Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amphitheatre

Options
  • 07-09-2008 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

untitled.PNG

(Still waiting on a few socities to get their logos sorted, but I said I'd throw it up anyways to build a bit of anticipation :D)

So here you have it, conceived and organised by yours truly on behalf of Dramsoc - I'm expecting all boardsies to get in on the action; look out for the banner ads later in the week.

Website is @ www.dramsocamphitheatre.com (Placeholder atm, well aware it looks like the worst site ever - have to sort out our hosting issues before the proper site can get up)

Be our friend on Bebo @ http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7757785691

<PROMOTION CAP ON>
    Welcome to what is quickly shaping up to be the flagship open-air competition of Fresher's Week! Hosted by the last two Iron Stomach Winners and SU/Society stalwarts Mssrs. Jonny Cosgrove & Mike-Pat O' Donoghue, the Ampitheatre is an open-air Gladiator-esque competition with a few twists. Situated in the Pit for maximum exposure, CTN and FilmSoc are on the scene to commit it to celluloid while Red Bull promotion girls are in with the Dodge and dedicated DJs are playing all day. It promises to be a messy, drunken, custardy extravaganza and, for once, there are some very worthwhile prizes up for grabs from our sponsor Philips Ireland.
    The Amphitheatre is a two-tiered open-air competition running in the first half of Fresher’s Week. The qualification stage is focused on a Rodeo Bull placed outside of the Fresher’s Tent on the first day – the top times on our scoreboard @ 5pm winning entry into the Amphitheatre itself on Tuesday.

The ‘Annihilation’ stage takes place as a heavily advertised and popularised event in the Pit. Our contestants are mixed in with the Auditor’s of over 10 participating societies, as well as key members of the UCDSU and the current Ents Officer.

Combining the twin disciplines of Sumo Wrestling and Podium combat to weed the weak out early on, the later rounds of the Amphitheatre are designed to test both the physical and mental limits of our contestants. Those of the audience unsatiated by the carnival food and special sideshow acts provided throughout the show will find it hard not to become enthralled when the action starts to kick off…

While the ideology that ‘50 may enter, but only one can leave’ rings true, the inclusiveness of the event is the cornerstone of its conception. To this end, a number of spot prizes and appropriate trophies will be awarded to both winning and losing contestants under a number of ‘special’ categories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

well this should be a great laugh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

kev_s88 wrote: »
    well this should be a great laugh lol

True that!

Early mock-up, but look out for these on campus during the week :)

amphimock.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Jimmy, how on earth did you get this stickied?
    Sounds good anyway

Qualification round is kicking off from 11am tomorrow (Monday) behind the freshers tent with our rodeo bull - only 26 can gain entry so make sure you're there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BeadyEyes

you know the guy who won this still hasn't received his prize. A 22" LCDTV has been ordered or so we're told

They've been promising it "next week" for the past 13 weeks and there's still no sign of it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Interesting, what is your source for this?

also could a mod please edit that advertisement at the top of the thread. Its messing with my browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BeadyEyes

He's in my class. We've been badgering him for the entire semester for it. They told him in week 12 that they'd have it in 5 working days, conveniently then there hasn't been anyone down in the Dramsoc theatre since the semester ended

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im sure your mate has tried the Dramsoc office. Bad show however giving away a prize they didnt have to give away but im sure there is a very reasonable response on dramsocs part.

BeadyEyes wrote: »
    He's in my class. We've been badgering him for the entire semester for it. They told him in week 12 that they'd have it in 5 working days, conveniently then there hasn't been anyone down in the Dramsoc theatre since the semester ended

There's been upwards of 30 people in both the office and rehearsing for the 400+ seat Leaving Cert play in the theatre *every* day throughout the exams right up until we were kicked out of the Newman building at 10pm last Friday; even then, insinuating that a 1200 odd strong society with the two biggest premises on campus and the highest active membership were somehow 'avoiding' someone during the middle of the semester exams is a bit nonsensical.

Both myself and the society have been completely transparent with our prizewinners - I have been completely available at all times and have physically met with the person in question nearly every week since the competition - as he himself can confirm. I can assure you I'm as pissed off with the whole situation as the next man, its a poor reflection on both myself and, by proxy, the society, that this has dragged on so long, but these things are often unavoidable in the course of the operation of any large society.

There had been some unavoidable delays so that we could secure the latest model of mp3 players for our contestants, amongst other things (as well as one shipping error), but all of this has been rectifed as I write this and the person referenced will be in posession of his hard fought and well deserved prize well before the beginning of the semester.

It's a bit ****, no argument and no excuse, but insinuating that one of the hardest working and most dedicated societies in UCD is somehow being underhand or trying to pull a 'fast one' is patently untrue.

(Aside: We are the single most closely regulated society in UCD due to the volume of work, accounts, amount of external representation and paperwork we go through a semester. If we, as with any society, were ever to operate out of the terms of the stringent guidelines and regulations set down by the college we would be shut down immediately and individual members held accountable for their actions. Simple as.)

Advertisement