Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laws on modifications

Options
  • 06-09-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

I got this off another site as i thought it might be of use here also!:D

Laws on modifications.

1. Window tints.

There is NO law to state that tinting your windows is illegal. However it is illegal to have anything on your windows that abstructs your view of the road. Ie Limo tint on the two front windows. If you can see the road without winding down the window its not illegal full stop.

2. Exhausts.

It is not illegal to have a modified exhaust on your car. It can be as loud as you want. However it is illegal to remove the cat after 1993 and it is illegal to remove the silencer (which is usually a combination of centre box and backbox)

3. Neons, Lights etc.

All undercar neons are illegal on your car unless the colours are
    - White to the front
    - Amber to the sides
    - Red to the back
    All angel eyes, projector type lights are fully legal as long as they are "E" marked. When buying lights make sure you are buying right hand lights and not left hand lights as the beam is the opposite for left hand drivers.
    You may have no lights projecting from your vehicle that may be a distraction to other road users. This includes: strobe and flashing lights... (interior included)
    For the record all blue lights are illegal and are reserved for emergency services only.

4. Warning devices (horns etc.)

All vehicles must be fitted with a audible warning device capable of giving sufficient warning of the approach or position of the vechicle. The device shall not be a bell, a gong, siren or any other strident-toned device.
    No vechicle should have a loudspeaker attached expect where a special permit has been issued.

5. Flamer Kits.

Need I say more? These are illegal to operate in a public place

6. Equipment required by law to be in your car:

a wheel or rim fitted with a tyre and capable of being fitted to the vehicle for immediate use and suitable for such use
    - an apparatus capable of raising any wheel fitted to the vehicle to a reasonable height from the ground
    - a kit of tools, including such tools as are necessary for any repairs which might reasonably be expected to be carried out in the course of a journey

Taken from:
    S.I. No. 190/1963: ROAD TRAFFIC (CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT AND USE OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.
    Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963 ( S.I. No. 189 of 1963

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

good find. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Mods should Sticky this; save a lot of other people asking Q's or even integrate it to the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well done, nice find

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

All non 'E' marked accessories is, technically, illegal. Including exhausts, lights, rearview mirrors, alloys, you name it...

The 'E' means that product comply with European standards, so, for example exhaust can be as loud as you wish as long as it's 'E' marked, or in another words, for road use...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

a wheel or rim fitted with a tyre and capable of being fitted to the vehicle for immediate use and suitable for such use

Does this mean that manufacturers such as renault,VW etc who dont supply a spare with some of their cars are breaking the law?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Are ye actually sure about the neon lights and the exhaust??
    In what book is that law writen?

miss enzo wrote: »
    Taken from:
    S.I. No. 190/1963: ROAD TRAFFIC (CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT AND USE OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.
    Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963 ( S.I. No. 189 of 1963

^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Not correct on the exhaust. Its at the discretion of the Guard at the scene.

Plus the law is written in a way that is hard to defend yourself even if you turned up in court with an engineers report saying its 92db its still at the discretion of the Guard to say what's reasonable on that day.

No matter what you do your screwed unless the car has an OEM exhaust.

My brother is being brought up on this in a weeks time. I have a friend who received a 900 euro fine nearly two years ago.

Im not a lawyer make your own judgment and get a good solicitor

http://193.178.1.79/ZZSI190Y1963.html

1. These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963.
    29. (1)
    Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall, subject to the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, be fitted with an exhaust silencer or other device suitable and sufficient for reducing to a reasonable level the noise caused by the escape of exhaust gases from the engine.
    (2) Sub-article (1) of this article shall not apply to a vehicle taking part in a trial, competition or race carried out on a road closed under section 35 of the Local Government Act, 1955 (No. 9 of 1955), subject to any conditions the local authority concerned may impose in connection with such closing.
    34 (e)
    every silencer or similar contrivance which is required to be fitted under these Regulations shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not have been altered in such a way that the noise caused by the escape of the exhaust gases is made greater by the alteration

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

tossy wrote: »
    Does this mean that manufacturers such as renault,VW etc who dont supply a spare with some of their cars are breaking the law?

My car - A focus has no Spare or Jack or tools
    Must be breaking the law then...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mik_da_man wrote: »
    My car - A focus has no Spare or Jack or tools
    Must be breaking the law then...

Pity you if you get a flat tyre lol:P *touch wood*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mossy619

regarding the undercar neons.i have enquired about this before.and was told by my local guard it is not illegal to have under car neons just aslong as the actual bulbs cannot be seen by another car

mossy619 wrote: »
    regarding the undercar neons.i have enquired about this before.and was told by my local guard it is not illegal to have under car neons just aslong as the actual bulbs cannot be seen by another car

Just because its legal doesn't make it right or ok though and the term "garda magnet" comes to mind :D

Advertisement