Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He Should Be Playing For...

• 06-09-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

A bigger club.

Watching the Irish match today it struck me how energetic, imposing and basically what a decent little player Stephen Reid is. Now I know it was only Georgia we were playing but I could help thinking he'd be the perfect foil to Cesc Fabregas for Arsenal. He'd fit right in with being perenially injured and all that! :P

Any other players catch the eye and you think should be playing for one of the heavyweights?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

for a short term fix, I think Arsenal could do worse then Jimmy Bullard as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Except Wenger's not interested in a short term fix, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

cson wrote: »
    A bigger club.

Watching the Irish match today it struck me how energetic, imposing and basically what a decent little player Stephen Reid is. Now I know it was only Georgia we were playing but I could help thinking he'd be the perfect foil to Cesc Fabregas for Arsenal. He'd fit right in with being perenially injured and all that! :P

Any other players catch the eye and you think should be playing for one of the heavyweights?

To play with Cesc? steady on now,as you said it was against Georgia :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shay Mutha-Fu(kein Given.

Doyler.
    McGeady, Celtic are a massive club and all that but he should be playing in a better league.

Kilbane was class at left full but I dunno if he's really any better than Wigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keane should be at Sunderland.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Steve Finnan should be playing for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is true.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

One of the most underrated midfielders in the Premier League in my humble opinion. Wasn't Man Utd sniffing around a couple of years ago iirc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Injuries have held him back. Fingers crossed he'll have an uninterrupted campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Thinking about it there again; Ashley Young is a class act and could arguably play for a top 4 side imo. When you think Pennant gets games at Liverpool...

I'd definitely take him at Arsenal anyway. In Walcott I do not trust!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ashley Young and Jermaine Pennant don't play for Ireland.:rolleyes:

And Steven Reid is at the right club.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm surprised Kevin Doyle is playing in the Championship. He could easily be getting his game for a top 10 Premier League side (along the lines of Aston Villa, Everton etc.).

Blackburn are a good club, particularly under Mark Hughes. With the injuries he's had, I think Steven Reid has done fairly well for himself. See how he gets on if he doesn't get injury

To clarify, my OP meant any player at all, not just players on the Irish team!

To clarify, my OP meant any player at all, not just players on the Irish team!
    Well thats just a GInormous amount of players that you have now included.

And anyways this top four thing is at an end I think. With Man City and their money, and Aston Villa and their money and two good managers to boot, not to mention the perennial underachievers that are Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

A bigger club.

I think Reid is still struggling to shake off his reputation from the Cech incident.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I think Reid is still struggling to shake off his reputation from the Cech incident.

Stephen Hunt you're thinking of I'm fairly sure.

Or did Reid batter Cech another time too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Stephen Hunt you're thinking of I'm fairly sure.

Or did Reid batter Cech another time too?

Sorry, your right. Reid is at the right club then. He must be getting on as well? Seems to have been around forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

weren't Blackburn supposed to have slapped a 20 million price tag on him? i remember hearing there was interest from other clubs but that he was effectively priced out of a move or something...

weren't Blackburn supposed to have slapped a 20 million price tag on him? i remember hearing there was interest from other clubs but that he was effectively priced out of a move or something...
    After todays performance and with the new money flying around the premiership that just went up to 40 million;)

eagle eye wrote: »
    After todays performance and with the new money flying around the premiership that just went up to 40 million;)

:D that must make Cesc Fabregas worth £140 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I've been saying since before the 2002 World Cup that Steven Reid would one day be a pivotal player for Ireland in centre-midfield. I think that day is here or not far off but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet and I really feel he would have realised his full potential sooner had it not been for the variety of injuries he's incurred (and managers playing him out of position on the right side).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think its only the injuries that have held him back from a bigger club.i think hes 27 now so maybe if he can stay injury free this year he will have clubs sniffing around again.IIRC spurs and united were interested about 2 years ago. i think he would do a good job for spurs, hes at least as good as jenas and zokora

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Not surprising really the man's praises were sung all the time and Utd were after him the last time he was fit and playing well.

I've been saying since before the 2002 World Cup that Steven Reid would one day be a pivotal player for Ireland in centre-midfield. I think that day is here or not far off but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet and I really feel he would have realised his full potential sooner had it not been for the variety of injuries he's incurred (and managers playing him out of position on the right side).
    I presume you are talking about managers with Ireland because he rarely played there at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

yeh, he was regarded (which is more relevant than 'played' here cos of the amount of games he missed due to injury) as a right winger in the early days by McCarthy and Kerr to some extent. Likewise, as Sounness said on TV tonight, he didn't know what his best position was when he bought him, which explains why he has sometimes played on the right wing for Blackburn (and not just under Sounness).

He played a few games on the right under Souness, but Mark Hughes put him in the centre after his injury and I don't think he ever played on the right unless it was absolutely necessary as cover under sparky.
    Edit to say he has only had two managers at Rovers until this season and he has not played on the right this season either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Hang on a min, are we talking about Steven Reid here? The one that plays for Blackburn and Ireland? And ye are saying he should be playing for Arsenal? I hate Arsenal but even I know they are much better standered than that. Reid shouldn't be getting his game for Blackburn or Ireland.... Although I have said all this before so not going back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Hang on a min, are we talking about Steven Reid here? The one that plays for Blackburn and Ireland? And ye are saying he should be playing for Arsenal? I hate Arsenal but even I know they are much better standered than that. Reid shouldn't be getting his game for Blackburn or Ireland.... Although I have said all this before so not going back into it.

what an oddly harsh thing to say, given his current, and past form when fit. Shouldn't be in Ireland's midfield? He was the best player on the pitch today...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Does somebody hold a grudge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

What about players that should have played with a bigger club.......

Number 1 on the list has to be Alan Shearer (no offence newcastle fans!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Matt Le Tissier

Of the current crop, Palacios and Valencia at Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

CHD wrote: »
    Does somebody hold a grudge?

Over what, he hasn't done enough in his career to hold a grudge over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What are you on about? Reid is a cracking player...werent United prepared to buy him a few years ago but wouldnt pay the 12m Blackburn were looking for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

mike65 wrote: »
    Keane should be at SundIreland.

Mike

Changed that for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

C.Ronaldo should be playing for a bigger club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tusky wrote: »
    C.Ronaldo should be playing for a bigger club.

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ha :)

S. Reid was getting strong strong interest from United, however, he's had a real tough time with injuries and I think that put people off. He's been v. v. unlucky in that regard, because I think otherwise he'd be with a top club. It really hurt his career.

However, he's had 2 bad years of injuries, if he can stay fit for this season, and puts in good performances, I can see somebody in the top 4 taking a chance on him, most likely Liverpool or Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I propose a test for posting on the football board.

If you clearly know as little about football as this guy you should not be permitted to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Seamie Coleman

I propose a test for posting on the football board.

If you clearly know as little about football as this guy you should not be permitted to post.

But Reid is certainly in no way Arsenal material so the poster does have a point :)

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    But Reid is certainly in no way Arsenal material so the poster does have a point :)

He's better than what we currently have....> nothing.

I'd take him no prob at all. He'd do really well beside Fabregas imo.

I mean otherwise who have we? Denilson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

gustavo wrote: »
    Seamie Coleman

He's a fantastic prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I would happily have Hunt or Doyle at West Ham!

Advertisement