Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom and smart telecom

Options
  • 06-09-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

hey guys.

Have a question for ye all. I'm going to get Smart Telecom in a few weeks and I move into my new apartment. Ive decided on Smart because I've heard good things about them and I'm sick of having wireless bb throughout my life.

Now the main question is has anyone ever had trouble transferring their line from eircom to smart and if you have please tell me what happened. How long did it take and so. Or does this happen in a matter of minutes? How long does it take usually for smart until I have broadband? Im cork based aswell so anyone from cork who could reply aswell would be appreciated.

cheers,
    tom

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There was a time indeed when getting connected to Smart was known to age people considerably. However you appear to be in a good position as you do not appear to be an existing Eircom customer for bb and there will be no bb on your line in a new apartment (or is there something you are not telling us?)

Have you confirmed that Smart are available in your local exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

No I'm not hiding anything :) All that has to be done is to change the account name from the last person to myself. I'm in the exchange alright because I found the number for McDonald's which is straight across the road and used it with the Line Checker on Smart's website so that's all good.

So could anyone see any reason why I couldn't get smart's broadband. Changing from eircom to smart, does it take a flick of a switch or it there a long boring process involved. When that is done roughly how long does it take to get setup, 1-2weeks or maybe longer?

Just another quick question, re-activation of the eircom line. Is it around 124euro or has it dropped because thats what I paid about 2 years ago to re-activate a line in a different house. Just thought I heard something different that it had dropped price. Would appreciate it if someone could tell me

cheers,
    tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's not a flick of a switch, someone has to physically go in and patch your line over to the Smart Telecom exchange which is co-located in the eircom exchange building.

It's a lot quicker than it used to be, but you would still expect to wait around 10 days. Even hooking up to eircom broadband will often take quite a few days, so if you want the speed of smart, i'd say order and be patient.

If your eircom line's still active, it's €25 to reactivate.

Basically, plug a phone into the line and do the following:

First dial 199000 and write down the phone number that the local exchange reads out to you. This is your telephone number.

Check that number passes on smart's website to be 100% sure.

Then, on your phoneline dial 1901 and it will put you straight through to eircom sales, just give them your details and they'll activate the line usually within a few minutes, but it can take up to 24 hours.

Don't call from your mobile / another phone if your eircom line has a dial tone. When you call them from it it seems to speed you through to a sales agent and also they have your details on the computer when you ring through and can process the order instantly.

If you plug in a phone and there's no dial tone, you may have to pay more as the line may not be connected to the exchange at all, so engineering work's required to hook you up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also if you post in the Smart forums http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 people there may be able to tell you how long the process actually took for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hi tom_ass19, It can take up to 21 days to get you over from the €ircon network, which exchange are you on? The smart checker will tell you. We were lucky as the pole for our house had to be replaced and when they did it they broke the line so eircom came up and went back to the exchange and fixed it in less then 3 hours from calling to report it to fixing it (See my post about this), in the process I think the engineer who called to us completed the changeover and we had Smart in less than 10 days.

If you have had BB on the line before then you will need the UAN and give that to Smart and they should do the rest.

MC

• Advertisement
Advertisement