Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rubber ball toys

Options
  • 07-09-2008 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Although this is an american product the principle still remains the ie the tongue can get caught

http://thechaistory.blogspot.com/200...hai-story.html

These balls are available in many pet stores around the country and people need to be careful when purchasing toys for their dogs. It is a well known problem that a vacuum can be created inside toys with a single hole. This can happen when a dog puts his tongue through the hole into the toy. This is the reason Kong toys have two holes on each end so this doesn’t happen.

When purchasing toys check for durability and toys should only be given under supervision especially the first few times the dog plays with it.

Purchasing High Quality toys such as the likes of Kong or Premier toys is a far safer option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Good post. We only recently found out about this, and the ball toy in question has been put away until such time as I get my drill back and can put extra holes in it to prevent the vacuum-effect. I've heard of at least one pet shop down this way who, after being told of the potential risk, removed all such toys from their shelves!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

The same thing can happen with a Kong when the smaller hole at the top gets blocked by a bit of dried food. Please be careful if you stuff them, and start with a bit of broken biscuit, then their food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

I'd usually put a large biscuit half way in. My Queensland Healer and black lab mix would bite off the one half that stuck out leaving the other half inside. She was smart enough to realize that if she tossed it on the air a certain way and let it hit the floor, the rest would pop out of the hole.

I had to start using peanut butter after she figured that out, otherwise her fun with the Kong would last about 10 seconds. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Anything that will help stop creating the vacuum effect inside a kong will help.

My Papillon figured out the same as your dog did. If he picked it up by the smaller side and dropped it from a height, everything spilled out :D

Dogs... gotta love em :D

Advertisement