Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More fun from FOX

Options
  • 06-09-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Fox reporter scolds US Weekly editor for his coverage of Sarah Palin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wJik26tDmE

Not as good as 'terrorist fist jab', but still good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

Fox News can't pwn anything. His arguments were legitimate and she was an emotional wreck raising her voice for no reason.

I hate Fox News.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Lol, she slams him for being biased and not telling both sides of the story - like LOL fox news does! LOL. Do the actors on fox news really believe that they are really fair and unbiased? Are they really as stupid as they sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

One day, a Fox News slot will feature a debate between the anchor and an articulate, well-informed and capable guest with a differing viewpoint. Tragically, both will then be killed by flying pigs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Actors on Fox News" is a fitting description of them axer, as opposed to broadcast journalists. They play to their biased audience on the conservative right, so "balanced" news is a spin word having no practical meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

One day, a Fox News slot will feature a debate between the anchor and an articulate, well-informed and capable guest with a differing viewpoint. Tragically, both will then be killed by flying pigs.

Richard Dawkins on The O'Reilly Factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Fox is a joke to be honest.
    The very fact that she got as agitated as she did just shows how one sided the network is. What a contradiction.

FFS, that is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The republican party were positive that Hillary had no chance of winning against McCain and she was just invited to move votes away from Obama.
    Barack Obama interviewed by Bill O'Reilly:

You are correct that RTE/BBC have bias. However Fox News is not a news station. For example reporters ask questions and report the answers. They don't give loaded questions, or give BS questions that are statements (like "Bill O'Reilly a douche?")

As for previous statements, O'Reilly is well known for cutting the mics off people who don't agree with his reality.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. Balanced news is news which tries as far as possible to present the news in an objective fashion. While it's obvious that no news can be completely without bias, the BBC and RTÉ are as balanced as news gets. Fox 'news', on the other hand, is merely a chain of opinion pieces by the right.

Obama seems to have done very well in that first part. Its not easy debate against an idiot like o'reilly - such childish behaviour and arguments at times especially when he is losing an argument. He always tries to get the last word in.

Like I said all media has bias, but Fox News isn't even in the ballpark of what I would consider a news station. If it wasn't the daily show they would be the number 1 comedy news station.

Oddly enough the only news report I can find on what you linked goes back to the Times online. I take it you actually read the unnamed report they quoted? If so hows about a link? The closest I could find was 4 years before that news story.

Have to laugh when that is compared with this:

John McCain interviewed by Bill O'Reilly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwmnlmj-R8

Thanks for the PDF. I had a read of it.
    Singled out is the coverage of Bob Geldof’s Live 8 concert and the Make Poverty History campaign. The report says there was no rounded debate of the issues.

Strange, because when I read the report the BBC actually went out of its way to not to break their guidelines. To the point that it actually got complaints they were not showing enough of Make Poverty history.
    The report also raises serious concerns about accompanying programmes, including a drama by the writer Richard Curtis and the finale of his Vicar of Dibley where Dawn French shows a minute-long clip of the Make Poverty History video.

I am not sure where the serious concerns part is. I read that as well. The BBC report said that the show was not impartial, however there had been no complaints on it before/after showing on TV.
    programmes being undermined by the liberal culture of its staff,

Actually there was absolutely no mention of that in the report. What I could find was Liberal Democrats actually voted highest in saying the BBC didn't reflect their viewpoints enough. Also that some felt the BBC was not liberal enough, while a number of reporters questioned if there was a liberal bias or not.
    It goes on to highlight a “Roneo mentality” where staff ape each other’s common liberal values.

It explains the term but does not say the BBC exhibited this.
    the report points out that it broadcast a related drama by Curtis called The Girl in the Cafe. It featured Bill Nighy as a shy civil servant who falls in love with an antipoverty campaigner and takes her to a summit in Iceland where she makes an impassioned plea to world leaders.

And if you read the report: "The first draft had featured explicit promotional material for Make Poverty History, which was almost entirely removed in the effort to abide by the letter of the Editorial Guidelines"
    includes details of a staff impartiality seminar at which senior figures criticised the corporation for being antiAmerican and pandering to Islam.

The report cites only one such person mentioning it and the comments are: Justin Webb, the BBC’s Washington correspondent, said the BBC and other broadcasters failed to ask serious questions about why the USA is ‘as successful as it is, why the system it invented works. And, in the tone of what we say about America, we have a tendency to scorn and deride. We don’t give America any kind of moral weight in our broadcasts.’ When Webb was asked about ‘a casual anti-Americanism’, he said he consciously tried to redress it."
    Executives admitting they would broadcast images of a Bible being thrown away – but not the Koran for fear of offending Muslims.

That reference is to Ali G appearing on Room 101. No mention of the Koran, nor anyone complaining of Ali Gs comment that he personally would throw away the bible.
    The BBC deliberately championing multiculturalism and ethnic minorities, while betraying an anticountryside bias.

:rolleyes: You really need to read the report before quoting this stuff.
    1. The daily mail editor claimed the BBC was anti-countryside.
    2. The only evidence of such reported by the BBC was in the weather graphics.

Mary Fitzpatrick,...

There is no such mention of necklace in the report nor anything mentioned in that paragraph. There is a mention of one of the BBC reporters refusing to speak to muslim women on his show with the veil on, but nothing else.

Also mentions that the BBC showed the danish cartoons.
    It singled out an interview with Bill Gates on the 10 O’Clock News as “sycophantic”.

There is no mention at all of Bill Gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

During the 1998 Kosovo war, the BBC's coverage was mainly reported by what initially appeared to be a rookie journalist.

Later it was discovered he had always worked for NATO's PR department.

Sorry i can't cite sources, but i'm 100% positive if you researched it, you'd see its very true.

Its quite normal for TV stations to take a biased view on events, especially in times of "war" or elections.

Martyr wrote: »
    Its quite normal for TV stations to take a biased view on events, especially in times of "war" or elections.

True, however unlike the USA and Fox News the UK and Ireland have watchdog bodies both internal to the media companies and externally.

Even a 1/4 of the stuff Fox News does would of had it pulled from UK airwaves.

Couldn't find what you mentioned but did find a report that UK government were complaining that reporters were basically taking the NATO press brief and reporting verbatim (not just BBC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Martyr wrote: »
    During the 1998 Kosovo war, the BBC's coverage was mainly reported by what initially appeared to be a rookie journalist.

Later it was discovered he had always worked for NATO's PR department.

Sorry i can't cite sources, but i'm 100% positive if you researched it, you'd see its very true.

i looked the guy up, his name is Mary Laity
    And i was wrong to say he "worked for NATO's PR department"..but he did report from NATO headquarters during the Kosovo bombing campaign and later became their official spokesman or spin-doctor..but you could say he was spokesman long before he left BBC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I love watching Fox News and if they changed the name to FoxE (for entertainment) I don't think anyone would have a problem with them. It's a 24-hour talk show. Bill O Reilly doesn't report any news, he talks about what he thinks of the news and argues his personal opinion with guests... don't get me wrong, it's greatly entertaining but it's not news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I love watching Fox News and if they changed the name to FoxE (for entertainment) I don't think anyone would have a problem with them. It's a 24-hour talk show. Bill O Reilly doesn't report any news, he talks about what he thinks of the news and argues his personal opinion with guests... don't get me wrong, it's greatly entertaining but it's not news.

all very well but it greatly influences a large number of uninformed citizens of the most powerfull naiton on earth , theese same uninformed people have a very powerfull weapon at there disposal , a vote

Yes, but as long as they're telling Americans that they're 'fair and balanced', everything will seem liberal and left-leaning by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

Donegalfella,

I find it ironic, but hardy surprising, that you have concluded from two blatantly biased and disingenuous right-wing articles that there is a left-wing bias in the BBC.

Both the Telegraph and Times articles misrepresent what the BBC internal review was about. To read them, you would almost think that it was an investigation into breaches of guidelines at the BBC with punishment for transgressors as the consequence. It was nothing of the kind.

Hobbes has already done a good job deconstructing many of the false allegations contained in these perfunctory articles. So I won't go into them in detail here.

Suffice it to say, there are few lies more easily nailed than that persistent whinge from right wingers that there is a "bias" in the broadcast media against their views. What they are really saying is: "There are people who disagree with me!! How dare they???!"

Suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stretchtex

irish_bob wrote: »
    all very well but it greatly influences a large number of uninformed citizens of the most powerfull naiton on earth , theese same uninformed people have a very powerfull weapon at there disposal , a vote

I love this statement, implying that American are blind sheep, and if we don't vote for Obama, we are uniformed and not as enlightened as the Irish.

I would certainly put more stock in BBC news over Fox News any day. So your agreeing that Fox News is not a news station?

Intresting examples. I have one for you. Two fox news reporters uncover a serious issue with growth hormones in US Milk. Monsanto spoke to Fox News who then told the reporters to either lie or bury the story. Even bribing them. They wouldn't so they were fired, and a false report was aired.

They were brought to court where it was determined that Fox were guilty of all charges.

This is the same BBC whose reporter Barbara Plett

The same reporter who was later found to have “breached the requirements of due impartiality” and the BBC apologised?
    And the former Controller of Editorial Policy admits that the BBC is "monochrome in its thinking."

:pac:

You didn't even read the full quote did you? You do know his quote is referring to that the BBC is not liberal enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

stretchtex wrote: »
    I love this statement, implying that American are blind sheep, and if we don't vote for Obama, we are uniformed and not as enlightened as the Irish.

not americans , just the majority of fox news viewers in the usa , studys have in fact shown that the average fox viewer is much more likely to believe for example that sadamm husein had something to do with 9-11

not sure how you tied my post about fox news to a love of obama , personally i like john mc cain , that doesnt mean i have to like a propoganda machine who in reality represent no one but a billionaire media tycoon and his interests , its important to realise that murdoch would support a political party led by satanists if they were willing to lower taxes for billionaires like him enough

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Aside from the other issues dealt with by Hobbes, it's worth noting that 'Make Poverty History' was a campaign publically supported by Labour, the Conservatives, and the Lib-Dems. I'm not sure where the 'liberal bias' of the BBC plays into that reality. Sounds like it was reflecting an across-the-board political consensus in the UK.

• Advertisement

Advertisement