Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemians Player Scores in Romania Thrashing

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Thats the best post i've read today. CHD you are an embarressement to yourself and your country if you are Irish.

More so than bitter little EL fans who will back Rangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

shane86 wrote: »
    More so than bitter little EL fans who will back Rangers?

much as i despise them, at least they can join the dots. they know they are offending folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

CHD wrote: »
    Pretty stupid making a thread to say how a LOI player scored a international goal and then say it proves that LOI players are good enough for Internationals.

:confused: He has played over thirty times for his country and is still a young player. He played in a WC qualified and scored a goal. That's an international match. He plays in the eircom League. It shows that players in the eLOI can be good enough to play international football (- for a side who beat Romania 3-0 away, I doubt our Boys in Green would manage that). What's so difficult to understand?

I've seen him play a good couple of times now for Bohs, and I can assure you there are better players in our team and in the league than him. However I'm sure he'll improve and adapt to the league, but there are other players of similar quality, especially at the bigger clubs. I guarantee you that if Brian Murhpy, the Bohs goalkeeper, moved to Reading/Rochdale/Barnet/Any English club, he'd be in the Irish set-up or the next set of qualifiers. Ex Irish international Gareth Farrelly moved back here and played with Bohs and Cork, and wasn't good enough. He was only in his late 20s. Colin Healy , another player with Irish international caps, is playing at Cork and wouldn't be considered a class above others in the league by any means.

Just wondering, when do you consider a player good enough for an international call-up? When they move to some minnow side in England where the standard is often no better?

The sad thing about the Kalonas story is that a foreign international can move to the eLOI and get his international call-up, yet players good enough for an Irish call-up that are playing in their home league of the eLOI can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Publin wrote: »
    :
    The sad thing about the Kalonas story is that a foreign international can move to the eLOI and get his international call-up, yet players good enough for an Irish call-up that are playing in their home league of the eLOI can't.

Nail on head. I bet they arent on the Baltic equivalent of boards giving out about the standard in the LoI.

Are their any psychologists on who can explain this self loathing about the LoI from so called Irish football fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

In fairness we have a large contingent of players playing in arguably Europes biggest league. Lithuania do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

shane86 wrote: »
    In fairness we have a large contingent of players playing in arguably Europes biggest league. Lithuania do not.

And how many of them get their game for any of the big sides? 1 - Robbie Keane.

Most of them play for lower Premiership teams or Championship sides. Anyway all of that is irrelevant really. If you're good enough, you should be called up. It shouldn't matter where you ply your trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If you're good enough, you should be called up. It shouldn't matter where you ply your trade.

Exactly. Do people not honestly believe that there is better players in the LOI then the likes of Miller, Gibson and the likes? Course there is.

Brian Murphy is a class keeper, and there is 4 or 5 in that league that are worthy of a callup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Trilla wrote: »
    Exactly. Do people not honestly believe that there is better players in the LOI then the likes of Miller, Gibson and the likes? Course there is.

Brian Murphy is a class keeper, and there is 4 or 5 in that league that are worthy of a callup

TBH, I wouldn't go that far yet.

Brian Murphy should defo be in that squad though. Amazing that he isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Currently I think Brian Murphy is the only Irish player deserving of a call up, especially with the lack of backup for Given, other than that I think Mooney will be and deserves his chance now that he has moved.

Great goal by Kalonas and he got an assist for the second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

SectionF wrote: »
    Is there anything more tragically perverse than an Irish Chelsea fan?

He may have morphed into a City fan in the next two seasons, so hold your fire. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bohsman wrote: »
    I think Mooney will be and deserves his chance now that he has moved.

Has he got any appearances yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Keith Fahey is a better player than Liam Miller. As soon as Fahey goes to England, he'll be in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

monkey9 wrote: »
    Keith Fahey is a better player than Liam Miller. As soon as Fahey goes to England, he'll be in the squad

Totally agreed. Fahey was v.good against Linfield there last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Trilla wrote: »
    Has he got any appearances yet?
    He came on as a sub in the League Cup.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Ditto for Quigley. It'll be interesting to see if Pats can hold onto both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

From what I've seen of kalonas he looks a very good player and it was no surprise for me to hear he had scored and set up another. Of course it was a surprise to hear Lithuania beat Romania 3-0 away even with Romania missing two of their top men but still.

In England you have the problem of foreign players being cheaper to buy and pay the wages for than a similar standard English player and thus the English player doesn't get his game and it's believed this is to the detriment of their football team.

Irish LOI players aren't getting their game with the International team anyway so there's no reason why clubs shouldn't be looking at quality foreign players such as Kalonas to improve the league.

Infact it's one way they'll be able to maintain or improve quality while significantly lowering costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Eircom league could become a competitive feeder league for UK. Norweigan clubs have been bringing in young africans etc to their clubs and seeling them on for years. Romania is a very poor country and young talent could be sourced there and elsewhere cheaply. Quality will raise standard of league and bring money to the clubs in league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Currently I think Brian Murphy is the only Irish player deserving of a call up, especially with the lack of backup for Given, other than that I think Mooney will be and deserves his chance now that he has moved.
    Agree with your point about Murphy but I don't think Mooney will be a success- great finisher but not much else. Mark Quigley is a better player than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Thats exactly why he should get a chance, Keane certainly isnt a goal poacher and Im not convinced that Kevin Doyle is either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hilarious that people are criticising how noteworthy this is. Meanwhile, if Barnsley defeat Liverpool or Chelsea thats amazing news of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Thats exactly why he should get a chance, Keane certainly isnt a goal poacher and Im not convinced that Kevin Doyle is either
    But his all round game is no where near there level. Maybe it will improve with better coaching at Reading but I think he will struggle against defenders at the level he will be playing at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'll be letting them know on the Celtic forums that a Bohs player scored against Romania. ;)

Why would fans of a British club like Celtic be interested in Irish football?

Although in saying that many Irish fools follow British clubs like Celtic. ;)

Celtic are the pride of Britain for being the first British side to win the European Cup. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Why would fans of a British club like Celtic be interested in Irish football?

Although in saying that many Irish fools follow British clubs like Celtic. ;)

Celtic are the pride of Britain for being the first British side to win the European Cup. :cool:

If you support a British club now you're a fool, shut up. I support Liverpool and Bray Wanderers, so am I half a fool. Stop living in the past.

I also read in another post on this thread your a Loyalist if you support an English team, some people need to get a grip.

If anybody replies to my post I bet they will ask me do I go to Bray matches, so I will answer this now, I go to most home mathes and Ive been to all cup finals, first one St. Francis many moons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Shels a few years back did very well in europe.This year Pats are doing well. Can't see how its changed.
    It has. This is a plot that I put together with data from this site, showing the UEFA coefficient scored by League of Ireland clubs in Europe for each of the last 15 years (the data for 2009 is provisional):
    LOIUEFARanking.jpg
    The red line represents the 5-year average of the coefficients, which is what UEFA uses to rank leagues. Notice that 5 of the top 6 coefficients have been scored in the last 5 years.
    ...LOI could do alot better if it was run better.
    Pretty rich coming from a Chelsea fan; they're hardly an example of how a club should be run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

djpbarry wrote: »
    Pretty rich coming from a Chelsea fan; they're hardly an example of how a club should be run.

Are Chelsea still classed as a football club at all? Do they still have those UVF boys supporting them, Combat 18 I think they were called?

The truth about British football clubs is that many of them are struggling big time and are in danger of doing a Shelbourne including West Ham, Tottenham, Everton and Newcastle.

Advertisement