Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gwan da Deise! [Final Discussion Thread]

• 07-09-2008 9:47am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I doubt there will be many online, but just in case people are watching the match and are online at the same time.. use this thread to discuss the match instead of going over to the GAA Forum :)

The team for today is unchanged..

C Hennessy; E Murphy, K McGrath, D Prendergast; A Kearney, T Browne, K Moran; M Walsh , J Nagle; D Shanahan, S Prendergast, S Molumphy; E McGrath , E Kelly, J Mullane

Still have tickets? Probably to late to be selling them but try this forum or toutless.com.

Best of luck to all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

What ratio the Waterford All Ireland Final Support virgins to the Kilkenny hordes? I reckon about 2:1.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just listening to Beat.. atmosphere at the station in Dublin seems great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i wreckon ilkenny won,t have it as easy as they think and they,ll be lucky if they even get there three in a row!!! i hope the deise win it,ll soften the kilkenny folks cough for a while "COME ON THE DEISE"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Seen plenty of blue and white up here today and yesterday, and no black and amber yet! Pretty much anyone I've talked to is rooting for Waterford :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Seen plenty of blue and white up here today and yesterday, and no black and amber yet! Pretty much anyone I've talked to is rooting for Waterford :)

If you talk to the same anyone after the match and should KK win, you'll find they were rooting for KK before the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

couldn't pick a winner so i backed a draw @9/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Im a Dub, but living in waterford the last 8 years (boy)

im really rooting for the Deise today.. just about to hop out of bed now and get my arse into a shower and then down to town to watch and support the boys!!!

Best of luck to the team today..

this is gonna be great!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Jaysus, what a hiding! we'll never hear the end of this.

They'll be rubbing it it for years:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It will be some time before we'll be able to go over the bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Commiserations guys. Didn't think there would be that much of a gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

i wreckon ilkenny won,t have it as easy as they think and they,ll be lucky if they even get there three in a row!!!

oops.

To be fair to Kilkenny they are an awesome team throughout and no team in the land would've beaten them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

oops.

To be fair to Kilkenny they are an awesome team throughout and no team in the land would've beaten them today.

aye but no one could have predicated it would be just that bad. I just hope that the team can pick themselves up and not let this scar them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Well its not all bad news. KK do have some weaknesses! They did have two wides and the keeper made one mistake! :(

Alas, I fear this could have a lasting impact on Waterford hurling. Hope not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hopefully the fans wont turn there backs on the team. Lets great them at the home coming - they managed to get us into the final and provide great entertainment throughout the year. They were not on top form today, but Kilkenny were on excellent form. We would have never won it. I think we are improving, and we could potentially get there in the future with a bit more push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Lets hope the town doesn't get too messy tonight, a lot of people will be drowning their sorrows!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hell's bells !!! An awful hiding. No two ways about it. Only consolation is that the pick of Ireland would'nt have beaten Kilkenny today.What effect it will have is hard to guage. Everything is against the Deise. Old team, new manager (? ex-mgr). This could put Waterford hurling back 5 yrs or more. Expect 5/6 retirements. Pipeline is empty. A sad day and horrible to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm actually hopeful that it won't be too busy out tonight. I'm back in work shortly but I'd imagine most people will already be home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Folks,

Being a KK man. I thought it was a horriable game to watch. I really and truly felt sorry to watch such a great Waterford team be ripped to shreads by that much. I look forward to a good, fair and sporting game of hurling any day. I really don't know where it went wrong for Waterford. Both teams were fair and very sporting in they way they played.

There was no contest however. And at one sided matches there never is. Kilkenny were flawless in delivering a winning game. The amount Waterford lost by is by now means a justification to the quility of the team they have.

Maybe some will agree, but I think Waterford should have already have an All-Ireland in the bag. In my opinion this Waterford team is not as good as ones in previous years.

There is reports about a manager change again!! YOu will have some retirements from the team but by no means should your manager go after 4 months!! I would give Davy a chance. He's a man with a lot of spirit and determination. It is just sad to see the Waterford spirits have been shattered today. It will no doubt take a long time to recover from that.

Maybe next year Kilkenny will find it a bit harder once Galway and Antrim are introduced to the Leinster championship. Munster is by far the hardest provience to compete in in my opinion.

I am genuinely sorry for Waterfords hurlers and fans today. The one thing that saddens me is the youths of Waterford that were watching todays final. How disheartened and dejected they must feel and wonder is it really worth holding a hurl and ball again?
    Imagine if the roles were reversed? What 70 mins of a great game can do?

A fair and honest post - nice! :) Whatever happened, I agree it was a complete shame. Kilkenny were never going to go easy no matter how bad we were - they went to town on us. Not that I blame them at the end of the day.

Whatever happened, its FAR to early to drop Davey. For crying out loud thats just outrageous.

Apparently, a lot of the KK folk on the train home feel the same way as you. They were supprised at how Kilkenny excelled and played to their strongest yet. Waterford Fans were still in good humour, discussing the match. Alas, its such a shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

shapez wrote: »
    Folks,

Being a KK man. I thought it was a horriable game to watch. I really and truly felt sorry to watch such a great Waterford team be ripped to shreads by that much. I look forward to a good, fair and sporting game of hurling any day. I really don't know where it went wrong for Waterford. Both teams were fair and very sporting in they way they played.

There was no contest however. And at one sided matches there never is. Kilkenny were flawless in delivering a winning game. The amount Waterford lost by is by now means a justification to the quility of the team they have.

Maybe some will agree, but I think Waterford should have already have an All-Ireland in the bag. In my opinion this Waterford team is not as good as ones in previous years.

There is reports about a manager change again!! YOu will have some retirements from the team but by no means should your manager go after 4 months!! I would give Davy a chance. He's a man with a lot of spirit and determination. It is just sad to see the Waterford spirits have been shattered today. It will no doubt take a long time to recover from that.

Maybe next year Kilkenny will find it a bit harder once Galway and Antrim are introduced to the Leinster championship. Munster is by far the hardest provience to compete in in my opinion.

I am genuinely sorry for Waterfords hurlers and fans today. The one thing that saddens me is the youths of Waterford that were watching todays final. How disheartened and dejected they must feel and wonder is it really worth holding a hurl and ball again?
    Imagine if the roles were reversed? What 70 mins of a great game can do?

A very fair and honest assessment. Thanks for that. It is truly depressing. Colours to the mast here - I'm not a true GAA supporter (unlike the thousands in Croke Park today) but I have a tremendous interest in anything where a team represents Waterford. My extended family are avid GAA supporters, so I'd know a fair bit about the game.

I myself was gutted. I can only imagine how they felt. But that Kilkenny time has set the benchmark for hurling for years to come. Kinda like Man United in the UK. And the others will have to keep up in order to compete.

Without a doubt no team would have beaten them today. It was unfortunate that it was the Déise. But I'd hold onto Davy Fitz. It would be foolhardy - to say the least - to get rid of him after a handful of games.

Congratulations and well done to Kilkenny. Commiserations to the great Déise squad. It wasn't to be their day. But I have a sneaking feeling it will be. And very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Camdec

Sully wrote: »
    A fair and honest post - nice! :) Whatever happened, I agree it was a complete shame. Kilkenny were never going to go easy no matter how bad we were - they went to town on us. Not that I blame them at the end of the day.

Whatever happened, its FAR to early to drop Davey. For crying out loud thats just outrageous.

Apparently, a lot of the KK folk on the train home feel the same way as you. They were supprised at how Kilkenny excelled and played to their strongest yet. Waterford Fans were still in good humour, discussing the match. Alas, its such a shame
    Worst all-ireland ever. Everyone was rooting for Waterford. Bit of a letdown. I think their all-Ireland was played against Tipp. Will have to pull themselves up for next year. Reckon not many will watch the replay tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

God, yeah, give Davy a chance. I can't stand this, usually tabloid fueled, thing of firing a manager if there aren't immediate high-level wins. Waterford have done well, it just didn't work for them today. It would be a shame to see someone go because of losing in a final against what everyone seems to consider an exceptional team. They've had good wins to get this far, but that kind of thing doesn't seem to matter to the withchunters who like to see managers fall.

Indeed. There were those in Kilkenny who wanted Cody out after KK lost the 2004 Final v Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,001 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard luck lads - you had 31 counties behind you today and as has been said, the pick of the country wouldn't have beaten Kilkenny today.

This talk of gretting rid of Davy is absolutely insane. The man has exceptional leadership skills. He's a legend. Let him and the squad build on this experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I was lucky enough to be there today.... I say lucky not for our display but to see a Kilkenny team is such form was unbelievable. I was gutted after 20 mins knowing the game was over. As well as feeling sorry for all the other fans who made the journey I also felt sorry for the Kilkenny fans, yes they got the result they really wanted but by god they didn't get a game. The atmosphere in the second half was so flat because at 16 points down there was no coming back. The only thing Waterford were playing for in the second half was pride.... sadly it didn't happen. To be fair to all the Kilkenny supporters at the game there was no slagging.... maybe worse than that there was sympathy!!

Players like Tony, Ken etc have been incredible for the Deise over the years. It would have been fitting to see them finish their careers with an All Ireland medal... it was always going to be a long shot today but Killkenny were too good and we were far too poor. I heard Fergal Hartley talk afterwards about how lonely that dressing room would be after the game. Before the game my phone was constantly buzzing with texts from well wishers all over the country, afterwards nothing. Why? Because no-one knew what to say! To the Deise hurlers, it didn't work today, but boys you got there for the first time in my lifetime. You will get there again, and next time you WILL give a better account of yourselves and who knows the medal may well be yours in the future. I'm still proud to be a Waterford hurling fan.

Well done Kilkenny for a sensational performance, you were well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

Hard luck lads - you had 31 counties behind you today and as has been said, the pick of the country wouldn't have beaten Kilkenny today.

they just gave the MoTM to Cody, nice touch, even though I thought Brennan would scoop it for 2-4 from 6 chances. They obviously just couldn't decide at RTE

EDIT: just to add, as a south KK man in Dublin, I was a bit disappointed in retrospect after all the build up with Waterford friends up here during the past week, and all the amateur analysis and anticipation. Haven't spoke to them yet, they've be distraught. Such an unusual (freak even) game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,001 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sk8board wrote: »
    they just gave the MoTM to Cody, nice touch, even though I thought Brennan would scoop it for 2-4 from 6 chances. They obviously just couldn't decide at RTE
    It just shows how much of a 'team' they are! Nice touch. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

anyone know where and what time should we be in town for when the hurlers come home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i effin hope so ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Shocking results, but fair play to the lads for getting ye to the Final!

Was there in my Kk jesery (im form the boarder!!):p . It was dishearting to see the loads of the crowd leave at half time, Everyone shoud be there when the boys come home , there the best team waterford had in years, and deserve a good homecoming.

Advertisement