Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jhonen Vasquez...

• 06-09-2008 4:41pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok ok ok. Time for him to get his own thread, he's been all over the noc forum in various different ways since day one.

This is a place for Johhny, Squee, Zim, filler bunny, devi, and all this Jhonenny.

It's actually mad I took this long to start this thread. My name's Doom, ffs!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,321 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm currently trying to have a root for my Johnny comics. One turned up on the floor recently and I haven't a clue how.

The price on the cover is in pounds :eek: Didn't realize I read that so long ago.

Hope it hasn't lost it's charm.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to have a root for my Johnny comics. One turned up on the floor recently and I haven't a clue how.

The price on the cover is in pounds :eek: Didn't realize I read that so long ago.

Hope it hasn't lost it's charm.

I'm going through a zim phase, that certainly hasn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

he's talkin bout invader zim.... he's probably my favourite creation by vasquez
    its brilliant and gir was so funny

orestes wrote: »
    Who?

Author of johnny the homicidal maniac, director of invader zim and all round not-a-goth. He's a bit of a ledgebag.

• Advertisement

actually I might as well rename this the star pants thread because when she sees this, the place is going to be plastered with Gir pictures. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I love all the comics i've seen by jv so far.Apparently a second series of jthm has been made but is being held back by distribution problems,anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I love all the comics i've seen by jv so far.Apparently a second series of jthm has been made but is being held back by distribution problems,anyone know if this is true?

I believe that is the case, or something similar. But also, Jhonen is pig deep in a movie project at the moment too, of which little is known.

Anyone remember his video for MSI's "shut me up" (he directed it)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Well - i had a whole thing typed out and the browser decided to run amok. ****!

JTHM was the first comic I ever bought and the first thing I ever bought with my credit card. Unfortunately it was not the last. And now the credit card has taken control and I have no willpower anymore.....

When Jhonen was (inadvertently) being discussed in the goth chick thread I was in the middle of an Invader Zim marathon.

It is without a doubt one of the funniest things I have ever seen. And I love the fact that I can spot all the JTHM references throughout the cartoon.

The first episode had me in absolute stitches and there are so many quotable pieces that you cannot keep up.

• Advertisement

z? = question sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I do not understand anything that has been written in this thread.

/backs away slowly

I believe that is the case, or something similar. But also, Jhonen is pig deep in a movie project at the moment too, of which little is known.

Anyone remember his video for MSI's "shut me up" (he directed it)?

thats strangely good.... thank you for enlightening me :D
    the video was also an animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

wooooooooooooooooooo Jhonen!! he RULES for many reasons one being this:
    gir_dock_icons_146156_img_128.png

other being jthm and filler-in bunny and such like, I've read a good few of them and that man just rocks.
    roll on the pics :D

(I've been watching a bunch of Zim over the w/e :D)

Filler_Bunny.png
    1042262514_Hsquee.jpg
    JHTM2.jpg
    to round off - I saw a squirrel!
    gir_squirrel.jpg
    he was doin like this...

star-pants wrote: »
    Filler_Bunny.png
    1042262514_Hsquee.jpg
    JHTM2.jpg
    to round off - I saw a squirrel!
    gir_squirrel.jpg
    he was doin like this...

gir is the best thing that has ever happened to me :)

jthm3.gif

pig_gir_1.jpg
    squee2.jpg

Is Zim set in the same world as JTHM?

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    Is Zim set in the same world as JTHM?

not the exact same no I don't think so.
    Squee & I feel sick came as spin offs from JTHM afaik

not the exact same no I don't think so.
    Squee & I feel sick came as spin offs from JTHM afaik

They're more or less follow ups to be honest.

The Tallest are in Squee though, so there's an argument to be made they are all set in the one universe.

hmmm quite true.. perhaps they are....
    *looks out window*
    perhaps they are....

hmmm quite true.. perhaps they are....
    *looks out window*
    perhaps they are....

Don't look out your window too long, you might see your neighbour killing people, and he might decide he likes you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Hang on, did this guy do a series of comics called I Luv Halloween by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm, I was a big fan of Jhonen Vasquez, had the JTHM and Squee books, as well as having watched every episode of Invader Zim repeatedly. Kinda lost interest after I Feel Sick though. Zim and Johnny are definitely his high points for me.

I hope he's got more up his sleeve, and that it's good.

Hmm, I was a big fan of Jhonen Vasquez, had the JTHM and Squee books, as well as having watched every episode of Invader Zim repeatedly. Kinda lost interest after I Feel Sick though. Zim and Johnny are definitely his high points for me.

AFAIK he doesn't like drawing, so he is trying to move into directing movies and has written a couple of comics illustrated by others.

Wiki knows all, will check later. :)

Im feelin the way karl does really :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

29 posts and NOBODY mentions happy noodle boy?!

shmoo.jpg

as i understand it, there was a girl in college with JV that was obsessed with him, read his stuff and pestered him constantly, so he told her he would write a comic just for her. the idea being he would write the most deranged ridiculousness he could in a bid to scare her off! enter happy noodle boy.

apparently it didn't work either :D

• Advertisement

Mirror wrote: »
    29 posts and NOBODY mentions happy noodle boy?!

shmoo.jpg

as i understand it, there was a girl in college with JV that was obsessed with him, read his stuff and pestered him constantly, so he told her he would write a comic just for her. the idea being he would write the most deranged ridiculousness he could in a bid to scare her off! enter happy noodle boy.

apparently it didn't work either :D

I wonder what it says about her that Johnny is supposed to have created Happy Noodle Boy? :)

i bet she was super hawt and he's just such a raging nerd he couldn't handle her :pac:

An ex of mine emailed him once, he wrote back, a big long personal email. Its great to see someone who is a "star" in their field behave like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

An ex of mine emailed him once, he wrote back, a big long personal email. Its great to see someone who is a "star" in their field behave like that.

A friend of mine bumped into him at some comic con and said hi in passing. Later on Jhonen remembered him when he was finishing up signing peoples crap and they ended up having a long winded conversation about life, the universe and such things. Funnily enough my mate isn't even that big a fan, but thought it was cool that the guy was willing to stand around chatting after his work was done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Jhonen was the first comic book author I developed a crush on. But not the last...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Janicus

I wonder what it says about her that Johnny is supposed to have created Happy Noodle Boy? :)

I love happy noodle boy one of my favorite Jhonen characters, I love that he stands on a soapbox and yells at people, the things he yells, so insightful, I think we need more like him, a legion if you will THE NOODLE HAPPY LEGION OF HAPPY NOODLE MEN, That is all we would need!!

• Advertisement

Janicus wrote: »
    I love happy noodle boy one of my favorite Jhonen characters, I love that he stands on a soapbox and yells at people, the things he yells, so insightful, I think we need more like him, a legion if you will THE NOODLE HAPPY LEGION OF HAPPY NOODLE MEN, That is all we would need!!
    i am interested in subscribing to your newsletter

Mirror wrote: »
    i am interested in subscribing to your newsletter

lol The Cronicles of happy noodle men :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Noodle Boy > GOD

I can think of nothing scarier than a happy noodle army... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

hnb1.jpg

↑ ↑
    If anybody saw the version of this on the wall of Whelan's pub don't blame me..... blame the Suddy & Lime.....

bloodbath.gif

Edit:

Fix links

• Advertisement

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    hnb1.jpg

↑ ↑
    If anybody saw the version of this on the wall of Whelan's pub don't blame me..... blame the Suddy & Lime.....

bloodbath.gif

Those images wont hot link dude :(

I can think of nothing scarier than a happy noodle army... :D

You can't sink my cheerio.

You can't sink my cheerio.

These elbows, I can't get them off my arms

These elbows, I can't get them off my arms

LMAO. Genius.

LMAO. Genius.

I read that line for the first time on a bus I think... laughed and laughed...

I love Jhonen I think he's a god!!!!:pac:

I love Jhonen I think he's a god!!!!:pac:

You mean he has head explodey?

Nicely put!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Remember when the Simpsons stole that gag? That was a damn shame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

<3 Mr. Vasquez.

Zim was mostly fantastic. Aside from Gir's "lol im so randome" stuff, there was plenty of other stuff to enjoy. The scary monkey show, the portrayal of the whole human race as mindless beasts who really did deserve to be destroyed, Spaaaace Meeeeaaaat, Pustulio... I could go on.

Although I wasn't able to read JTHM all in one go because I found myself agreeing with him too much. Noodle Boy was wonderful for the sheer effort he put in to making as little sense as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement