Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Home Satellite System €80 from Thursday 11 September.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

slemons wrote: »
    Thanks
    I suppose they could but i dont know if
    1 - sky allow them to keep the dish/sky box
    2 - the unsubscribed box/dish will pick up fta channels

Im asking here to find out:
    Anyone know?
    Thanks

If its over a year old, its yours to keep.
    The unsub box will pick up all the fta channels as mentioned before but no irish ones. sky box is a bit of a pain for fta channels tho but youcan put a fta box there instead off the same dish and leads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

whats te chanell selection like . ie movies and sport im interested in getting one of these ... cheers guys redfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

search the forums or indeed just read through page 1 and 2 of this thread and you will find your answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

last question so guys.
    What time do they open the doors to go on sale?
    Is it be there at 8, and queue for an hour?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

TheDriver wrote: »
    Oh grow up and stop calling names. One look over at the sat forum and you will see all the posts from people ("half wits" according to you) who buy this and have trouble putting it up or just don't bother because they realise its not like an aerial but rather a very exact science.
    Its only a bargain if you will actually use it.

I must have hit a sore spot with Driver--you probably spent days trying to set up the Lidl system before you realised that you just couldnt do it....lol
    And as for "exact science" I think it is time you grew up dude...what a joke!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

slemons wrote: »
    I have two questions?
    How much does this thing cost? and give it to me... ;)

Na seriously, what time would you need to be at lidl to get one of these bad boys?
    The old folks have the most expensive sky package known to man and never watch any of them.
    Im actually getting sick thinking about all the money they've wasted :o

I dont think you need to be there at 8am, as they always seem to have a few left even the day after the offer in most of the stores in my area...good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Near90fm

i think this is a great starter kit. I have a little place in the country, and bought one of these earlier this year. I have the dish mounted to a tree!!,and have had no problems. even with all that crap weather last week, it;s still standing. I have enough channels to keep the family happy, and for the sake of €80, you can't go wrong. the advice from some of the lads on this forum has been spot-on, to be fair. mind you, it took me about 8 hours to get a signal and keep it, but it kept me occupied!, and I learned from the experience!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

.... I have the dish mounted to a tree!!,and have had no problems. even with all that crap weather last week, it;s still standing. I have enough channels to keep the family happy, and for the sake of €80, you can't go wrong.....

Good for you Near90fm. I like your can do, make do, homebrew attitude! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I got one last week and I have several trips up and down the ladder doing adjustments to it and still no good. It seems to be ok if you want 100's of German channels but I can't seem to be able to tune it in to the satellite that sends the signal for BBC, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

finbarrk wrote: »
    I got one last week and I have several trips up and down the ladder doing adjustments to it and still no good. It seems to be ok if you want 100's of German channels but I can't seem to be able to tune it in to the satellite that sends the signal for BBC, etc.
    It's quite likely you are aimed at the wrong Astra satellite - it is easy to do - it seems OK, the frequencies are the same or similar, and you think you have found it so easily - it is easier to find Astra 1 than 2 - but you will see all the German stations plus maybe CNN and so on but no sign of "our" ones.

So - try aiming it a bit to the left and a bit down - it IS scary to go away from such a great signal but trust me - more to the East and a bit lower on the horizon - (Astra2 and Hotbird are at 28.2 degrees, whereas you are most likely aimed at Astra 1 at 19 degrees.). On Sky boxes there's a satellite ID on the signal test page - shows Network ID = 0002 when it's on Astra 2 satellites (and 0001 when on Astra 1) - I don't know what it's called on the LIDL box but I presume there is some similar test page.
    Let us know how you get on.
    db.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    It's quite likely you are aimed at the wrong Astra satellite - it is easy to do - it seems OK, the frequencies are the same or similar, and you think you have found it so easily - it is easier to find Astra 1 than 2 - but you will see all the German stations plus maybe CNN and so on but no sign of "our" ones.

So - try aiming it a bit to the left and a bit down - it IS scary to go away from such a great signal but trust me - more to the East and a bit lower on the horizon - (Astra2 and Hotbird are at 28.2 degrees, whereas you are most likely aimed at Astra 1 at 19 degrees.). On Sky boxes there's a satellite ID on the signal test page - shows Network ID = 0002 when it's on Astra 2 satellites (and 0001 when on Astra 1) - I don't know what it's called on the LIDL box but I presume there is some similar test page.
    db.

You just have a signal strength bar onscreen and the lcd shows it in digit form. Great kit and easy to set up when you take note of dowtchaboy's advise.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

hotbirds on 13east not 28east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

greatgoal wrote: »
    hotbirds on 13east not 28east

I'd imagine he meant Eurobird.

Have a look in the Satellite forum, there's a sticky on the Lidl system which gives excellent advice on how to set it up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982781

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'd imagine he meant Eurobird.

Have a look in the Satellite forum, there's a sticky on the Lidl system which gives excellent advice on how to set it up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982781
    Yeah - my bad - was thinking Eutelsat and from the old days when we used to freeze our tits off running in and out twiddling the dish between 19 deg and 13 deg (with 16deg signals coming up just to confuse us...) and put Hotbird instead of Eurobird.

I don't really understand why folks with Sky boxes are buying LIDL or any FTA systems - just stop subscribing to Sky, pull out the card, power it off and on again, and you have BBC ITV CH4 E4 More4 - wait for a Freesat box if you want them all with a decent EPG. If you really must get a new box (and there are freebie Sky boxes all the time at the dump), well just connect the box to the existing Sky dish and LNB - should work fine. db.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

dowtchaboy wrote: »

db.

I have got the BBC satelite now, thanks for the assistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement