Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Assessor Insurance

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Has anyone definitively answered the question "is it necessary to maintain PI insurance for the 10 years after your last BER cert being issued if you have ceased trading?"

Every profession has a follow on period of cover to guard against work done in the past which may haunt you in the future. It applys differently to diferent professions From what i can remember for architectural work contracts under hand (signed only) a period of six years applys from signing the contract work (in this case drawings spec etc) or under seal (company stamp) for which responsibility remains for twelve years.

I am open to and would welcome correction on this as it is only what i remember. from a good while ago.

The BER situation is new as the cert remains in effect for ten years you require cover for this length after the last cert. However as insurance is not compulsary yet then neither is the follow on cover.

My opinion now.

I think if you maintained cover for a six year period it would be suffecient as it is unlikley that the home could be expected to be the same after this long and any survey done on the property then could find completly different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Thank you both, I will enquire about run off cover as I hadn't heard of this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BERarchtech

My understanding is that PI will cover you for the year the claim is made. i.e. if you have insurance for 2009 and a claim is made against you in 2009 either from current work of past woek then your covered.

This would mean that you'd need PI cover until your last BER Cert ran out. meaning if you did your last cert in 2010 then the cliend has 10 years until it runs out so they could technically claim in 2020 and therefore you would need to have teken our PI in 2020 to be covered??

I'm not sure though. I my be way off, I've just sent off my SEI registration and I'm only looking into PI quotes at the moment so if anyone knows better please advise? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

My understanding is that PI will cover you for the year the claim is made. i.e. if you have insurance for 2009 and a claim is made against you in 2009 either from current work of past woek then your covered.

This would mean that you'd need PI cover until your last BER Cert ran out. meaning if you did your last cert in 2010 then the cliend has 10 years until it runs out so they could technically claim in 2020 and therefore you would need to have teken our PI in 2020 to be covered??

I'm not sure though. I my be way off, I've just sent off my SEI registration and I'm only looking into PI quotes at the moment so if anyone knows better please advise? :o

This is as i said i think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BERarchtech

topcatcbr wrote: »
    This is as i said i think ;)

:pac:

sorry! I think we were both writing it at the same time. it just took me a lot longer lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nilaw

Hi, I am just wondering do all BER assessors out there have professional indemnity insurance, I registered a few months ago and didn't really think about it until I read these threads. It is so difficult to get a decent amount of work that the cost of this insurance will be a large % of my turnover this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

nilaw wrote: »
    Hi, I am just wondering do all BER assessors out there have professional indemnity insurance, I registered a few months ago and didn't really think about it until I read these threads. It is so difficult to get a decent amount of work that the cost of this insurance will be a large % of my turnover this year.

The cost of the insurance is nothing in comparison to what you could pay out if you ended up in court and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Johnny Lamp

You do need the cover, court action is probably unlikely and your T&Cs should limit your exposure to the cost of the BER.

As regards the BER market, basically it's totally oversupplied. At least taxi drivers have their fares regulated. What a mess, most assessors are part-timers who will probably do 1 or 2 a month (check SEI stats) for a hundred quid in their spare time and are not VAT registered. SEI deserve any criticism for poor standards.

Advertisement