Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water cooled graphics

Options
  • 06-09-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I've been looking to upgrade my 8800 GTS for a while now and was waiting for the 4870 X2
    only problem is in the reviews it says it sounds like a plane taking off! :mad:
    I've spent quite a bit of money keeping my PC quiet and it will all be a waste of money if I stick in a 4870 X2
    I've heard the GTX 280 isn't much quieter either.
    Which brings me to water cooling. i've always looked on water cooling as something extreme that serious overclockers are into, but I think I'll have to get a cooling system to have both quality graphics and my sanity.
    Does anyone on these boards have a reccommendation for a brand of water block and cooling system, or, even better an alternative to a water system setup.
    Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

After spending most of this morning looking at Water cooling systems mainly from Koolance and Zalman I've decided to scratch the water cooling plan.
    As I was putting all the components neccessary into my shopping basket I realised water cooling is expensive business. :o
    Can anyone offer any advice on how to shut a 4870 X2 up???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You could always buy a 3rd party cooler like Zalman's VF1000. Although I've also read about people having problems with it. What kind of case have you got. A very well insulated case like a Lian-Li will go a long way to reducing the noise levels from fans. Your right about the watercooling though, its madness when you add up all the costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Cheers 4 d reply Al,
    Might have a look at somethin like that zalman.
    My case is a gigabyte 3D aurora
    Mayb it would b as cheap 2 buy silent case as splash out on an expensive cooler...............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yep had the Aurora case myself as well, its in the attic now! The aluminum panels on it are very thin and I really noticed the reduction in noise when I got a Antec P182. I think theres an even newer version on this case which is probably quieter again?

Getting a new case might be a better idea as well because I think if you change the stock cooler on the graphics card then you void the warranty. Could be wrong about that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I run mine at 50% when gaming. It's loud but I had earphones on and don't take heed of it.
    You could set it lower. 35-40% would be loads.
    50% drops the temp down to approx 40-50c no bother.
    I don't know what the fuss is about temps.
    My 8800GTX idles at between 70-83c and it didn't do any harm to that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement