Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American sweets you can't get in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

WindSock wrote: »
    I never understood why M&Ms are so popular. Smarties are better.

I thought you meant these Smarties, and I was really confused by Irish tastes in candy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

PillyPen wrote: »
    I thought you meant these Smarties, and I was really confused by Irish tastes in candy!

No, they're like a cheaper version of M&Ms (we have those sweets you linked to here, don't know what they're called though).
    XxlauraxX wrote: »
    smarties taste like ***t IMO the hard shell around them is disgusting bleuugh:eek::eek:

So true, and when you get through the disgusting shell there's nasty Nestle chocolate inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, but there's an orange flavoured one :pac:

I always wanted to make a pack of smaries that had different flavoured choco for each colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

Tootsie Rolls, Tootsie Pops, chocolate-covered pretzels (practically pretzels period, by the way). I'm American and my wife is Irish and she doesn't like Hershey's much either. I disagree (I'm from Pennsylvania, no less), but she says it's actually too sweet. Haven't seen Heath bars here, but there's something I've had that's pretty similar. By the way, beef jerkey is almost unheard of here and the wife and kids developed a real fondness for it when in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

deffo bring oreos !!:pac::D

They're not available in Ireland?? :(
    janeybabe wrote: »
    They are.

Only ever seen plain Oreos here... still bring back the below if you see them!!
    They are teh sex!! (especially the mint fudge!!)

oreo.jpg

t_Fudge%20Oreo.jpg

Oreo-FudgeMint.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

ye we have them but they are called fizzers or something !lol we also have these

Paramaviolet.jpg

they are gross !:eek::eek: bleuugh :eek::eek:

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Only ever seen plain Oreos here... still bring back the below if you see them!!
    They are teh sex!! (especially the mint fudge!!)

oreo.jpg

t_Fudge%20Oreo.jpg

Oreo-FudgeMint.jpg

I've never had any of those, but they look yummy! Have seen them around.
    ye we have them but they are called fizzers or something !lol we also have these

I don't get them! Smarties (American) are the candies that really disappoint you on Halloween, although I do like them when someone gives me one.

I don't get them! Smarties (American) are the candies that really disappoint you on Halloween, although I do like them when someone gives me one.

same here !!! they might as well be giving out chalk ! lol they really are gross !!

I saw on another thread that Big Red is not available in Ireland, so I bought 30 packs to bring. Was this a poor decision?

Big Red:
    410ZCJZEY1L._AA280_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I saw on another thread that Big Red is not available in Ireland, so I bought 30 packs to bring. Was this a poor decision?

Big Red:
    410ZCJZEY1L._AA280_.jpg
    Yes, bad move. Cinnamon, bleugh :p

• Advertisement

Yes, bad move. Cinnamon, bleugh :p

I don't like it, either! But then, I don't like M&Ms particularly, so I thought maybe they'd go over in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I don't like it, either! But then, I don't like M&Ms particularly, so I thought maybe they'd go over in Ireland. :rolleyes:

If you have any trouble getting rid of them give me a shout :D We used to have them here, but not any more. I love them, always bring back a few packs when I go to the States.

All right I ended up buying the following:
    Almond M&Ms
    Peanut M&Ms
    Peanut butter M&Ms
    Hershey's Cookies n Cream bars (A deliciously sexy black man was the cashier who rang me up for these. He was flirting with me and finally said, rather seductively, "Enjoy your cookies and cream." I know it's OT, but dayum!! Put a smile on my face!)
    Gummy eyeballs for Halloween
    Marshmallow fluff
    Mallow cups
    Big Red
    Reese's Big Cups

And I do believe that's it. It seems like an awful lot now that that I see it all written down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Almond M&Ms
    Peanut M&Ms
    Peanut butter M&Ms
    Hershey's Cookies n Cream bars (A deliciously sexy black man was the cashier who rang me up for these. He was flirting with me and finally said, rather seductively, "Enjoy your cookies and cream." I know it's OT, but dayum!! Put a smile on my face!)
    Marshmallow fluff
    Mallow cups
    Big Red
    Reese's Big Cups

And I do believe that's it. It seems like an awful lot now that that I see it all written down.

Wow I hope you're not planning on bringing any clothes with you! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ciaran170

can anyone please tell me were to get jolly ranchers in dublin they were the nicest sweets ever.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Almond M&Ms
    Peanut M&Ms
    Peanut butter M&Ms
    Marshmallow fluff
    Mallow cups
    Big Red
    Reese's Big Cups

We do have Peanut M&Ms here :D

.... but where's my Ben & Jerry's? :(

Where's my Ben & Jerry's? :(

Well that's good, because my brothers sneaked into my room and ate most of the M&Ms lolz.

It's in the mail!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Paramaviolet.jpg

they taste like soap, ive never been able to finish a packet of em!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I love love love parma violets!!!!

Can you get them in dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Almond M&M's are really nice, I always stock up when I goto the States.

I have to agree with the previous posters regarding Herseys chocolate, it is the worst tasting crap I have ever had the misfortune to taste.

I got a bar when I was over in Jan, I took one bite and spat it straight back out again, I think it actually made me vommit a bit in my mouth, tastes like it's made from rotten milk!!

The Herseys Cadbury bars are also revolting and inedible.

I don't know how the Americans can eat the sweets there, it is totally disgusting (except for M&M's obviously!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

lord lucan wrote: »
    hersheys milk duds are gorgeous too.:D

Yep, have to agree, someone brought them back in work years ago and never forgot them!!!! Searched New York for them last year and they only had them in the Hershey's store itself. Bought 2 boxes. Going to absolutely stock up this year definitely!!!!

milkduds.jpg

As for the other Hershey's stuff. Not a fan.

GeturGun wrote: »
    Yep, have to agree, someone brought them back in work years ago and never forgot them!!!! Searched New York for them last year and they only had them in the Hershey's store itself. Bought 2 boxes. Going to absolutely stock up this year definitely!!!!

milkduds.jpg

As for the other Hershey's stuff. Not a fan.

they have a version of them over here they are called Poppets(i think?) , you can get them in 2 euro shops !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

they have a version of them over here they are called Poppets(i think?) , you can get them in 2 euro shops !!

or in those vending machines in some toilets, condoms, tampons, and poppets for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Hmm, most interesting, most interesting, indeed.

So, Where might these tasty morsels be obtained? =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Almond M&Ms
    Peanut M&Ms
    Peanut butter M&Ms
    Marshmallow fluff
    Mallow cups
    Big Red
    Reese's Big Cups

a spar up the road from me in sligo sells the cookies n cream bars.
    mmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

jahalpin wrote: »
    I have to agree with the previous posters regarding Herseys chocolate, it is the worst tasting crap I have ever had the misfortune to taste.

Agreed, it's horrible and doesn't deserve to be called chocolate. Have you ever tried Dark Hersheys? It's evil solidified. M&Ms are so much better than Smarties and Peanut M&Ms are one of my favourite sweets (and happily you'll get them in pretty much any shop that sells sweets here cozmik)

I'm off to the States for my first ever visit on Monday and after reading this thread I really can't wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

elekid wrote: »
    (and happily you'll get them in pretty much any shop that sells sweets here cozmik)

Thanks elekid

I thought emeraldstar might be talking about the peanut butter ones. As you say yourself the ordinary peanut ones are everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

I FOUND THIS

http://www.americansweets.co.uk

Has EVERYTHING..Cheap enough too

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/index.asp?function=CART&mode=UPDATE&id=5&qty=1

Here's my cart..

YUM

Cannot wait for Jack Daniels BBQ sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Whatcamacllit
    butter fingers
    milk duds
    sno cups
    and yummy big red chewing gum!!!

Root beer (my OH loves it)

Mary Janes (what the hell i am self indulgent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive been following this thread for a while as I was coincidentially pondering setting up a retail outlet selling import candy here. Before launching into that I brought in a pallet sized amount of American candy to gage interest and get a feel for it. I have pretty much everything mentioned above, so if anyone is interested in buying US stuff "locally", drop me a PM. Generally would prefer lots of 6x per bar (I have case loads of each, not like 1 or 2 bars or anything). You can see photos of it all here.

Hopefully this isnt considered spam, as Im not (yet!) a business enterprise.

As a related FYI, An Post shipping charges are killing me from an eBay selling perspective! 6 pack of Root Beer is 2.2kg (therefore a "parcel"), which is min EUR28 to UK! Ideally It makes more sense to sell the heavy things locally.

Advertisement