Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite musical?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have to say my favourite musical is probably Calamity Jane:D

I absolutely love it, and most of the songs are timeless classics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Lola92 wrote: »
    I have to say my favourite musical is probably Calamity Jane:D

I absolutely love it, and most of the songs are timeless classics.
    It's great, isn't it? And she's a good feisty female lead too! I love the whole 'Deadwood stage' opening sequence- fabulous! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gill1189

gotta love calamity jane!!! howard keel.....what a man!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I think Wicked is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 markie24dublin

My absolute favourite has to be Wicked! I loved that musical .. hope it'll come to Dublin one day ... And also love to see it with Kristin Chenowich

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brogen

Wicked is great, as is Avenue Q... I also love most of Andrew Lloyd Webber's stage musicals, except for the film version of Phantom - that was dreadful!

As for movie musicals, I like the oldies like Singin in the Rain and An American in Paris... That said, I enjoyed Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You. Dancer in the Dark (once I ignored Bjork's mad accent) slayed me, and as for Moulin Rouge... There are no words.

I also like the fun send ups as well, like the Buffy and Scrubs episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Aww the Buffy and Scrubs musical episodes were awesome! I love musical episodes, they just make me enjoy the regular shows even more.

I must actually see if there's a soundtrack for the Scrubs one.

Random fact: the patient who heard all the Scrubs staff singing was the original Kate Monster in Avenue Q. Also I believe the writers of Avenue Q wrote the music for Scrubs but she was cast unbeknownst to them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Trust Me

My favourite would have to be RENT. As for the movie vs. theatre version arguments -- I think it depends. Close-ups and excellent sound quality vs. live rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alaragh

My favourite musical would probably have to be Moulin Rouge.... Love it to absolute bits!!!:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

fonpokno wrote: »
    Aww the Buffy and Scrubs musical episodes were awesome! I love musical episodes, they just make me enjoy the regular shows even more.

I must actually see if there's a soundtrack for the Scrubs one.

Random fact: the patient who heard all the Scrubs staff singing was the original Kate Monster in Avenue Q. Also I believe the writers of Avenue Q wrote the music for Scrubs but she was cast unbeknownst to them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭lanyonwhites

oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I've recently discovered Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris courtesy of my dad. He saw it years upon years ago in that theatre that used to be under Busaras (can't remember the name of it) and he's never forgotten any of the songs!

I'm quite enjoying the soundtrack but I've no idea what the actual story of it is. I must do some research. :)

Edit: The Eblana Theatre!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dasbo

I've seen three in the West End in the last few months.

Wicked is untouchable in my opinion...brilliant show.

The Phantom of the Opera is another unbelievable experience...especially when the overture starts.

Hairspray is completely different to the other two...it was very funny...Brian Connolly (Edna) and Micky Dolenz (Wilbur) started ad libbing they were hilarious.

Only found out afterwards that Micky Dolenz was one of the Monkees!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

Hi Folks, Its my first post on boards and I too am surprised to see a musicals forum on here, but what the hell.....

Les Mis is the all time favourite followed closely by blood brothers and Phantom.
    Nearly know all the words at this stage but not a note in my poor head.... what a pity I'd be dangerous if I could sing.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ella_enchanted

Moulin Rouge & Chicago are awesome.
    And I love Sweeny Todd. =]
    And Wicked.
    And Les Mis!
    And I loved Blood Brothers too.
    And Buddy Holly.
    Okay, I just love them all really...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

have to say my all time favourite is oliver. was obsessed with it as a child, fell madly in love with the dodger!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Qheratatie

Les Miserables without question!!!!

Really enjoyed We will rock you also, Queens music transfers well to Musical i think, I saw it in The Point... Sorry.... The O2 and The female lead had the most Stunning voice, rich and smoothe and powerful!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 coraline

My all time favorite is Les Miserables! But I`ve been to Lord of the Rings 2(?) years ago in London and it was amazing! I watched it three times!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Dont think i could possible choose one favourite but up there at the top would be Wicked, Hairspray, Billy Elliot & West Side Story of what ive seen on stage. Love all the oldies on tv, The Wizard of Oz is my all time favourite musical movie.(cant wait for stage show in london)
    Havent by an means seen as many as i want to but to date this is my list of what and where

Miss Saigon-The point
    Chicago-Broadway
    The Lion King-B'way
    Phantom of the Opera-B'way
    The Little Mermaid-B'way
    Les Mis-WestEnd
    Wicked-W'End
    Wicked-B'way
    Mamma Mia-W'End
    Mary Poppins-B'way
    Hairspray-W'End
    Oliver-W'End
    We will Rock you-The O2
    West Side Story-B'way
    Billy Elliot-B'way

im sure im forgetting some :confused:

I´ve seen We will rock you, Wicked and Lion King too, they where great! Another one I couldn´t manage to watch until now is Blood Brothers, I like the story and the music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Blood brothers is def on my list for my next trip to London ive been waiting for years to see it, as is Sister Act which i heard is amazing.
    A girl from Limerick Amanda Minihan who started in BB's & The Producers on the west end will join Sister Act on the 31st May!!
    Would love to get over to see her! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I love les mis and rent and cabaret. I've seen all 3 numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Ive seen Beauty and the Beast in the Opera House, Cork and in the INEC in Kilarney, and Anna and the King in the Opera House too. I would love to see more.
    stupid recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

I know its corny but was in London for the first time valentines day this year and was brought to Dirty Dancing.....

I know its not a real musical but its brilliant !!!!

Other favourites are Beauty and the Beast and Chicago(The Point Theatre)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DaniDaae

Phantom Of The Opera is an all time favorite of mine.. I've seen it sooo many times and I never get tired of it.. It's so heart-breakingly beautiful and powerful.

I've recently seen the sequel Love Never Dies, which has caused some controversy among phans, but I really enjoyed it. The songs were amazing, the special effects and set pieces were fantastic and the actors (Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Bogess) were exceptional.

Andrew Lloyd Webber really can do no wrong, hes a genius!

I´d love to see this show too! But I´m not sure if my budget allows a trip to London Westend the next few month! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

coraline
    seen this show
    great staging ,excellent music although not as spectacular as phantom.its definately a grower.good storyline.well worth a visit before you hear the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

thats a good one...
    I would have to say SPRING FEVER!
    Saw it in NYC! super cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 muggins2003

Evita was super - seen it in the Gaiety for the first time about a month ago. The Lion King was deadly in London - the art work is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Anna13

I like Mamma mia

Advertisement