Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating oil smell in house

Options
  • 07-09-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I got my boiler serviced and it needed a new pump. The pump was installed and that evening when I came back to the house, there was a smell of heating oil in the hall and in the living room. Is this something to do with the new pump allowing oil thru to the system by mistake? Its a Grant boiler, about 15months old. Im a bit concerned that it could be a leak somewhere, because if oil gets into the foundations, its bad news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

eddie73 wrote: »
    I got my boiler serviced and it needed a new pump. The pump was installed and that evening when I came back to the house, there was a smell of heating oil in the hall and in the living room. Is this something to do with the new pump allowing oil thru to the system by mistake? Its a Grant boiler, about 15months old. Im a bit concerned that it could be a leak somewhere, because if oil gets into the foundations, its bad news.

I am assuming that it was the oil pump that was replaced. Either the guy spilt a lot of oil when he was doing the job, or there is a leak. Unless, it is the smell of burnt oil or a badly set up burner. Is it smoking ?
    If the boiler was running well before the service, why did it need an oil pump ? Was it cutting out ?
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Thanks Jim for your answer. The pump failed because there was dirt in it, I got my tank vandalised and dirt or something like that was put into it.

Anyway, there was oil spilled outside, but not inside the house. the living room smells like an engine room. nowhere else smells at all, bar the hallway, and thats onlay a slight smell. Could it be a coincidence that the smell started at the same time as the new pump was put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Maybe its time to get this guy back. Is it a room sealed boiler (in the utility) and would the utility be close to the sitting room? or is it outside in a boiler house. It is all a bit too coincedental that it could be a sep leak. Oil has a habit of smelling, even a small spill, all over the place. Happened in our office where it leaked because it had to be bled and the smell was in all three offices for a day or two. The guy who did it let oil spill all over the room where it is sited.

As far as I am aware it is water that is pumped into the radiators - depending on the system you have and by the sounds of it, with a Grant boiler, that is more than likely what you have. If you don't get any satisfaction with your plumber, maybe you should ring Grants in Birr Co. Offaly and they would enlighten you.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Where is the boiler in relation to the sitting room ? Check around the burner for wet patches of oil. If there is a cover on the burner, remove it and try to see if there is an oil leak anywhere. Where is the pipe running in from the tank. Does it run under the floor on its way to the boiler ? Could it have been disturbed when the tank was being cleaned. Could there be a leaking joint under the floor.
    You really have to start at the tank and check every bit of pipe right in to the burner. Then check all around the boiler and burner.
    Jim.

Advertisement