Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi phone and the proxy

Options
  • 07-09-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I was in UCD over the summer and attempted briefly to connect a WiFi phone (Nokia E51 running S60/Symbian 9) to the UCD network. It found it alright but the poxy proxy got in the way as usual, even when I input the settings. Anyone ever connected one of these in UCD? I can use my data plan but at 250Mb a month I'd rather not have to if I can avoid it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't have a Nokia, but I got a different phone (HTC S620) going just fine, and I'm sure I remember this question coming up before (though I can't find it). Did you try entering the proxy details (proxy.ucd.ie:8484)? I think that goes in the wireless profile.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bnt wrote: »
    I don't have a Nokia, but I got a different phone (HTC S620) going just fine, and I'm sure I remember this question coming up before (though I can't find it). Did you try entering the proxy details (proxy,ucd.ie:8484)? I think that goes in the wireless profile.

Yeah, unless things have changed they're the proxy settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I can't connect my nintendo ds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yeah, unless things have changed they're the proxy settings.
    Yep, tried that. Also tried the PAC file. Apparently iPhones work fine too, it may be to do with the browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Have you tried bringing it into IT services?

They'll set up the wireless on pretty much any device, indeed, I know for a fact they set it up on an e51 about 2 days ago for a guy.

• Advertisement

Have you tried bringing it into IT services?

They'll set up the wireless on pretty much any device, indeed, I know for a fact they set it up on an e51 about 2 days ago for a guy.
    Nope, the time I tried it I was just in there for a few minutes over the summer. Don't even remember why. But that's good news, I'll pop into them on Monday maybe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No trouble for my good self on the iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I configured my iphone to use the .pac proxy file and the internet works fine but I can't connect to MSN on it. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I know in general apple and msn are not friends when on the UCD network so maybe you're suffering the same issue with the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

whats the story with not allowing network games anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

neilk32 wrote: »
    whats the story with not allowing network games anyway?
    Do you really need to ask that? No idea at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Anyone know how to change the proxy settings on a N95, or should I just head to Daedelus?

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Anyone know how to change the proxy settings on a N95, or should I just head to Daedelus?
    It'd be the same story as it's running the same OS as the E51. I haven't got mine sorted out yet, I really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Breezer wrote: »
    I was in UCD over the summer and attempted briefly to connect a WiFi phone (Nokia E51 running S60/Symbian 9) to the UCD network. It found it alright but the poxy proxy got in the way as usual, even when I input the settings. Anyone ever connected one of these in UCD? I can use my data plan but at 250Mb a month I'd rather not have to if I can avoid it.

you_fail.jpg

fullstop wrote: »
    you_fail.jpg
    Helpful input! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

vote4pedro wrote: »

I have that phone, went in to Daedelus & they sorted it pretty pronto :)

Geo08 wrote: »
    I have that phone, went in to Daedelus & they sorted it pretty pronto :)
    Out of interest, does everything (any chat programs you have or whatever) work over the WiFi or just the browser?

Out of interest, does everything (any chat programs you have or whatever) work over the WiFi or just the browser?

Well i only checked general internet pages & my gmail & they worked fine! you will just have to test it out when u get it set up :p

Geo08 wrote: »
    Well i only checked general internet pages & my gmail & they worked fine! you will just have to test it out when u get it set up :p
    But I prefer when other people do my work for me :pac:

But I prefer when other people do my work for me :pac:

:pac: no internet for you then! :D

• Advertisement

Do you really need to ask that? No idea at all?

well its not like ya cant get it around it anyway. just have like 2 free afternoons and 1 free morning so would like to play some halo. i can get it to pass ip tests and dns but it fails the mtu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

neilk32 wrote: »
    well its not like ya cant get it around it anyway. just have like 2 free afternoons and 1 free morning so would like to play some halo. i can get it to pass ip tests and dns but it fails the mtu.
    This is intentional.

UCD have blocked network games, msn etc because they A)Use up bandwith making the internet slower for everyone else and B)Tie up computers that people need for academic work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Unfortunately in the process of so doing they've broken quite a few de-facto non-gaming apps, but that's another day's rant....

A few tips for the proxy people:

Make sure that you're selecting a HTTP proxy on your phone - some will also search for a SOCKS proxy, which is another type of animal completely.

UCD don't use port 3128 - they use port 8484. Make sure that port number is correct. If there isn't space for one in whatever phone you have, you can usually enter it with a colon after the proxy name.

The proxy's name is in fact proxy.ucd.ie.

Some phones have space for a username/password. You don't need to fill this in on UCD's network.

I know for a fact though that the i-Phone will pick up the settings automatically so you should be OK.

msn isnt blocked and xbl or steam use up a tiny amount of bandwidth compared to some things that you are still able to do. like direct downloading etc.

Advertisement