Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messed something up with Ubuntu installation

• 07-09-2008 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I decided to install Ubuntu as a dual-boot on this machine. I had the same LiveCD I'd used to install it on another machine, so I went to use that yesterday. My first problem was I was unable to partition. No matter what I did, it told me it was unable to write settings to storage device. So I went back into XP (where I am now) and scandisked and defragged a couple of times.

However, I've not been able to get back into the installation process since. I first got i/o errors so after googling a bit, I disconnected my external h/d (never had to do that on the other machine) and I've got past that, but now I keep getting 'user not known to the underlying module'. I also notice that if I just view Ubuntu from the LiveCD, I'm being asked for a username & password. I never got as far as setting one during installation, so where is this coming from?

It looks to me like an installation that been sort of aborted halfway through (which is likely, as I've tried it several times now). The fact that I'm being asked for username on the 'view Ubuntu' option implies to me that it somehow tried to install Ubuntu on the LiveCD???? I'm a complete noob but any googling about this error suggests a previous installation. How can that be, though, my LiveCD is in a DVD-ROM drive.

Would I be better off burning it again - I still have the ISO I downloaded? Or have I done something to my PC that will stop it from working ever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That's somewhat complicated! If you've nothing you won't miss on that Ubuntu install, it would be easiest to delete all Linux partitions (most likely a root and swap, possibly a separate home one also) and go again.

If you have a decent Internet connection, download 8.04.1 as it has updates consolidated a lot of updates since the 8.04 release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

ethernet wrote: »
    That's somewhat complicated! If you've nothing you won't miss on that Ubuntu install, it would be easiest to delete all Linux partitions (most likely a root and swap, possibly a separate home one also) and go again.

If you have a decent Internet connection, download 8.04.1 as it has updates consolidated a lot of updates since the 8.04 release.

That's the problem though, as far as I can see, nothing was installed ,there's no Linux partition visible anyway. Everything appears to be as it was before I started installing Ubuntu yesterday. My disk still only has 2 partitions on it (the original C: where everything is, and the HP restore partition on D). So, as far as I can tell, nothing has been installed? Win XP still "functions"

In that case, so it would seem. Nothing to lose by trying to install again. Second time lucky (hopefully) :)

Yeah nothing doing. Sixth and seventh time unlucky :) Still getting that "user not known to the underlying module" message

Having my doubts about that CD!

Have you tried using the alternative Ubuntu image that runs in text-mode? Can solve (or get around) some niggles like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Sounds like a bad CD alright.

I tried the alternative install aswell before finally checking my computer and finding that it's a 64-bit AMD processor, so I need the AMD installer, not the x86 installer. Dl'd and burned it last night, and gonna try it again tonight. I just had no idea there was a separate installer for this type of processor (or indeed that my machine had this processor).

Fingers crossed!

Advertisement