Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

do you need to be reg owner to insure car?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

as above
    think I know the answer and tbh I should, but just need clarification:o
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I suppose it depends on who the reg owner is. My wife is the reg owner of my car and have no problem. The only way to be sure is to ask the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you want to be the main insured driver then some companies do yes. Maybe all but I know hibernian wouldn't insure me as main driver unless car was under my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Most insurance companies won't mind once the reg owner is your wife/husband. Other than that, you could have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Webmonkey wrote: »
    If you want to be the main insured driver then some companies do yes. Maybe all but I know hibernian wouldn't insure me as main driver unless car was under my name.

ah well Im with hibernian and the cars under my mums name so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Same set up I had. I got a new car and registered it in my name but they wouldn't transfer insurance over as it had to be in my mothers name. Then I wanted to take out a policy on my own but they said they couldn't since it wasn't offically fully registered to me yet. I took off with Quinn Direct, no probs at all. But they might require car in your own name too. I amn't sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Also with Hibernian.

Wifes car is insured in my name, and my car is registered in her name. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No problems. Car garages do it all the time, where they'll give a celebrity a car for a period of time, and the celeb has to organise their own insurance on a car that doesn't belong to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

No, you can insure a car you are about to test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Where the car is owned by your spouse, there's no requirement to have it in your name as legally the car belongs to you.

Where the car is not owned by a spouse, many insurance companies will offer third party insurance only. You cannot get Fire & Theft or fully comp on a car that's not in your name.

Advertisement