Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

This is more than likely covered in different forms in the board, But i'm looking for a decent broadband in the trim area, but NOT through the telephone line (as we dont have one)
    I'm looking for something that i will be able to play xbox 360 on and not be a laggy ****e on it. I just want to know what my options are. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not any kind of Mobile Phone Company Mobile or Satellite system (too laggy).

Check out the stickies and ring all the Wireless Companies to see who can offer you a service (if anyone). Given ambiguity of Irish adresses and AnPost's secret Post Codes, having your Lat. and Long. or Irish Grid Ref. picked off a Map or Google Maps/Google Earth would help when talking to sales.

Not a very informed internet guy, so i don't know what does and does not constitute as being 'wireless', But I've been with Irish Broadband for a year, and despite all the negativity that i've heard about them, find them to be excellent. I don't have a telephone line in my house, so they stick an ariel on your roof.

I only played X-Box live for a few days (When GTA IV came out, i wanted to see what online was like) but i didn't have any issues in those days at all.

I don't know if area affects it too much or not, but I'm in Drogheda (Rathmullen, to be precise)

*Edit*

If you're going to be playing on Xbox live, for the love of god, be super-duper careful when signing up to Live and make sure you read an internet review on what options to pick. I wiped my brothers entire memory by mistake. After doing it i read up on t'internet to see if i could undo my mistake, when i found out tha tnot only could i not undo my mistake, but that tonnes of other people wiped their profile by mistake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IBB have at least 4 different systems (now Imagine). You'd not want Xbox on IBB Ripwave in most places. My son-in-law had it and ping was 200ms to 1820ms on occasion. Great value if all you want is to check email once a day and occasional web browse though.

Different systems perform so differently that is more important than Company Name. Wireless is not a single technogly like DSL or Cable (Yes I know there are 4 main kinds of xDSL and 5 main cable systems, but the differences are like different dogs (DSL) or cats (Cable), not half the animal kingdoms (Wireless: Sloth to Cheetah).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Have a look at permanet fixed wireless service get a ping of 70 off peak and up to 150 ish peak hours

Advertisement