Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you regret any of your tattoo's?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

This is a question for everyone but I would especially like to hear it from the older crowd!

I really want a Tattoo, I dont think it because im young and wanna be cool but rather stand out with a unique tattoo! I have an anime character in mind and want it placed on my right tricep. But I wonder to myself will I regret this when im 40+ ?....I dont think I will since it wont be an out in the open tattoo! but then again 22 years is a long time and many things can change! I mainly get this from people without tattoo's or my parents!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I'm young, and I love my tattoos to bits, although there have been moments where I have regretted committing to the ink, someone else on this forum said "there isn't one tattoo you won't regret at least one" and I'm a firm believer in that.

If you get it for the right reasons I see no reason to worry about worrying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 playtara

well i have 3 and yes i regret getting them,im 23 now and got them when i was 14!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I love my tattoo's and I plan on pretty much having a body suit...But every now and then when i get out of the shower I just look at myself and wonder what it'd be like not to have them. Kinda like american history x. I think if i had the choice I'd like to go just one week without my tatt's just to see if i felt like a part of me was missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

playtara wrote: »
    well i have 3 and yes i regret getting them,im 23 now and got them when i was 14!

Who ever was irresponsible enough to tattoo a 14 year old should be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

I have 3 tatoos, got the first one done when i was 16 (now 25) and I dont regret any of them. Saying that I know I am still young and you never know what will happen in the future. I do love mine but the thing is they are in places that are not visible with most clothes that I wear and they are not really that big or mad, one is on my shoulder blade, my lower back (typical rage at the time!) and one on left side of my stomach. I really do love them all. I thought long and hard about each one though, I thought for two years on the one on my lower back!! And the fact I got them done for me not for anyone else..
    I am young and there could be a possibility in the future I could hate them, but I can just hope that I will never feel this way. I could only imagine having something on your body that you dont like, this is bound to feel very bad.

Think long and very very hard, remember there is no harm waiting until your a little older whatsoever and there is no panic getting one done. If you still really want one in a year or two then go for it.

Lazer treatment can remove them, but dont know how it works or how effective this can be, but believe it can be very expensive. So there are options if the worst happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 playtara

Who ever was irresponsible enough to tattoo a 14 year old should be shot.

i know,it was a guy doing it from his house,i was mad to get one for ages and when i got my 1st i wanted more. thank god i stopped at 3....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I dont regret my tattoos but they arent what id get now.The one on my arm and shoulder are small so they would be easily covered up.The style of the tattoos i like now are different.I really want to get more maybe try to get my sleeve finished so who knows.I have seen some shockers but i rreally love my geisha,im so glad i waited to get her.She is my favourite one[so far],I think wait till you are 21/22 and then decide what to get.I have 12 now and im always asked would i let my kids get tattooed i would,probably get one while i was there,but they say they dont want any,ive enough for them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

i dont mean to be a tosser here but only a total knob gets a tattoo theyll regret.
    you have to be a 110% you both a) like the design and b) that your still going to like it when your older.

people who rush into tattoos become the dicks that go around spreading the crap that tattoos are a bad idea and youll ruin your life etc etc

again KNOBS!

(and sorry if you do have a tattoo you dont like.that must suck)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ENN0

Shimei wrote: »
    i dont mean to be a tosser here but only a total knob gets a tattoo theyll regret.
    you have to be a 110% you both a) like the design and b) that your still going to like it when your older.

people who rush into tattoos become the dicks that go around spreading the crap that tattoos are a bad idea and youll ruin your life etc etc

again KNOBS!

Its a very good point..but you see no one will know how they feel about a tattoo when there older, they might think they will but a series of events could happen and wish you never had the damn thing! and on a side note I have no tattoos thats why im very curious about how people feel about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Nobody can see in to the future and say for certain in 20 years time they will love/hate their tattoos.Im not a knob as a lot of thought went in to my tats even the ones im not mad about I dont have the 7 dwarfs or westlife tattooed on me i have a whale and woodstock.Which is why i said earlier people should be older getting tattooed not younger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

its only been three years since i got mine but haven't regretted it one bit. theres two now that i've in my head i want but i'm not going to rush into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'm 32 and I've got 5 tattoos one of them that I have on my lower tummy I'm not mad about and gonna get covered up. It's not really bothering me(it looks fine and all the tattooist did a perfectly good job) and I'm in no rush to get it covered up, not to many people get to see it anyway. But eventually I'll get it done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Shimei wrote: »

again KNOBS!

So what happens if it was the artists fault you don't like it? I have a piece I'm not too fond of, all beause I couldn't see when the artist was doing it. I'm sorry, but IMO you're coming across as a bit of a *cough* knob here.

No one knows what they'll like when they're older. How will someone know they'll regret it? Who knows. I might regret the pokemon. I might regret the stars. Doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea at the time.

I do get where you're coming from, but it just came across very agressive, chill out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i have one tatoo, got it when i was 16, im 25 now and i really regret it.

the only reason i regret it is because the subject matter is stupid.

i wish i had waited till i was about this age so i could have gotten something better. its on my left hand shoulder (back) and i would love to have gotten a cross the width of my shoulders...

coverup is an option i have been thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I've 2. Got my first one at the age of 20, I still love it.
    got my second one at 22 (I think) and I love that one even more.

both can be covered up. The first one is low on the right side of my stomach and the second one goes across the back of my shoulders.

I'm 25 now and its nearly time to get another one but I can't decide on what or where.
    I've been thinking about my left hip but I'm not sure yet so I'll wait until I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

didn't mean to come across as aggressive but the amount of older people i know with crap tattoos that keep telling me not to get tattooed pisses me off.
    oh you'll regret it.
    its plain and simple.if your not sure, don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I don't regret any of my tats, I don't like some of them (only because they were badly done) but I'm getting them all reworked soon so hopefully that will fix that problem.

My tattoos mark parts of my life, so if I regretted any of them it would be like saying I regret that part of my life....fair enough there are some things I may have done differently, but on the whole the things I went through made me who I am today and I don't regret any of them.

If I had a boyfriends name or some **** like that I might regret it, but if you think long and hard about the design, even if your tastes change down the line, you'll still be able to look at it and remember what you used to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

tbh, tattoos are not something to be taken lightly. if you do end up regretting them, then you obviously didn't put a lot of thought into them.

of course it's not your fault if the artist is poor, but it's your responsibility to keep an eye on it as he/she is working.

imo, you have to think long and hard about every piece you get, no matter how small. i always ask myself will i like them in years to come and i know i will cuz i didn't rush into them. any doubts and it's probably not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I'm 32 and have two, one over each wrist. It took about 17 years to decide on the first one (wanted to get one since i was about 15 but couldn't decide on the design), once i got that one, the second one came along six months later.

No regrets so far, i'm fairly happy to grow old with both of them. It's just a case of choosing wisely in my honest opinion.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

I got my first tattoo for my 18th Birthday ( I'm 30 now ) and I love it just as much today as I did on the day I got it.

It's of a Lion ( I'm a Leo ) standing on a rock roaring...It's on the side of my calf in black and grey.

My second I got 6 years ago in Cyprus and is on my lower back and is Kenji for Invincible. And I love this tattoo aswell.

I'm currently waiting to get my third very soon of my new born son's name on the inside of my wrist.

Each tattoo stands for a certian time in my life and will always remind me of that time.There is no chance of me ever regretting any of them because for me to ever regret will mean I'm regretting that time of my life.

Just don't rush into a tattoo because you think it's cool at that time ( We all thought shell suits were cool:D:D:D ).

Any tattoo that has a meaning for you or reminds you of something you love will never wear thin......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

ENN0 wrote: »
    This is a question for everyone but I would especially like to hear it from the older crowd!

I really want a Tattoo, I dont think it because im young and wanna be cool but rather stand out with a unique tattoo! I have an anime character in mind and want it placed on my right tricep. But I wonder to myself will I regret this when im 40+ ?....I dont think I will since it wont be an out in the open tattoo! but then again 22 years is a long time and many things can change! I mainly get this from people without tattoo's or my parents!

In fairness, if you are already thinking IF one day you will regret it, don't do it, as most likely you will... it doesn't really have much to do with being visable or not, you will know it's there no matter what!

I got my first one done more than 10 years ago, have 3 so far, and will most probably get me another 2 very shortly. Don't regret any, draw them myself... all can be visable if wanted, all have a very strong meaning to me and my life.
    I think is the one of the most important things when making a tattoo, the meaning...

Advertisement