Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby goes crazy at 8 o clock

Options
  • 06-09-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

hi there

We have a for the most part an angel of a boy who is only two weeks old. he sleeps no problems all day till 8 and then he will not sleep and cry till about 12. anyone else have this problem. he is breast feed and this is our first baby. We can not pin it down to anything

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its normal. Babies have 'stormy hours' during parts of the day, and its often when you are tryin to relax! I know its not easy, but once you know baby is clean fed and winded, then he is most likely just havin one of those times. He is still settling into a routine, so try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Balrog

are you eating properly and getting enough rest yourself during the day? I found when I was breastfeeding that my milk supply was lower in the evenings.. good diet and rest will sort this out for you..

You should have a two week visit with the public health nurse, make sure to mention it to her. Even though breast fed babys arent supposed to get colic some do.. She may be able to advise you best on this.

Congratulations and best of luck with baby.. I hope things settle down for you soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Breastfeed babies can get colic and it's worth speaking to the Public Health Nurse who can advise you on it.

Often one of the signs of colic is a baby that's crying and drawing it's knees up towards it's belly it and it usually happens in the evening and can last for 3 or 4 months.

Most babies have unsettled periods usually in the evening, they're sometimes called the witching hours.

Quality give the same sort of advice that the midwives gave me when I had my boys. It is important to rest and eat well so that you're able to provide enough milk as supply can be low in the evening. Forget about the housework and spend the evening relaxing with your baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Our little one followed a similar pattern. We came across this description which pretty accurately described our situation. This made sense for us as we were pretty sure the storminess wasn't due to colic.

So in essence she just wants to cluster feed in the evening and if she doesn't get that she complains. In the first few weeks we couldn't believe she'd be that hungry as she was breastfeeding all day. So we used to try other things to settle her, but she just got more and more unsettled. Now she cluster feeds and is happy enough in the evening.

The upside of this for us is that after the cluster feeding she does between say 8pm and 11pm she'll sleep through to 8am-ish without needing a feed or waking up.

Cheers,
    -mem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That evening crying phase is generally considered to be a classic colic symptom. I cut out out dairy and any rich or spicy foods from my diet and the crying eased within a few days. I also spent a lot of time beside the kitchen sink with the tap on full blast as the sound of it seemed to calm him. Oh and with mine it stopped at 6 weeks which was great since I was expecting 3 months of it. If I reintroduced dairy etc it would start up again... so I had a vry boring diet for a few months but it was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

8 to 12pm is generally when you would find mommies diet would be in her system from that day. Check like littlebug suggested that mommy is not eating spicy foods or even orange juice these can taint breast milk. Failing that it might be a case of timing when feeding. you'd have to give us some more info. Breast fed babies generally are fed every two and half to three hours. if you are feeding baby too much during the day then it can lead to an upset tummy later. I dont think its colic as breast fed babies would generally get colic around the 2 month mark not 2 weeks. bottle fed babies can get it earlier around 1 month old.

Hoped that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Could he possibly be still hungry? If it's not that, then possibly colic. Also the advice given on good diet and rest is the best way to keep you and your milk supply healthy.

My last lady fed almost constantly from 7.30pm to 11pm. And then she'd sleep through the night. He is still very young and will settle for you. Talk to your health nurse. ope you are feeling ok and not too tired.
    Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

As other posters said it could be something mommy is eating - oranges, spicy food, cabbage etc. that are coming thru' into the breastmilk & giving your baby colic, or excess gas & pain in the tummy.
    If it is colic, it usually passes in a few weeks/months, you could try Infacol which we used with our daughter & found it helped her a bit (she was breastfeed by the way & had colic a few times at around 4-6 weeks).

Agree with the cluster feeding, my dd often did it after or just before a big long sleep stretch. Also my little man (nearly 4 months & breastfed) usually only lasts about 2 hours between feeds during the day unless he's having a long nap, but he's been sleeping the whole night through for about 2 months now.
    Be prepared for your littleman to have a growth spurt soon too, with our dd when she was around 3 weeks old when she had this & it took me a day or two to figure out what was wrong with her. She was really out of sorts/cranky & CONSTANTLY hungry (thankfully it only lasts a few days) - it's nature's way of increasing your milk supply & will happen again as you continue with breastfeeding. I think it occurs at around 6 wk and 12 wks but don't quote me on those.

If it just that he's a bit put out, you could try swaddling baby in a blanket to make him feel secure, rock him in your arms or hold him up against your chest, they like the warmth & being able to hear your heart beat.

It might be that baby is picking up on vibes at home, are you tired/stressed out in the evening at all, trying to get dinner ready etc? Babies have a knack for being able to tune into these things.

When both of our kids were awake during the day we tried to extend that a bit so that they would sleep in the late evening/night for longer periods.

If it is really worrying you or not getting any better in a few weeks, why not mention it to your GP or PHN.

With a 2 week old it's just a matter of elimination to try find out the cause & you may never, some babies just cry more than others but can grow up to be angel toddlers :) Good luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 balrog

thanks guys for the advice and tips, we are going to give them a try and see. we really should not complain its just upsetting to see him like that. good to have a few heads to bouce things off and keep us first timers straight. (p.s i am the father)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i have a 1 year old and while he is great now,we used to banging our heads off the wall between 6pm and 9pm every evening when he was a newborn.we used to have to put him in the car and drive around for an hour to get a break from the crying and god forbid if we stopped at traffic lights:rolleyes:
    i found from talkin to other parents that most babies get tetchy at this time of the day ,maybe a mixture of colic and just general winding down and releasing after a long day, it will get better though thats for sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement