Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheesecake recipe

• 07-09-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi everyone, just wondering does anyone have a recipe to make the irish "cheesecake", you know the spongey one with jam and icing? kindof like a bakewell tart idea except theres no almond. have googled but no luck!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I have no idea what you're talking about. Got a pic ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I know the ones, but i wouldn't know a recipe. Should be easy to bluff up though

Shortcrust pastry
    Loads of red jam
    Madeira type sponge
    Thick icing made w/ icing sugar and little else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Tree wrote: »
    I know the ones, but i wouldn't know a recipe. Should be easy to bluff up though

Shortcrust pastry
    Loads of red jam
    Madeira type sponge
    Thick icing made w/ icing sugar and little else

Wait... that's absolutely nothing like cheesecake... OP you lied to us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

lol i know thats why i put it in inverted commas!! :D but they do call it cheesecake around our part, even though its all spongey! tree thanks for that idea, it sounds right but i'm not too sure whether you'd have to blind bake the base etc first or what would you do? time to experiment i guess! thanks again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I was going mad all morning trying to think of what you're talking about and it only dawned on me a few minutes ago. You're right, they are called cheesecakes, even though they're nothing like actual cheesecake. My mother made something similar over the weekend, but instead of jam she used apples. She baked some pastry blind for 15-20 minutes before adding the apple and sponge. I don't have recipes but if you google shortcrust pastry and basic sponge you'll find plenty of recipes, then for the icing just use icing sugar and a drop of water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been making that for years and never knew what it was called!

Looking through an old Easy food magazine I brought to work with me this morning, I found this recipe for Bakewell Tarts, makes 12:

1 packet shortcrust pastry, thawed (or just make your own)
    3tbsp raspberry jam
    75g margarine
    75g caster sugar
    few drops almond essence
    2 eggs
    25g plain flour
    100g almonds
    25g semolina
    2 cups glace icing
    6 glace cherries, halved, to garnish

1 preheat oven to 190C/gas mark 5 and line 12 hole bun tin.
    2 Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 3 or 4mm. Cut out circles in the pastry with a cookie cutter and line the bun trays.
    3 Spread each pastry base with a dollop of jam.
    4 For the filling, beat margarine, sugar and almond essence until light and fluffy. Add eggs and flour and beat until mixture forms a creamy batter.
    5 Gently fold in the almonds and semolina and combine well. Spoon equal amounts of batter into each pastry base.
    6 Bake for around 30 minutes until the filling is firm and golden or a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
    7 Using a spatula of a knife, spread the icing onto the tartlets and garnish each with a glace cherry halve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

hi Pigletlover, your very good for posting up the recipe, thanks a mil! will try that out this weekend :D

zenzen

Let me know how it goes :)

Advertisement