Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying Roundup on Corn

• 06-09-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

I have heard a lot of anectodal evidence of farmers spraying corn with weedkiller just before harvesting.
    I was wondering is this in line with rules and regulations, or more importantly is it safe for peoples health?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm sure it recommends a period where crops should not be harvested after its use...

Found it... http://www.dhm.ie/products/herb/roundup-biactive2.pdf

Why would they want to do that. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have heard a lot of anectodal evidence of farmers spraying corn with weedkiller just before harvesting.
    I was wondering is this in line with rules and regulations, or more importantly is it safe for peoples health?

Farmers spray their crops with roundup to lower the moisture levels in the crops and thus helping to preserve it and save money drying it. About 40% of crops are sprayed with roundup before harvesting. Roundup or glyphosate is made up of isopropylamine salt which is absorbed through foliage and translocated to growing points. Because of this mode of action, it is only effective on actively growing plants. Because of our climate it is often necessary to spray crops with roundup in order to ensure a harvest - other option could be to leave it to rot into the ground. Farmers will only use it when it is absolutely necessary. Crops are safe for human or animal consumption within 10 days of them being sprayed with roundup.

Other crops are sprayed with preservatives - ever wonder how supermarket grapes stay fresh for weeks? Or have you ever compared a home grown head of lettuce to a shop bought head?

Preservatives - much more harmful than roundup!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't eat anything that has been sprayed with roundup.
    There is a lot of evidence that shows Roundup to be more toxic than it appears to be.
    this research show it to be an endocrine disruptor.
    Nasty stuff IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wouldn't eat anything that has been sprayed with roundup.
    There is a lot of evidence that shows Roundup to be more toxic than it appears to be.
    this research show it to be an endocrine disruptor.
    Nasty stuff IMO.

Then you need to stop eating bread or any grain based food. Give up Guinness and any other beer or spirit brewed from Irish grain products. You could live on red meat and dairy products, but all the animals have been fed on grain. :)

But seriously, I do agree with you about the dangers of Roundup and I would encourage people to buy organic - or even better, grow their own food if they have a garden or a bit of land. Keep a pig, calf or lamb to kill and buy a deep freeze. Its the only way to be 100% sure of what you're eating.

I seriously believe that the increase in cancer cases can be fully linked to the increase in pesticides in the last 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

reilig wrote: »
    You could live on red meat and dairy products

I worked in a dairy related industury for 5 years... Would regularly see lquid milk suppliers pour hypochlorite directly into tanks of milk rather than keep up decent hygene standards... yet I still use dairy products..

Most commercially produced food will have a horror story in its production cycle somewhere.. and if you avoided them all you would either starve or have a miserable exsistance..

I'd imagine if you ate noithing only cerals which were sprayed with roundup it might be a problem...

Best advice is to eat as varied a diet as possible, as fresh as possible... it spreads the risk and improves your overall nutritional intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

You guys should watch this documentary about Monsanto called The World According to Monsanto

Scary ****!

Advertisement