Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite musical?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 G-izzles

wrote:

Well worth it. Went to see it in the West End somewhere, not to sure on the place name but sure, not exactly gonna give them free advertising either! As Willy Russell described it himself, it's like a play with music as opposed to a musica. The music isn't (always) as corny or sappy as some musicals can be and the narator's song is as only can be described as 'kick-ass'

All in all, it's a fun, though-provoking turned tear-jerker!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yeah I've heard good things about Blood Brothers too. There are so many musicals that I have yet to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

G-izzles wrote: »
    Blood Brothers anyone?
    Meh.

I've seen it a few of times, like everybody I suppose. How many times has it been here anyway? Must have been here 4 or 5 times at this stage. I've seen it twice in the Gaiety and I know I missed it at least once. It's good and all that but there's a lot better out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

Westside Story-I want to be a Jet ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sligo 2008

The Lion King

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Christopher cap

My favourite is Beauty the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

In order of preference - Les Mis, Les Mis and Les Mis. I fulfilled one of my "things to do before you die" by seeing Colm Wilkinson in it in Dublin, what 10 years ago (at the age of about 23)? Don't even know which is my favourite song - could be one of many. Stars could be one.

Love the Billy Elliot film, would love to see the musical. Saw Carrick-on-Suir MS doing Chess many (14 or 15) years ago and the music was stunning - all the simultaneous parts being sung were fabulous. Would love to see Wicked too.

PS Cool to find a Musicals forum. Love 'em, would love to have had the talent and the guts to get into one but didn't. 3 different musicals coming up in New Ross over next couple of months though which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Tommy. Last summer (2007) I watched it at least twice a day for about three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

No one has mentioned HAIR! Love that....and Fiddler on the Roof is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭innocenteyesuk

Oh very hard it would have to be between RENT, Wicked and Legally Blonde.

I'd have to say RENT. It is just amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

I would love to see Legally blonde, seeing as its my favourite movie!
    Any talks on it coming to London?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Currently mine is Jekyll and Hyde... Brilliant musical arrangements and still a little unknown as a musical...Brilliant !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Went to London for my birthday in June. Went to see Wicked. I have never been so blown away in my entire life! I've been listening to and going to musicals for over 10 years now (I'm only 23) and that is the most impressed I've ever been. I deliberately didn't listen to the majority of the soundtrack so that I could get the full effect. I've heard a lot of people saying "Well, the cast just can't match the Original West End one" as if the new cast are a crowd of howling cats!

The girl playing Elphaba is amazing - great power behind such a small frame. And Glinda was great. Very funny, good comic timing, and well able to sing when it came to it.

So that's gone straight in at the top of the charts as one of my favourites.

I've seen Blood Brothers four or five times and it's never failed to impress me. Great story, great fun, great emotion and some decent songs. Jesus Christ Superstar is the musical that made me, as a 13 year old, accept that musicals could be cool. Even though the live version I saw wasn't the greatest, the cast recording with Steve Balsamo is one of my favourites to listen to. Little Shop of Horrors is my favourite musical that I've performed in.

I can honestly say I've never been truly disappointed with a musical (even when not expecting to enjoy Chicago, Beauty and the Beast amongst others) until June this year when I went to see Joseph in the West End.
    I basically felt like I was at a panto. Screaming children and just what I thought was a very unprofessional production. All because of that BBC show.

nkay1985 wrote: »

I can honestly say I've never been truly disappointed with a musical (even when not expecting to enjoy Chicago, Beauty and the Beast amongst others) until June this year when I went to see Joseph in the West End.
    I basically felt like I was at a panto. Screaming children and just what I thought was a very unprofessional production. All because of that BBC show.

That bad?? I hate it when kids do that... Teenagers are the worst ever. So many of them have no respect for the people on stage and will just natter their way through the entire performance.

I'd be interested to see Joseph really, just to see how it all panned out in the end. I've heard pretty mixed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Got my hands on the live DVD of Les Miserables featuring Colm Wilkinson whom it turns out is releated to my Dad's best friend. Really loking forward to watching it and hopefully some day my dream of seeing a production of it featuring Neil Patrick Harris will come true.

My aunt used to go out with Colm Wilkinson :D

Ok that's my claim to fame over! :P

My favourites:
    - Calamity Jane
    - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    - Singin' In The Rain
    - Chicago
    - On The Town
    - Hairspray
    - Muppet Christmas Carol!! :pac:
    - Moulin Rouge (I can't help that I loved it)
    - My Fair Lady
    - The Sound Of Music
    - Mary Poppins (love "Let's Go Fly A Kite" :) always cheers me up)

I'm sure there's loads more....

Can't believe I missed this forum :(

Me too Ali! I was surprised you weren't in here earlier!

Welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

fonpokno wrote: »
    Me too Ali! I was surprised you weren't in here earlier!

Welcome! :)

I didn't realise it had got going! :( I knew you were trying to get but no one told me it was up and running :( Until nkay told me about half an hour ago!

I likes it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

My fav musical has to West Side Story, I know a real boys show, but I played Bernardo five years ago with Ballinasloe Musical Society and met my partner, house bought and two babies later, who played Anita. Just a fantastic show and it'll always hold a special place in my heart. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

My favourite is definitely Jesus Christ superstar. Then I am biast because I played Judas before.

I also love the film version of the phantom of the opera and of course le Mis.

Cant stand Joseph and his stupid coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

fonpokno wrote: »
    That bad?? I hate it when kids do that... Teenagers are the worst ever. So many of them have no respect for the people on stage and will just natter their way through the entire performance.

I'd be interested to see Joseph really, just to see how it all panned out in the end. I've heard pretty mixed reviews.

Yeah it was really really awful. The narrator was an awful over-actor and not a great singer. The King wasn't good. He went too far with the Elvis impression. And for some reason they decided it'd be a good idea to do the following: When "Pharoh's dream" was finished, Joseph says "I'm sorry, I didn't quite get all of that, could you say it again?" :mad: So they go and do it AGAIN! It's terrible.

That Lee Mears fella was actually about the best part of it, which is saying a lot. He did the Ronan Keating thing a bit too much but aside from that sang quite well. And, of course, all the dancing was brilliant but that goes without saying at a West End show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 graciegrace

Has to be sound of music,
    all together now -
    High on a hill was a lonely goatherd
    Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
    Loud was the voice of the lonely goatherd
    Lay ee odl lay ee odl-oo

:)O ho lay dee odl lee o, o ho lay dee odl ay
    O ho lay dee odl lee o, lay dee odl lee o lay

or something like that - these are a few of my favourite things.

loved it all loved the von trapp family and Maria, the mother abbess,

High on a hill was a lonely goatherd
    Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
    Loud was the voice of the lonely goatherd
    Lay ee odl lay ee odl-oo

:)O ho lay dee odl lee o, o ho lay dee odl ay
    O ho lay dee odl lee o, lay dee odl lee o lay

Kudos to you for typing that out! That would've taken me about a week!

If your a fan of Sweeny Todd they have it playing in Draioct in Blanchardstown next month. Not sure of the dates though.

Ooh yes I read about that a while ago. So going to that. I love Sweeney Todd. No idea where Draíocht is though.

Hi. Theyre in the Blanchardstown Centre opposite the entrance to the centre that has eddie rockets outside and opposite the bus stops that take you into town. Their box office is in the phone book the coolmine musical society is staging it so it should be good. Sweenys the best. Mrs Lovits my favorite character. 01 8852622 is the box number 10-15 nov. Im so going to it toooooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The bus stops are no longer at the side of the shopping centre. It's on the same side of the road as Leisureplex. Beside the Library.

Back on topic, Blood Brothers is my favorite musical of all time.

thanks for that, its ages since ive been to blanc must go soon, saw blood brothers recently at the olympia was great night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

favourite musical: Phantom of the Opera. I know it's probably the usual answer but I could just sit through it time and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Haven't seen that many musicals but I saw Avenue Q in London a few weeks ago, and it is hillarious.
    I was singing "Everyone's a little bit Racist" for weeks afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Les Misérables is my favourite of all that I have seen live. Used to watch it regularly on vt and still listen to the soundtrack, can't wait to see it again! Blood Brothers would come a close second.

Advertisement