't seem to find the FM transmitter function on it at all...any ideas? It doesn't seem to be listed in the 'applications' or 'tools' menu. (by the way, I'm in the states right now, dunno if that would effect it but I'd still expect it to be there...)

No... I got sn english manual.

lets have a look see....

When I play a song, I can go to options and go to "FM transmitter" where I can enable disable it and set a frequency. Alternatively, I can go to the main menu - music - FM Transmit...

No... I got sn english manual.

lets have a look see....

When I play a song, I can go to options and go to "FM transmitter" where I can enable disable it and set a frequency. Alternatively, I can go to the main menu - music - FM Transmit...

Weird, it seems to be completely missing on mine :confused:

rocks1981 wrote: »

You seem to have gotten the same skanky package as me with the German instructions. How did you work the FM transmitter? There is no sign of it at all in any of the applications on my handset...

Also...my battery only seems to hold a charge for around 12 hours, that can't be right surely?...WTF?? I charged it overnight the first day I got it. Looks like I got completely skanked...

Sounds like a raw deal!

Ecell must have sourced yours from somewhere else. My battery says BL-5K on the back, did you check its 1200ma-h?

Sounds like a raw deal!

Ecell must have sourced yours from somewhere else. My battery says BL-5K on the back, did you check its 1200ma-h?

SAme battery. How long should a full charge last?

impossible to say really what with the million possible permutations of use. but I've been fairly impressed with the durability of mine. I haven't used it for video or music at all yet really, but with limited use of calls, wifi and bluetooth, the battery is lasting me 3/4 days between charges.

impossible to say really what with the million possible permutations of use. but I've been fairly impressed with the durability of mine. I haven't used it for video or music at all yet really, but with limited use of calls, wifi and bluetooth, the battery is lasting me 3/4 days between charges.

thats what I was thinking...about 3 days average. This is getting sent back

• Advertisement

thats what I was thinking...about 3 days average. This is getting sent back

B@stards wouldn't accept the return. E-Cell are complete scum...AVOID

'Rocks1981#...you seem to have gotten the same german version as me however, the FM transmitter doesn't seem to be appearing. I've tried changing the product code but nothing...NSS doesn't even give me an option to reinstall the firmware!! Anyone got any advice on reinstalling the firmware some other way?

Sorry to hear that. You send it back and they decided it wasn't faulty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭trellheim

Had mine 3 weeks now. Was on a stag weekend last weekend, charged Sat 10 AM , took loads of flash pictures , loads of calls
    ran out of charge 2 AM thursday .... so that's 5 1/2 days battery . love the screen for video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I noticed on play.com this morning that they're doing a special on the N85 this week - only £299. If I wasn't waiting on the n97 I'd be jumping on this.

Bluefrog wrote: »
    I noticed on play.com this morning that they're doing a special on the N85 this week - only £299. If I wasn't waiting on the n97 I'd be jumping on this.

or 390 Euro....

I hate the way play.com won't use the going exchange rate or even let you pay in sterling for non-UK deliverys. Basically they're overcharging by 40 GBP if you pay in Euro. Mind you, it means Amazon are vaguely competitive again on some items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Ouch, didn't know about that - still, I guess it wouldn't be that difficult for most people to organise a UK purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Yeah lads, beware of that ECell crowd - they're well dodgy....bought an N79 from them and it had chinese characters on the keys and the build quality was really bad...luckily they refunded my money, but I would avoid if I were you....they don't specify that they sell foreign crap!

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Ouch, didn't know about that - still, I guess it wouldn't be that difficult for most people to organise a UK purchase.
    Aye, a relative/friend in Belfast or something would be handiest.

Update! After the FM transmitter and software debacle I kind of left the N85 to rot in the corner but have recently had the courage to attempt it again with no luck so then I tried to load music onto it and lo and behold, the Nokia music transfer software recognises my N85 as an 'Nokia S60'...:D WHAT THE F***??

I really am sickened by how much this phone has disappointed me. I realise most people here are happy with their purchase but from the gammy plastic, loose build quality to the confusing, utterly useless user interface design, not to mention the many, many bugs I've come accross, this phone is a piece of sh!te...I'm away to start saving for a 3G iphone and eat some humble pie in front of the bird who bought an iphone at the same time I bought the N85. There is simply no comparison between the 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

There is simply no comparison between the 2
    I would agree; one's a touchscreen and the other is a standard handset.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your N85. If you don't mind me asking, how come you bought a standard handset if you were, from what I gather from your last post, interested in a touchscreen handset like the iPhone?

Advertisement