Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Ideas? UPC Broadband Issues

Options
  • 06-09-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi everyone ,

This is my first post here at Boards ie, and I've just got in the UPC/Chorus Broadband Ultra Package 20meg connection..tv is fine etc..phone no worries...but the I have installed on my firstly D-Link DWl-G510 wireless card and was using that to talk to there cable modem but I was only getting speeds of 723k when it should at 1300-1700...

so a friend suggested that it was the wireless setup and hook a laptop up to the modem directly via the Ethernet, and he was right..it was coming in a 1700kbps sweet..I think the laptop was using a 400mbps local lan onboard...

so I went out and brought a cat6 20meter Ethernet cable and wired it from the modem to my PC upstairs , thinking it was the wireless at fault and still I'm only getting 720kbps..on the PC in my bedroom and I'm wonder would it be my Lan on my PC not being fast enough for this type of bandwidth? it's on board "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC 100mbps" do need to get a better Ethernet card for this type of bandwidth? anyone recommend a good Ethernet card? as it's a waste at the moment not getting the full speed..and the laptop is lower spec than my PC..lol that's the gas part about it all..

is there something locked in windows xp for limiting the speeds of this type of bandwidth via the lan connection? I'm thinking it my Ethernet connection on board the mother board of the pc

anyways..if anyone can help..I'm sure I could return the flavor in some way or another..

:)

ps. does anyone here know what the "outlook outmail" SMTP address for UPC.ie? using with outlook express?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

Solidius wrote: »
    Hi everyone ,

This is my first post here at Boards ie, and I've just got in the UPC/Chorus Broadband Ultra Package 20meg connection..tv is fine etc..phone no worries...but the I have installed on my firstly D-Link DWl-G510 wireless card and was using that to talk to there cable modem but I was only getting speeds of 723k when it should at 1300-1700...

so a friend suggested that it was the wiresless setup and hook a laptop up to the modem directly via the ethernet, and he was right..it was coming in a 1700kbps sweet..I think the laptop was using a 400mbps local lan onboard...

so I went out and brought a cat6 20meter ethernet cable and wired it from the modem to my PC upstairs , thinking it was the wireless at fault and still I'm only getting 720kbps..on the PC in my bedroom and I'm wonder would it be my Lan on my PC not being fast enough for this type of bandwidth? it's onboard "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC 100mbps" do need to get a better ethernet card for this type of bandwidth? anyone recommend a good ethernet card? as it's a waste at the moment not getting the full speed..and the laptop is lower spec than my PC..lol that's the gas part about it all..

anyways..if anyone can help..I'm sure I could return the flavor in some way or another..

:)

are you sure you are actually using the Ethernet ? if you have the wifi still on the laptop might still be using that. it would explain the slow sped. Ethernet is a top speed 100mb more than enough for 20mb connection

go into the network connections and right click disable the wifi why you have the Ethernet cable plugged in. you might need to right click repair on the Ethernet connection to get an ip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

the 100mbps ethernet card on the PC is well capable of handling the speed, id suggest:
    1. Drag PC down to router and use a short ethernet cable, this will remove any issue with the cable youre using.
    2. If 1 doesnt work, update the drivers for your mobo/network card, disable any firewalls or anything that might get in the way, make sure the ethernet hardware in device manager is set to full duplex, other than that i cant see what else would cause such a huge difference between the laptop and your PC, unless youve got a load of crap running that using the network also as youre speed testing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Solidius

rrolfe wrote: »
    are you sure you are actually using the Ethernet ? if you have the wifi still on the laptop might still be using that. it would explain the slow sped. Ethernet is a top speed 100mb more than enough for 20mb connection

go into the network connections and right click disable the wifi why you have the Ethernet cable plugged in. you might need to right click repair on the Ethernet connection to get an ip

Laptop has been total disconnected from the modem..wifi all turned off on both laptop and PC...and I have a Ethernet cable connected to the pc and modem..only difference is it's 20ft away..plus it's a cat 6 cable..which I believe to suppose to deliver high speed fiber optically down the cable..than a cat 5 cable..that's why I got that cable rather than a cable cat 5 Ethernet one
    lmimmfn said: the 100mbps Ethernet card on the PC is well capable of handling the speed, id suggest:
    1. Drag PC down to router and use a short Ethernet cable, this will remove any issue with the cable youre using.
    2. If 1 doesn't work, update the drivers for your mobo/network card, disable any firewalls or anything that might get in the way, make sure the Ethernet hardware in device manager is set to full duplex, other than that i cant see what else would cause such a huge difference between the laptop and your PC, unless youve got a load of crap running that using the network also as youre speed testing it
    it build into the motherboard it is not a PC express card installed inside..so I'm wondering it it that?...the motherboard is about 2yrs old now..The Dulex is set to ..100 full..and I have maybe only 39 processes working in the task manager, nothing jamming the network from what I can see, firewall software swtiched off aswell as the window firwall. Is there any other deep setting I could tweak to improve the lan connection thru XP?.. thanx for the help guys...really appreciate it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Try downloading a file (or a couple of files simultaneously) from Heanet, that will give you a true idea of your speed, many of the online speedtest sites struggle with higher speed connections.

I'm already using the Usernet with grabit 1.7.1 and still capping speeds at 780kbps or lower...so to eliminate the issues I have raised above..I hooked up the laptop upstairs where the PC was and hooked up the Ethernet cable (20ft one) to it..and it gave me full bandwidth at 2.3mbps so..it's looks like it's my motherboard Lan connect isn't up to the job...and PC and laptop are using Windows Xp Pro Service pak 2..but I can't use the Laptop for downloads as it isn't mind..it's a friends :(

but the the Local Connection Lan on the Laptop is a "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller" this is giving me full maximum speeds , where as the "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC 100mbps" running off the Motherboard isn't..so I think the lan socket is crap or faulty somewhere or there is a limiter on this device..so I'm gonna go up to PC world 2moro to get a PC express Ethernet Card..and see if that will sort it...and I've done speed tests on the net and it show the bandwidth at 2.6mbps full...I'll keep updated with the progress

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Update your routers firmware and test the speed with ethernet. If you get full speed on one and not another system, must be some either hardware or driver issue for your LAn card. 10/100 cards can run up to 100Mbit, so the problem is not capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some Drivers for the RTL8139 arn't great. It's quite old & cheap and also you may have to configure it to 100Mbps Duplex otherwise it may be 10Mbps half-duplex by default.

Pete4779 wrote:
    Update your routers firmware and test the speed with ethernet. If you get full speed on one and not another system, must be some either hardware or driver issue for your LAn card. 10/100 cards can run up to 100Mbit, so the problem is not capacity.

I've done that mate..still not working :(
    watty wrote: »
    Some Drivers for the RTL8139 arn't great. It's quite old & cheap and also you may have to configure it to 100Mbps Duplex otherwise it may be 10Mbps half-duplex by default.

Ok..I've Switch off the on board Lan connection and when out and bought a Belkin Gigabit PC express card 10/100/1000mbps card..updated the drivers for it..set it to full duplex 100/1000 and I'm still only getting 730-820kbps (usernet downloads)..I'm now beginning to think it's my mother board..it's an Asus p4p800x (AMI) Firmware only updated to the last firmware only yesterday...socket 778 board about 3yrs old..or do I need to reformat xp with service pack 3 installed or maybe there is a closed port on my system which is preventing the bandwidth coming through?...I'm starting to have a royal pain in the arse with this now..I may have to start looking at a new PC..so I can take avail of the bandwidth...any suggestions on opening ports that could be closing the bandwidth off?

any help would be great thanks..;)

try booting in safe mode with networking and speed test it again, it has to be software related unless theres some funky bios option for networking?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    try booting in safe mode with networking and speed test it again, it has to be software related unless theres some funky bios option for networking?

I did that mate..still no joy...and the onboard Lan was switched off from the bios as I'm using a PCI Express Ethernet Card now..it's freak'in mystery to why and how this is not working right...as I said , I convinced it's a port issue on xp or a re installation of XP to fix the problem..or maybe it the mother board..:( I Don't know now anymore..I've ran out of Idea regarding it, it's strange that this hasn't happened to anyone else..I've been a good boy all year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Change the channel on your wi-fi router. You might be picking up interference from a neighbours wi-fi

Change the channel on your wi-fi router. You might be picking up interference from a neighbours wi-fi

I'm not using the wi-fi router..I'm going direct via Ethernet now..and still not joy..the modem isn't handshaking with the PC properly, that's why I was suggesting that I may need to do a reformat..or the there's a closed port somewhere that's stopping the full bandwidth?

Solidius wrote: »
    I'm not using the wi-fi router..I'm going direct via Ethernet now..and still not joy..the modem isn't handshaking with the PC properly, that's why I was suggesting that I may need to do a reformat..or the there's a closed port somewhere that's stopping the full bandwidth?
    i cant see how youre still getting crap speeds, move the PC down to where the ethernet cable starts, at this stage its only guesswork but it will eleminate any issue with the length of the cable, otherwise get another laptop and try it because the one you trieds network card may be able to handle issues with the cable

I dont understand what you mean by ports on xp? have you uninstalled the mobo ethernet drivers also? when you type out ipconfig /all is it only giving you 1 network ip address for the PC? you dont also have a usb wifi stick connected to the pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The cable modem will link to the mac address of the first connected device which was your router. If you want to connect your computer then you need to power cycle the modem to get it to recognize the new mac address .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Also, try using a Cat5 or Cat5e cable rather than the Cat6 cable. I know certain devices don't like whatever it is about them.

The cable modem will link to the mac address of the first connected device which was your router. If you want to connect your computer then you need to power cycle the modem to get it to recognize the new mac address .

so how do I do that...power the modem off? and switch it on again?
    soundman wrote:
    Also, try using a Cat5 or Cat5e cable rather than the Cat6 cable. I know certain devices don't like whatever it is about them.

I'll have to disconnect the pc and bring downstairs..as I only have 1ft cat5 cable...:(...the cat6 one is 20ft and I don't fancy taking it out..as it's going up the wall in one room..across in two..so this is turning into a pain in the nuts to do this idea..but I need to find the answer, will give it a try and see what happens
    lmimmfn wrote:
    I dont understand what you mean by ports on xp? have you uninstalled the mobo Ethernet drivers also? when you type out ipconfig /all is it only giving you 1 network ip address for the PC? you dont also have a usb wifi stick connected to the pc?

sorry I don't understand mobo drivers?..where are thoses?...I've typed up the Ipconfig /all ..here what it read :
    2vj3g3n.jpg

and no I don't have a USB wi-fi device installed..and I meant by ports was..Ip port address that may be closed to prevent maximum bandwidth..so if you can see anything in that above image that should be on or off..please let me know..thanks ;)

P.S. does anyone out there know what the SMTP address for outlook express [outgoing mail] for UPC is? ..as I can't send frek'in emails through outlook now..when I changed over..and I'm still wait on support to contact me about it...

Ok..I solved the issue with the slow speeds...it seems that TCP Port was not optimized for the bandwidth coming down the cat 6 cable..so rather than messing with the setting..I discovered that using a program called Tuneup utilities has a section for optimizing TCP port..set it to the highest settings restarted windows and now I'm capping speeds of up to 2.3 mbps via cat 6 Ethernet cable and loving every minute of it...

;)

Advertisement