Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Engine Management Light

Options
  • 06-09-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi, my cousin had a timing belt and water pump replaced last weekend on a 00 Honda Civic, today the engine management light is on. Its not just flicking on and off it's on all the time. Could this be related to having the timing belt and water pump done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

probably a sensor has become disconnected - i'd say ask jhmeg but he's not around he any more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's possible the timing belt replacement could be the cause for bringing it on.

Try disconnecting the battery for at least 10 minutes and reconnecting it - this should clear the light.

If it doesn't, it's probably the wires for the ckp sensor (crankshaft position) rubbing off the alternator belt, which in turn shorts them out. These are secured on the lower timing belt cover and have to be separated when dismantling - if not properly secured when putting back together, the alt belt starts to rub off them and fray the insulation away until the cores start touching.

If this ain't it, it could be a few other things - but a dtc check will have to be done to establish exactly what's wrong.

Was it a main dealer that replaced the timing belt and water pump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Thanks for the replies. Tried disconnecting the battery but the lights still on. Had a quick look couldn't see any wires fouling on the belt but not 100% sure on that. The job wasn't done by a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The wire runs at the rear of the engine, it can be hard to trace without a lift. That's only a suggestion though; it's very likely that that's the problem although it could be something else, like a lambda probe.

If you google "accessing honda civic dtc/fault codes", (like here) you should be able to get the flash code off your dash (engine management light will flash the code out to you - you check what that code relates to.)

If this is a bit too much for you, get someone with the equipment/skills to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

The wire runs at the rear of the engine, it can be hard to trace without a lift. That's only a suggestion though; it's very likely that that's the problem although it could be something else, like a lambda probe.

If you google "accessing honda civic dtc/fault codes", (like here) you should be able to get the flash code off your dash (engine management light will flash the code out to you - you check what that code relates to.)

If this is a bit too much for you, get someone with the equipment/skills to check it out.

Thanks Captain Slow for your very informed replies much appreciated. To update you I left the battery disconnected overnight and the management light is now off. On closer inspection in daylight it looks like a cable is snagging on a belt so your diagnosis seems to have been spot on.

She is going to take it back to where she had the work done tomorrow to have it checked.

Cheers again for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement