Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite musical?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

LOVE "Liza One Note"!

"My mother was Judy Garland,did you know that?" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ickymax

hahaha. It is one of the funniest thigs ever. Perfect impersonation aswell, which is nice. They keep going after carol channing aswell which is always comedicly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

poor Carol,she's so addled

another fav I forgot to mention is "The Sound of Music".corny I know,but to this day when I'm carrying bags I still swing around for a quick burst of "Confidence in me"

Sesudra wrote: »

another fav I forgot to mention is "The Sound of Music".corny I know,but to this day when I'm carrying bags I still swing around for a quick burst of "Confidence in me"

There is nothing wrong with loving The Sound of Music, I myself have tendancies ,when with certain friends, to burst into random bouts of "Doh,Mi,Mi . . Mi,Soh,Soh . . Reh,Fah,Fah . . Lah, Ti,Ti" It's wonderful. We add in the melody line aswell of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Question actually! What did you guys think of the film version of Phantom of the Opera?
    hated it, felt they didnt put any creativity into the film. Same problem as The Producers, both films had directors who thought they were still directing for stage.
    The film of Phantom was a bit strange. They got some things right and others so so wrong. Like they build it up so much and then the Phantom finally takes off his mask. All I could think was "Eh its not that bad." Wheras in the stage show its much worse. Plus I think Gerard Butler didnt have the voice for the part. The cast Raoul perfectly though in my opinion.

The Producers went horribly wrong. They took a hilarious stage show and basically filmed it. They should have gone with a director that had more film experience. I still liked the film as I think the source material is strong and they had a fantastic cast. But it could have been so much better. Look for instance at what Tim Burton did with Sweeney Todd. I know a lot of people dislike what he did with it but I thought it suited the material perfectly. And once you get over the fact that Depp and Bonham-Carter are not going to be as vocally good as their Broadway counterparts then its a terrific film.

My favourite shows include Les Mis, In The Heights, Spring Awakening (I don't know why but I feel a little guilty admitting that), Wicked, Parade, Martin Guerre, Assassins, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods. I'll stop there but I know I'm forgetting some.

My actual favourite would have to be Ragtime. A huge story with a vast number of characters and some of the best music I've heard in years. I don't think it lasted all that long on Broadway. The sheer size and scope of the thing cost a fortune to run. But I'd urge anyone to check out the soundtrack. Simply amazing. If it was revived then I would book my ticket regardless of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Hrududu wrote: »
    Look for instance at what Tim Burton did with Sweeney Todd. I know a lot of people dislike what he did with it but I thought it suited the material perfectly. And once you get over the fact that Depp and Bonham-Carter are not going to be as vocally good as their Broadway counterparts then its a terrific film.

I think Sweeney Todd was a grand movie in it's own right but I wish they'd not sacrificed the vocals in favour of Tim Burton's regular cast. I saw the production in The Gate last year and it was just fantastic, I have never seen anything like it, it was just amazing. I can't even describe how fantastic it was! It was just wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Yeah I saw it in the Gate too and it blew me away. I knew the vocals wouldnt be as good in the film so I approached it with that attitude and enjoyed it for what it was. I knew once Burton was attached that Depp and Bonham-Carter would be in it regardless. Great material though, such a fantastic show. And it was nice to finally see an age appropriate Anthony, Joanna and Toby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

Les Mis & Sweeney Todd FTW :D

I think that Les Mis is just one of those musicals that nobody can dislike. I mean everybody knows and loves at least one song from it. It's truly amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

ickymax wrote: »
    I think that Les Mis is just one of those musicals that nobody can dislike. I mean everybody knows and loves at least one song from it. It's truly amazing.

I used to be a big Les Mis fan, but not so much anymore. However, I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone who isn't familiar with it sit through 3 hours of possibly the most depressing musical ever made just to hear one song!

• Advertisement

Hahaha!! yeah, well thats quite true. It is quite depressing.
    This is a funny little anesdote from Patti LuPone about her Les Mis experience.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwum9bPIwA

ickymax wrote: »

+1

Who Am I? is my current fave, but it changes on a regular basis! :D

Is this whole Musical Forum new? I'm sure I'd have posted in it before if I'd seen it! I know that, if you're a guy, it's somehow not considered acceptable to like musicals, but I just love 'em! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

+1

Who Am I? is my current fave, but it changes on a regular basis! :D

Is this whole Musical Forum new? I'm sure I'd have posted in it before if I'd seen it! I know that, if you're a guy, it's somehow not considered acceptable to like musicals, but I just love 'em! :D

Yep we're only here a week! Pfft, utter tosh, musicals are win regardless of gender! And feck anyone who says otherwise! :D

Oh, I agree! :D

But still, there are those out there who just don't seem to 'get it'. I remember when I went to see the Sweeney Todd movie, the one at the ticket desk actually felt the need to warn me - not that there's lots of blood, not that Helena Bonham Carter's cleavage may prove distracting :D, but that it was a musical, in case I didn't know and would later demand a refund :rolleyes:

Well, I guess now I can look forward to sharing my enthusiasm with like-minded people! :)

Got my hands on the live DVD of Les Miserables featuring Colm Wilkinson whom it turns out is releated to my Dad's best friend. Really loking forward to watching it and hopefully some day my dream of seeing a production of it featuring Neil Patrick Harris will come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SomeonesStar

+1

I know that, if you're a guy, it's somehow not considered acceptable to like musicals, but I just love 'em! :D

Pshaw! If men didn't like musicals, we'd be sunk - they get the best songs!!

Anyway, let this be your excuse - http://www.cracked.com/article_15165_8-manliest-musicals.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Wicked.

I love love love it!!

For film musical it's Beauty and the Beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 me!

I actually have no idea!!!! Probably Phantom or Les Mis or Wicked or The Sound of Music or Greese or My Fair Lady or Hairspray. okay that really doesn't help, and that's just the beginning of the list!! Oh wait, Mamma Mia!! Anybody else from the iyc?? Best cinema experience ever!!!!!!! I suppose what I;m trying to say in short is, I LOVE MUSICALS!!!!!!!!!!!:):):)

Got my hands on the live DVD of Les Miserables featuring Colm Wilkinson whom it turns out is releated to my Dad's best friend. Really loking forward to watching it and hopefully some day my dream of seeing a production of it featuring Neil Patrick Harris will come true.

That's the 10th Anniversary Concert. Let me know what you think of it - I vascillate between liking it and loathing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

I got that DVD and was severly disappointed! its not the actual show, there is no set or acting or costumes or direction...its just the actors coming on and singing the songs into a microphone,while the rest of the cast sit in the background! I was so disapointed cus i wanted to see the actual show...be careful when buying stage shows on DVD, As I think a lot of the shows are staged like this, and are't performed as they would be if you saw them live!

• Advertisement

lilmizzme wrote: »
    I got that DVD and was severly disappointed! its not the actual show, there is no set or acting or costumes or direction...its just the actors coming on and singing the songs into a microphone,while the rest of the cast sit in the background! I was so disapointed cus i wanted to see the actual show...be careful when buying stage shows on DVD, As I think a lot of the shows are staged like this, and are't performed as they would be if you saw them live!

They are in costume, albeit just the one costume throughout.

I always think it must have been really boring for the cast to have to sit through the ENTIRE show onstage and not be able to fart around backstage when they're not needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Apparently thats how they perform the show in the case of a stage malfunction, they'll just all stand there and sing their way through it :p. Personally I'd be a bit pissed off it I'd paid top price for that.

But to keep on topic my favourite would have to be Les Mis or Billy Elliot - I fluctuate between the two quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If that live DVD is what I think it is, it was probably the 10th Anniversary concert. There were some highlights in that; Lea Salonga did Eponine's role and she blew my mind in the Miss Saigon original cast recording. Les Miserables is a music which shouldn't work really, on paper, but it did. There's something very special about it. Mind you it has a happier ending than Pirates of the Carribean because at least two of them managed happy ever after which you can't say for Pirates.

As for me, I don't know. One under-rated musical in my view is Notre Dame de Paris which is one of the French ones that got translated and transferred to the West End. I saw it before it closed and it was fantastic. I've also seen Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, Chess (twice) and I think Mamma Mia as well. Also saw Time about 20 years ago and it was revolutionary for its time, and something else, what was it? It'll come to me in a moment.

I'm not sure which would be my favourite. The music for Notre Dame is fantastic:

There is an English cast recording floating around; couldn't find any on Youtube but Tina Arena did the original recording and it was excellent, can't remember who else was involved with that.

but when I was 14 years old, this blew my mind:

And I saw him do it in London and until I saw Jean Michel Jarre 2 years later, it was the biggest night of my life. He also did Jean Valjean in the Swedish production of Les Miserables and features (for a couple of lines) on the 10th anniv concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Mine is The Man of La Mancha. The music is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Ooooooooooooooklahoma where the wind comes sweepin down the plain...
    eh?
    ...really, I'd say Guys and Dolls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Oooohh!! A Musicals forum!! My favourite musicals change every month but right now it's (they're) A Chorus Line, Les Mis, Miss Saigon and Blood Brothers.

Rebecca Storm singing Easy Terms is chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

High Society would be one of my favourites, Calamity Jane, Seven Brides anything with Howard Keel or Frank Sinatra, On the town, Robin and the 7 hoods (absolutely brilliant!) but it wasn't a big hit. Hans Christian Anderson, Tom Thumb plus all the usual, Dirty Dancing, Grease and I am loving Dream Girls at the mo.
    Glad the forum is up because everyone thinks I am mental because I love these films. My dad is the only one who shares my love for them.

Anyone ever see the musical film version of Scrooge with Albert Finney?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ooh I love Calamity Jane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 G-izzles

Blood Brothers anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've never seen Blood Brothers but its one I keep hearing about. Really must try for that next time I'm in London.

Advertisement