Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physio recommendations in Dublin please!

• 06-09-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good physio that has experience with cycling injuries?

I've done something to my knee and after two weeks rest and the usual treatments its still bothering me.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

pmg001 wrote: »
    Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good physio that has experience with cycling injuries?

I've done something to my knee and after two weeks rest and the usual treatments its still bothering me.

Cheers!

Seamus in Refresh (Westwood), Clontarf has assisted me a few times.
    He is not cycling specific but does treat many cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Mark Sexton on Manor St. (Smithfield) is supposed to be good...ph. 01 6710222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Mark Sexton is very good and is a great acupuncturist as well,he's worked wonders on my Sciatica,only for him i deffo would'nt be on the bike today.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Garreth Farrell, in Physio Dynamics is a great physio. He's in the Dundrum Center

01-2166960

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Mark Sexton is very good and is a great acupuncturist as well,he's worked wonders on my Sciatica,only for him i deffo would'nt be on the bike today.

I can strongly recommend him too. Not only is he great at what he does, he is also happy to explain what exactly he is treating and why he is choosing to treat it in a particular way, so a visit to him can be a learning experience too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Paul Tansey, above Joe Daly's in Dundrum. He a serious cyclist too. A few cyclists, including me have been to see him, and have been very pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Adam Bux in the apollo centre, beside joe dalys in dundrum. used to be the south african rugby teams physio. bloody good at his trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Paul Tansey, above Joe Daly's in Dundrum. He a serious cyclist too. A few cyclists, including me have been to see him, and have been very pleased.

+ 1 for Tansey. He is very good and I have reccomended him to Cyclists and non cyclists after having a very good course of treatment from him - they were all impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

I can corroberate the good reviews posted above.
    Went to see him after seriously injuring cruciate ligaments resulting in 3 months time out and after finally going to see him was back in a matter of weeks on a full training regime.
    On initial assessment he advised it would take six weeks of treatment before I could revert to a normal training schedule, but in fact it only took two weeks (plus a few follow up sessions to be on the safe side and consolidate everything)!
    Comes highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Tutschel wrote: »
    I can corroberate the good reviews posted above.
    Went to see him after seriously injuring cruciate ligaments resulting in 3 months time out and after finally going to see him was back in a matter of weeks on a full training regime.
    On initial assessment he advised it would take six weeks of treatment before I could revert to a normal training schedule, but in fact it only took two weeks (plus a few follow up sessions to be on the safe side and consolidate everything)!
    Comes highly recommended.

Could someone post in Paul Tansey's contact details or PM me with the same? -thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

'68 wrote:
    Adam Bux in the apollo centre, beside joe dalys in dundrum. used to be the south african rugby teams physio. bloody good at his trade.

+ 9 million!!

Am going up to Adam today in fact.

he is the Irish Football team physio for the 3rd time in a row also...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

john77 wrote: »
    Mark Sexton on Manor St. (Smithfield) is supposed to be good...ph. 01 6710222

Can't recommend this guy highly enough. Didn't stretch properly for my first year of cycling and ended up with really bad knee pain because of a tight ITB. He got my knee sorted but what I really liked was that he was all about showing me how to stretch the problem areas properly so I wouldn't have to go back to him. 8000k in the last 100 days with zero knee pain speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

honkjelly wrote: »
    Can't recommend this guy highly enough. Didn't stretch properly for my first year of cycling and ended up with really bad knee pain because of a tight ITB. He got my knee sorted but what I really liked was that he was all about showing me how to stretch the problem areas properly so I wouldn't have to go back to him. 8000k in the last 100 days with zero knee pain speaks for itself.

That's a very timely post honkjelly, I just logged on this morning to do a search for physio recommendations. I've chronic pain in my hip & side of my knee which i'm fairly sure is due to an ITB issue. I'll give that guy a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I've used about 10 different physios in Dublin, have never had an injury that was fixed by physio. Expect to be disappointed.

What sort of program did he put you on?

Bill2673 wrote: »
    What sort of program did he put you on?

Nothing that complex. He had me stretching my calfs, quads and ITB. Lots and lots of reps. I got a foam roller for my ITB too. I also changed my attitude to stretching and do it properly before and after cycling.

Nothing that complex. He had me stretching my calfs, quads and ITB. Lots and lots of reps. I got a foam roller for my ITB too. I also changed my attitude to stretching and do it properly before and after cycling.

Do you mean strengthening exercises or stretching......I don't see how you would do lots and lots of reps of a stretching exercise. Which ITB stretch did you do?

Tks, just curious cause I have the same injury, though mine is from running.

Just to be sure..It was my left ITB was tight, pulling my kneecap out alignment which resulted in pain on the outside of my left knee. Was not strengthening, just trying to loosen the leg out. Regarding reps i'd do each stretch 4 times and try and stretch 4 times a day.

Just to be sure..It was my left ITB was tight, pulling my kneecap out alignment which resulted in pain on the outside of my left knee. Was not strengthening, just trying to loosen the leg out. Regarding reps i'd do each stretch 4 times and try and stretch 4 times a day.

Mine is on right leg.....I was put on a two month strenghthening program by one physio about an hour each day....had zero effect. Another physio did a lot of physical therapy....had zero effect......another did dry needling....had zero effect. Am fairly disillusioned with the world of physio right now as they are all taking my cash as well as sending me on wild goose chases and there's no word of apology out of them. Have had this injury since January.

What stretching exercises were you actually doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sometimes a problem in any field takes a fresh pair of eyes/head.

I had a shoulder problem that 2 physios couldn't solve then a 3rd one solved it instantly with a bit of tape, followed by some exercises.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Sometimes a problem in any field takes a fresh pair of eyes/head.

I had a shoulder problem that 2 physios couldn't solve then a 3rd one solved it instantly with a bit of tape, followed by some exercises.

What I don't understand is that you can go to five different physios and get five different answers. Thats my experience. Its an extremely inexact science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Mine is on right leg.....I was put on a two month strenghthening program by one physio about an hour each day....had zero effect. Another physio did a lot of physical therapy....had zero effect......another did dry needling....had zero effect. Am fairly disillusioned with the world of physio right now as they are all taking my cash as well as sending me on wild goose chases and there's no word of apology out of them. Have had this injury since January.

What stretching exercises were you actually doing?

As far as I understand, you can't really stretch the ITB anyway as it's not a muscle, it's more of a cling-film type tissue that lies over the muscle in the side of the leg from the hip to the knee. So, it'd be the muscles around the ITB that you'd be stretching. What a physio should be doing is loosening up the ITB so that it's not sticking to the muscle. That's my understanding anyways.

What I don't understand is that you can go to five different physios and get five different answers. Thats my experience. Its an extremely inexact science.

Same fixing a car, a computer, financial advice.

That said you get good and bad in every field. But in fairness sometimes theres no easy fix, and sometimes there more than one right answer. Sometimes you have to try all the wrong answers to find the right one. Even Nasa doesn't get it right all the time, and its full of rocket scientists.

As far as I understand, you can't really stretch the ITB anyway as it's not a muscle, it's more of a cling-film type tissue that lies over the muscle in the side of the leg from the hip to the knee. So, it'd be the muscles around the ITB that you'd be stretching. What a physio should be doing is loosening up the ITB so that it's not sticking to the muscle. That's my understanding anyways.

yep thats what physical therapy and foam rollers are aimed at, while strengthening exrecises I guess aimed at something similar......but I hadn't come across stretching exercises as a form of 'loosening up'......

BostonB wrote: »
    Same fixing a car, a computer, financial advice.

That said you get good and bad in every field. But in fairness sometimes theres no easy fix, and sometimes there more than one right answer. Sometimes you have to try all the wrong answers to find the right one. Even Nasa doesn't get it right all the time, and its full of rocket scientists.

A big difference

The mechanic doesn't charge you if he/she cant fix the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

At this stage I've sent at least 10 people I know to IrishFit and they've all been highly impressed with several (like me) having gone to a good few other physios/doctors who couldn't diagnose the problem...only for Leo to have it identified within 30 minutes.

I'm sure there's other good physios out there, but after having so many bad experiences with others, I'll be sticking with IrishFit.

A big difference

The mechanic doesn't charge you if he/she cant fix the car.

Yes they do they charge you for labour and their time. If you have a mechanic that charges no fix no fee, its very unusual. Someone who will work for free like that won't make it pay in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

Raam wrote: »
    Seamus in Refresh (Westwood), Clontarf has assisted me a few times.
    He is not cycling specific but does treat many cyclists.

looking at the prices in that place, when i was in to buy some shaving stuff(which was about 10 euro overpriced per item!) i believe this place to be overpriced! probably not the guy Seamus fault, the management in westwoood are idiots, on these grounds i would avoid!

I didn't want to go into detail about what stretches i was doing because i'm not a trained medical practitioner and the semantics i use might be wrong and or confusing. In my book the ITB can be loose or tight and i'd call anything that loosens it up stretching. When i say stretching the ITB it's probably more like the muscles around it but at the end of the day it's loosening it up which is what you want. My ITB was really really tight and i still had to do about 8 sessions of physio and acupuncture along with the stretching

• Advertisement

I didn't want to go into detail about what stretches i was doing because i'm not a trained medical practitioner and the semantics i use might be wrong and or confusing. In my book the ITB can be loose or tight and i'd call anything that loosens it up stretching. When i say stretching the ITB it's probably more like the muscles around it but at the end of the day it's loosening it up which is what you want. My ITB was really really tight and i still had to do about 8 sessions of physio and acupuncture along with the stretching

Thats fair enough, thanks anyway.

Interesting also that it took that many visits....maybe on reflection I've been tightfisted about it. I've tended to give individual physios 3 or 4 visits and if I'm not getting anywhere I give up on them.

Interesting also that it took that many visits....maybe on reflection I've been tightfisted about it. I've tended to give individual physios 3 or 4 visits and if I'm not getting anywhere I give up on them.

It was from a year of training for la Marmotte in France. I never stretched so i must have done hundreds of thousands of pedal rotations with the ITB getting tighter and tighter and...It takes time to get it back to something resembling normality. Had the injury for about 5 months and Mark was the second physio i tried. I know it must be very demoralising to have tried 3 physios without success but i don't see how you can give up on it if you love running.

It was from a year of training for la Marmotte in France. I never stretched so i must have done hundreds of thousands of pedal rotations with the ITB getting tighter and tighter and...It takes time to get it back to something resembling normality. Had the injury for about 5 months and Mark was the second physio i tried. I know it must be very demoralising to have tried 3 physios without success but i don't see how you can give up on it if you love running.

Far from it. I'll keep ploughing away with the exercises.

Advertisement