Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American sweets you can't get in Ireland?

• 07-09-2008 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm coming to Ireland soon and want to bring some candies sweets for a few friend, but I want it to be a surprise or else they'd tell me not to bother out of politeness. What can't you get in Ireland that I can bring from here?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Methinks the US falls short in terms of candy sweets quality or taste, the one exception might be the salt water taffy made in San Francisco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Well, that was helpful. :rolleyes::p Anyway, I don't think the flavor is as important as it being something you can't get in Ireland because it's always fun to try new things, even when they taste horrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

You can't get a lot of the peanut butter stuff here.

Personally I like peanut butter M&Ms, York Peppermint patties, and chocolate covered pretzels.

The Hershey's chocolate tastes totally different to choc you get here, and not in a good way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

+1 for Peanut Butter M&Ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't think you can get almond M&Ms here and they're pretty nice. Don't bring Hersheys. Making your friends feel sick is not a good thing. :p

Ooh if you want to find me a jar of Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge sauce that'd be good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cozmik wrote: »
    +1 for Peanut Butter M&Ms
    +2!
    only had them last week, lovely, you can get all these things on ebay.

Thanks everyone! I was also thinking about taking chocolate peanut butter, do you think that would be well-received?

And re: Hershey's. I despise the stuff and a couple months ago my mom and I were discussing what I could take over, and she said Hershey Kisses. I said no way in hell, because Hershey's chocolate tastes like wax and there's no way I'd be giving out little blobs of waxy crap. Anyway, she thought I was being an elitist but now I feel vindicated!

Janeybaby I've never seen B&J fudge sauce. It sounds incredible!

PillyPen wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I was also thinking about taking chocolate peanut butter, do you think that would be well-received?

And re: Hershey's. I despise the stuff and a couple months ago my mom and I were discussing what I could take over, and she said Hershey Kisses. I said no way in hell, because Hershey's chocolate tastes like wax and there's no way I'd be giving out little blobs of waxy crap. Anyway, she thought I was being an elitist but now I feel vindicated!

Janeybaby I've never seen B&J fudge sauce. It sounds incredible!

Sweet Jesus I despise peanut butter but that looks so good!

I got B&J fudge sauce in a scoop shop in New York. It lasted about 2 hours after I stepped off the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PhotoMe

Twizlers. I love the strawberry and cherry ones. Haven't seen them here though. Any time I go to the US I bring a load back with me.

Thanks for the Twizzlers suggestion. I'm not too crazy about them myself, but I imagine little kids would love them, and that's whom I'm giving the candy to.

I saw in another thread that someone mentioned Jolly Ranchers. Are those not available in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As mentioned above, Peppermint Patties. YUM!!
    Junior Mints are also yummy!
    Beef jerky is also a favourite... love the stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Skittles? we only have the regular fruit ones here.

Someone brought me back a bag of Hershey's Kisses years ago, I thought it was great at the time even if they were horrible.

I haven't seen Jolly Ranchers around in years, don't think they're still available here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Oh thought of another one...you know the way M&Ms do special edition packets?

It would be a good idea to bring over some of the Halloween ones if they are out yet as they dont sell them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

fluff.jpg AND smoothpb.jpg

Sweet mother of god, there's no fluff in Ireland???

And the different Skittles and Halloween edition candies are great ideas!

Whiskeyman that's hilarious that you like beef jerky. That isn't available in Ireland either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

You have to bring over ding dongs!

I don't think I've ever had a ding dong, I was always a Twinkie girl myself!

Sweet mother of god, there's no fluff in Ireland???

And the different Skittles and Halloween edition candies are great ideas!

Whiskeyman that's hilarious that you like beef jerky. That isn't available in Ireland either?

You can get ridiculously overpriced Fluff in some ridiculously overpriced shops in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Never seen it here. It's probably banned due to public health concerns.
    It's gorgeous though!!! I've gone through bags and bags whenever I go over.
    Mmmmmm jerky!!

Never tried Turkey Jerkey yet though... someday.

Oh, and get Fudge covered Oreos. Sometimes they're mint fudge covered too. Only get the plain non covered ones here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

twinkies rule!! just came back from NY with half a suitcase full.

hersheys milk duds are gorgeous too.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Peanut butter M&Ms!

flavours of poptarts you cant get in ireland like American Smores,Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and other lovely choc flavours !!:pac: what about flavoured lipbalms and the likes !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

janeybabe wrote: »
    You can get ridiculously overpriced Fluff in some ridiculously overpriced shops in Ireland.

Aldi sell it when they're doing their American promotions, it's a different brand, but it's the same stuff and only cost a couple of Euro.

Aldi sell it when they're doing their American promotions, it's a different brand, but it's the same stuff and only cost a couple of Euro.

thank you so much i love it !!! and couldn't find anywhere that sold it
    (at a resonable price anyway!)

XxlauraxX

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Watchamakalit bars...they were lovely!

Jeez i'd love a twinkie.

Good to know! It's awful stuff really though.

gram crackers and choc (use galaxy it lovely:pac::pac: lol) and marshmallows !! and you are good to go !:D23464578_400x400.jpg

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Never seen it here. It's probably banned due to public health concerns.
    It's gorgeous though!!! I've gone through bags and bags whenever I go over.
    Mmmmmm jerky!!

Never tried Turkey Jerkey yet though... someday.

Oh, and get Fudge covered Oreos. Sometimes they're mint fudge covered too. Only get the plain non covered ones here.

I've never had the fudge-covered Oreos. They just seem too decadent! Yeah jerky is delicious, especially some of the home-made stuff you can get in the PA wilds.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    twinkies rule!! just came back from NY with half a suitcase full.

hersheys milk duds are gorgeous too.:D

Lol, Twinkies are pretty much the best snack item in the world. That's hilarious that you took a half a suitcase back.
    XxlauraxX wrote: »
    flavours of poptarts you cant get in ireland like American Smores,Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and other lovely choc flavours !!:pac: what about flavoured lipbalms and the likes !:D

I didn't know Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop-Tarts existed, but the S'mores are my favorite ones! Yummers. That's a bummer, actually, I'll have to have my mom ship me some every so often I guess.
    Dlite wrote: »
    Watchamakalit bars...they were lovely!!

Jeez i'd love a twinkie.

Nooo!!!! You don't get Watchamacallits??? This thread is just depressing me now!!
    Good to know! It's awful stuff really though.

Take it back, commie!

This thread is just depressing me now!!

Don't worry. You'll get to sample such delights as the Macaroon bar.

• Advertisement

Don't worry. You'll get to sample such delights as the Macaroon bar.

Oooh I forgot about those, I will love it, I'm sure! Plus that ginger cookie Pighead was talking about the once. And kebabs and delicious varieties of take-outs, etc.

Advertisement