Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England chant

• 07-09-2008 1:04pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was reading in the Times today that England fans have an issue with Setanta TV and were singing "No surrender to the IRA".

Whats that all about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well seeing as Setanta is an Irish company then it's no exactly cryptic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

well they are an irish company and its a subscription channell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well seeing as Setanta is an Irish company then it's no exactly cryptic....

I get the meaning of the chant but why are they having a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kearnsr wrote: »
    I get the meaning of the chant but why are they having a go?

Cause the England games can't be shown on terrestrial tv over there as Setanta have bought the right. it's been all over the news for the past week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ignorant prejudice in the 21st Century? NEVVVERRRRR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

no, I think the point is that they used to sing about the IRA now its about setanta, I think :confused:

The chances were coming, the goals weren’t, and midway through the first half the England fans were so disengaged that they started chanting their dislike for Setanta TV. Bizarre, but a welcome alternative to “No surrender to the IRA”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article4692946.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jaykay74 wrote: »
    no, I think the point is that they used to sing about the IRA now its about setanta, I think :confused:

The chances were coming, the goals weren’t, and midway through the first half the England fans were so disengaged that they started chanting their dislike for Setanta TV. Bizarre, but a welcome alternative to “No surrender to the IRA”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article4692946.ece
    Reads to me like they had been singing No Surrender earlier in the game. I've no problem with that chant in general but nothing to do with football and it's the anti-Irish that sing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Yup, thats what he is saying, U think people reply to questions on here without reading the question:eek::D

As for the No surrender chants, England are supported by a rather large Sun reading scum element,
    (im allowed say that, im half English!, Im also allowed say "Thick Paddies", its great being a mongrel:D)
    People like this, just got there best away result in europe and all they can sing about is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yj-r0LXICY&feature=related

not a nice bunch of people all things considered!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Cause the England games can't be shown on terrestrial tv over there as Setanta have bought the right. it's been all over the news for the past week.

I haven't been following the story so maybe I'm missing something, but isn't there a rule that internationals have to be shown on terrestial tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I haven't been following the story so maybe I'm missing something, but isn't there a rule that internationals have to be shown on terrestial tv?

In Ireland - yes. England - no

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

obviously bitter that they have a **** national team with players that couldn't give a toss about the jersey. Let them at it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Wait until the FA cup starts, they'll be royally pissed then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

At least it's better than singing 'God save the Queen' as a football chant. The Numb nuts can't think of anything better?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Oh lucky us! We get to watch there overated excuse for a ''world class'' team.

Ireland > Engerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Setanta have the rights to all the away England matches afaik and highlights weren't shown on any terrestrial stations because Setanta said neither BBC or ITV made good enough offers for them.

As for the chants, I watched the game and I didn't hear anything being sang with the regards the IRA only the chant ''We hate Setanta''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

flanzer wrote: »
    At least it's better than singing 'God save the Queen' as a football chant. The Numb nuts can't think of anything better?!

Oh the irony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Has there ever been a demand in England (or Scotland, Wales, NI) to put their qualifying games on the EU 'reserved events list', much like the Irish Government did with our games, forcing them to be on terrestial tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Setanta have the rights to all the away England matches afaik and highlights weren't shown on any terrestrial stations because Setanta said neither BBC or ITV made good enough offers for them.

From what i gather one of them didn't even make a bid for the games (probably ITV)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

correct me if im wrong but it thought..... setanta yes, was set up by irish, BUT has now been sold to some british company/people ?

anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

afaik its still the same two irish guys running it but there has been large offers put in for them by a few companies such as ESPN and i would expect them to sell up soon enough...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setanta_Sports

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

CHD wrote: »
    Oh lucky us! We get to watch there overated excuse for a ''world class'' team.

Ireland > Engerland
    I <B Irish Chelsea fans

CiaranC wrote: »
    I <B Irish Chelsea fans
    good for you!!

No good for you! Supporting Chelsea and slagging off England. Nice.

Do you support Rangers and Linfield too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2L1OXdZ0I&feature=related

Yeah cause supporting a team in England means i have to like England.

Do you have nothing better to do.

heres a video for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OH0wlkfbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

You said it....

Of all English sides to follow, you picked the most virulently anti-Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Now now lads lets be nice!

kearnsr wrote: »
    Was reading in the Times today that England fans have an issue with Setanta TV and were singing "No surrender to the IRA".

Whats that all about?

I really wonder about the lack of football culture on here sometimes.

How could you not be aware that Engerland fans hate us and sing songs to that effect? :confused:

Well.....yeah. Most Irish football fans are gob****es. Id take the English fans over any of yous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I support an English team aswell. But should i support the "Free Lawyons"? Im happy to see United players score, but i despise the whole setup they have at the FA. In particular their support who think its a good time to play the tune to "The Great Escape" while 3-0 up against Estonia. "Im England till i die" is another one that baffles me, if you didnt choose to be English then why are you bigging yourself up? Then after Sven the nation DEMANDS an English manager, but they are all **** so they fail to qualify and the FA is blamed.

Then there is the hype train, best example is Amir Kahn this weekend, all week long on Sky was boxing pro's proclaiming he will be the worlds best. Then he got dropped in half a minute by a Colombian and now he is a national embarrassment?

I read that Lithuanian Bohs player thread, my initial thought was "Fair play to him." I read on to see, lets face it, a bit of a sly comment from CHD, and everyone complained about his attitude. But that exact thing is happening here.

I was a season ticket holder at Bray Wanderers along with my dad from ages 6 to 11, and i always supported Manchester United aswell. We were then very badly treated at a home game and decided to never go again. So thats my case, but i shouldnt need one. As much as some people on here have a negative view on the LOI, some of the fans have a real eliteist opinion of themselves. Thats SOME not all.

• Advertisement

Well.....yeah. Most Irish football fans are gob****es. Id take the English fans of any of yous.

Good for you. Any chance you would go the whole hog and emigrate?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I support an English team aswell. But should i support the "Free Lawyons"? Im happy to see United players score, but i despise the whole setup they have at the FA. In particular their support who think its a good time to play the tune to "The Great Escape" while 3-0 up against Estonia. "Im England till i die" is another one that baffles me, if you didnt choose to be English then why are you bigging yourself up? Then after Sven the nation DEMANDS an English manager, but they are all **** so they fail to qualify and the FA is blamed.

Then there is the hype train, best example is Amir Kahn this weekend, all week long on Sky was boxing pro's proclaiming he will be the worlds best. Then he got dropped in half a minute by a Colombian and now he is a national embarrassment?

I read that Lithuanian Bohs player thread, my initial thought was "Fair play to him." I read on to see, lets face it, a bit of a sly comment from CHD, and everyone complained about his attitude. But that exact thing is happening here.

I was a season ticket holder at Bray Wanderers along with my dad from ages 6 to 11, and i always supported Manchester United aswell. We were then very badly treated at a home game and decided to never go again. So thats my case, but i shouldnt need one. As much as some people on here have a negative view on the LOI, some of the fans have a real eliteist opinion of themselves. Thats SOME not all.
    I was a season ticket holder at Bray aswell.

Just thought i'd tell you that.

No thanks, It would be too hard to get back to see the football every week. Better to have our Chelsea/Rangers/Linfield fan friend there move nearer to 'his' club.

I'd say they are gutted that you have packed it in. Just gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So clearly you had an experience which turned you away from the LOI similar to myself.

Since when do i support Linfield and Rangers?

Your as bad as the English people and there chants

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    So clearly you had an experience which turned you away from the LOI similar to myself.
    Well as you know yourself the Carlisle wasn't the best place for football!

I'd say they are gutted that you have packed it in. Just gutted.
    Don't think so.

Could be though, they love there money.

Since when do i support Linfield and Rangers?

Your as bad as the English people and there chants

What, like the English people who make up the fans of 'your' club? Do you dislike English Chelsea fans too?

So many Irish fans are like this. Total contradictions and clowns of the highest order. God help the rest of us.

What, like the English people who make up the fans of 'your' club? Do you dislike English Chelsea fans too?

So many Irish fans are like this. Total contradictions and clowns of the highest order. God help the rest of us.

Jesus lads get a room. the last mention of Setanta was a page ago. If you want to do the whole LoI v EPL thing again start a thread for it ;)

Jesus lads get a room. the last mention of Setanta was a page ago. If you want to do the whole LoI v EPL thing again start a thread for it ;)

This is nothing to do with Irish versus foreign football.

It is an Irish fan of the most English of clubs having a go at English fans. His confusion is fair game for comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Didnt take too long before someone brought Rangers into it eh?

Typical of this board lately TBH.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Didnt take too long before someone brought Rangers into it eh?

Typical of this board lately TBH.

Stop being so precious. Chelsea fans allegences and friendship with Rangers is well known.

Stop being so precious. Chelsea fans allegences and friendship with Rangers is well known.
    Grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Meh! I suppose that depends if your talking to someone who gives a **** about any other club than their own or not really doesnt it?

Anyway, slag the whole Rangers/Chelsea/Linfield thing all you wish.. at the end of the day this thread seems to be going no where as no one is quite sure what the hell they were chanting in the first place!

This is nothing to do with Irish versus foreign football.

It is an Irish fan of the most English of clubs having a go at English fans. His confusion is fair game for comment

Ya but this argument is running over 2 threads at once. wtf is the point in that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Setanta have the matches legally tied up, it's in the Setanta Clause. ;)

* May not be great post but at least it's civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Do you have nothing better to do.

heres a video for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OH0wlkfbc

CHD, no interest in this thread anymore BUT if your Irish I think you should know
    Chelski REALLY REALLY dont like you

My dad was on the books at Chelski (he is English btw) and trust me that club, THEIR fans Dont like you at all and would kick your head in for the fun of it if you walked into one of their hangouts on the wrong night

Most of the Anti Irish stuff over the years out of london was/is Chelski & West Ham

Do what you will with this info, reply if you want i prob wont be back, the childish threads are to be ignored!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

In before the lock™.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Lads, lets be honest.
    I can't blame the English fans on this.
    It's all a big mistake really.

They're not being anti-Irish, or anti-PPV.
    They just don't want to run the risk of having to watch Pat Dolan as an "expert" panelist!:p

_40394169_patdolan203.jpg

Grow up

That doesn't even make sense. Are you denying the existance of the Blues Brothers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement