Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting

Options
  • 06-09-2008 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I am stuck between double entry bookeeping and Just simple transactions for cash.

I am john and I give mary 100.

How do I know if I credit mary because I am the giver or debit her because she is the receiver.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Right, let's just say your account is your Bank A/C and Mary's account is called the Mary A/C

Bank A/C you debit Mary, because Mary has recieved the sum. Mary A/C you credit Bank, because Bank has given Mary the sum. Remember each transaction appears twice in the books. One debit, one credit.

I'm pretty sure that's right, Double Entry Book-keeping was never my strong point although I'm getting it a bit more now. Open to correction of course

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

You would put the figure in John's a/c on the credit side as his account is paying/decreasing. The figure in Mary's a/c will go on the debit side as she is receiving the money. For every credit there must be a debit.

Here is a little rule I learned which helped a lot for accounting.

You always debit the following: Asset increasing, liability decreasing and income.

You always credit the following: Asset decreasing, liability increasing and expenses.

I think thats right anyways. lol!!! I only did the leaving in June and already forgotten. :pac::pac:

Advertisement