Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite musical?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I've not seen many musicals myself. Joined a musical society last year and partook in Oliver and a panto, amazing fun! [EDIT:I was plugging but there is a thread for that.

Anyways, aside from the plugging - I loved:

Blood brothers (Rebecca Storm is amazing),
    Sweeney todd,
    Avenue Q (Only the soundtrack, yet to see it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Excellent taste Slaanesh! Avenue Q is just amazing live. I've been listening to the soundtrack for years and only got to see it about 3 weeks ago in New York. Amazing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I have whet my appetite for musicals, I'm going to endeavor to see a lot more. My friend is doing Michael Collins in the Cork Opera House, he's playing Michael Collins, I was tempted to fly down this weekend but Cork is just sooo far away!

Check out my plug *cough* for Jane Eyre in the pimp my musical thread ;)
    fonpokno wrote: »
    Excellent taste Slaanesh! Avenue Q is just amazing live. I've been listening to the soundtrack for years and only got to see it about 3 weeks ago in New York. Amazing.

Ha yes I've seen your pimping! I'd be curious about that too! Who wrote the music for Jane Eyre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss_lady

Fave on stage musical is Wicked (British version - Kerry Ellis IS Elphaba!) and fave movie musical is Phantom of the Opera (have yet to see it on stage :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 TheKat

When I was little I loved West Side Story, though I saw it again recently and the story just seemed so funny - I think I'm too much of a cynic now to believe in true love!
    Right now I love Avenue Q, I could watch it again and again! It's just so funny. Joseph will prob always be a favourite too :)
    As far as favourite that I've taken part in, The Hot Mikado was a lot of fun!

Repo the genetic Opera has quickly became my favourite musical of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I saw Disney's Beauty and the Beast in the Olympia last year and it was just FAB.
    The singing, the acting, everything was so awesome I saw it twice. I'm sad it's not back this year, but if you do ever get a chance to see it, go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

I adore Westside story and of course Blood Brothers

They are 2 fantastic shows.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Anyone like to producers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Billy Elliott is the best musical I have seen on stage (saw it in London a couple of months ago ). Phantom of the Opera is the worst film -musical or otherwise -I have ever seen , lovely photography ,awful awful acting , . Cabaret is the best musical on film I have ever seen . Could look at it over and over and never get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I've only seen a handful of professional productions thus far. I have to say though, I've enjoyed the amateur productions I've seen and have been involved with more than professional shows. There's jst something more special about people doing what they love for no fee than doing it as a job.

Anyway, favourites include:

Chess
    Les Mis
    The Scarlet Pimpernel
    Clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eimear87

its a toss up between wicked and rent at the minute. probably would end up being wicked. but i am heading over to london for a few days to see a good few musicals so that could all change soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cathead

As the title says!

What are your favourite musicals? Are you a classics fan, or more on the edge!
    here are some of my favourites:

Little Shop of Horrors
    Hairspray
    Grease
    Cabaret
    Les Mis
    Rocky Horror
    Spamalot
    Tommy
    Moulin Rouge
    and since seeing it's production in Navan, Jane Eyre is quickly becoming a firm favourite!!

Merged with the other thread.

Welcome to the forum btw. :)

Also I've never heard of Tommy, what's that?

Also I've never heard of Tommy, what's that?

For shame, Tommy is the superb musical from The Who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cathead

Repo the genetic Opera has quickly became my favourite musical of all time.

Wow. Wow! I love the sound of this! Is this the one with Sarah Brightman?

And yes, Tommy is amazing! A classic! :D

cathead wrote: »
    Wow. Wow! I love the sound of this! Is this the one with Sarah Brightman?

And yes, Tommy is amazing! A classic! :D

That is the one, an absolutly fantastic film. I've watched my Blu Ray at least two dozen times at this stage and never grow tired of it.

ZOMG, Darko I watched Repo the other night with Futurecrook!

I had no idea it was from the makers of Saw, god I've had it sitting on my computer for months, so glad I didn't watch it alone. :P

The more I think about it the better I like it. It was really just awesome. And Paris Hilton was surprisingly not annoying in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 puddlestarter

Wicked is my fave musical of all time! Will it ever come to Ireland do you think?

• Advertisement

I'd say it'll be a long time before it comes to Ireland... It's a fantastic show. I'd love go to London at some point and see the show there to see the differences between there and broadway.

ZOMG, Darko I watched Repo the other night with Futurecrook!

I had no idea it was from the makers of Saw, god I've had it sitting on my computer for months, so glad I didn't watch it alone. :P

The more I think about it the better I like it. It was really just awesome. And Paris Hilton was surprisingly not annoying in it!

It is a fantastic film though I should have warne dyou about the violence. I watched it twice on Saturday while tidying my room and spent more time actually sitting in my chair thatn tidying. :D

Hilton is excellent in it and shows that not only can she sing but that she can act. Perhaps over time, she will mature into the talent she believes that she is.

For me Bill Moseley was the high point, it was nice to see him strecth himself and hopefully Hollywood will recognise his talents. Did you know that the guy who played the Graverobber, Terrance Zdunich wrote the original musical.
    Wicked is my fave musical of all time! Will it ever come to Ireland do you think?

I don't see Wicked ever coming over here tbh. While it's a fantastic piece of work I would imagine that it's appeal would be lost on a lot of traditional musical goers. I'm hoping to see it in London next month if it's still on, heading over for a games conference and decided to make a holiday of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

^ oh you should. it's absolutely fantastic. I have seen both the broadway and west end production and i have to say, i preferred the west end production. You'll have missed kerry ellis who was absolutely fantastic but her replacement Alexia Khadime is brilliant. You won't be disappointed :)

I watched it twice on Saturday while tidying my room and spent more time actually sitting in my chair thatn tidying. :D
    Story of my life! :p
    Hilton is excellent in it and shows that not only can she sing but that she can act. Perhaps over time, she will mature into the talent she believes that she is.
    Yeah I was very pleasantly shocked by her.
    For me Bill Moseley was the high point, it was nice to see him strecth himself and hopefully Hollywood will recognise his talents.
    I haven't come across him before but from IMDB all his stuff looks very scary and tha twould explain why I haven't come across him...
    Did you know that the guy who played the Graverobber, Terrance Zdunich wrote the original musical.

Yes! I saw that! He was totally awesome. He looks like an elf...
    I don't see Wicked ever coming over here tbh. While it's a fantastic piece of work I would imagine that it's appeal would be lost on a lot of traditional musical goers. I'm hoping to see it in London next month if it's still on, heading over for a games conference and decided to make a holiday of it.

You totally should. It's definitely worth it.

wez99950 wrote: »
    ^ oh you should. it's absolutely fantastic. I have seen both the broadway and west end production and i have to say, i preferred the west end production. You'll have missed kerry ellis who was absolutely fantastic but her replacement Alexia Khadime is brilliant. You won't be disappointed :)

Fingers crossed I get a chance to see it. I have some stuff to redo for college and that's changed my plans slightly.
    Story of my life! :p
    Yeah I was very pleasantly shocked by her.

Shame then that here album was so dreadful, I remember having to review and nearly crying as I listened to it.
    I haven't come across him before but from IMDB all his stuff looks very scary and tha twould explain why I haven't come across him...

He's a icon of horror cinema. Check out the Devil's Reject to see him at his best.

Yes! I saw that! He was totally awesome. He looks like an elf...

True that, a very scary elf though. I have an album of his stuff at home.
    You totally should. It's definitely worth it.

As I said above fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ElieJAMES

I love Micheal Jackson music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 crazzycat

I adore Coldplay and Muse:o

ElieJAMES wrote: »
    I love Micheal Jackson music
    crazzycat wrote: »
    I adore Coldplay and Muse:o

That's lovely, they're great bands.

What are your thoughts on Musicals though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I too was wondering this :)

Perhaps it was Elie's roundabout way of saying she has seen the Thriller musical... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Patch09'

I think Grease is da best!!!!!:D:P

Advertisement