Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England chant

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

That doesn't even make sense. Are you denying the existance of the Blues Brothers?
    you need to grow up. That make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

CHD wrote: »
    you need to grow up. That make sense?

yeah, I'm the one thats coming across as the immature kid.

Stick to Bebo, more your level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That doesn't even make sense. Are you denying the existance of the Blues Brothers?

Over the two threads, still no straight answer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

OP can you post a link to the article please,, the only think I heard was the Setanta chant.Would be handy if you posted a link.

England away matches tend to attract completely different supporters to England home matches and are million miles apart from the English club supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=352017

here's a full discussion on the chanting from the 'england fans' of a different forum. Some reasonable opinions and some not so.

It went from 'We hate Setanta Sports' to ' No surrender, no surrender to the IRA'.

That old chesnut the ' small but vocal minority' are getting the rap again. Amazing how often they keep popping up.

Wonder what Steve Mc Manamamamammm and Sir les look like in ballaclava's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Can we not just be done with it and have a LoI v EPL forum? :rolleyes:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=352017

here's a full discussion on the chanting from the 'england fans' of a different forum. Some reasonable opinions and some not so.

It went from 'We hate Setanta Sports' to ' No surrender, no surrender to the IRA'.

That old chesnut the ' small but vocal minority' are getting the rap again. Amazing how often they keep popping up.

Wonder what Steve Mc Manamamamammm and Sir les look like in ballaclava's?

The link to the newspaper report? that link is just the Sunderland messageboard, I can't see how the We Hate Setanta chant is anti Irish :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I CANNOT BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE STILL DISCUSSING THIS, ON THIS THREAD. SIMPLY BECAUSE IT WAS STARTED BY SOMEONE WHO MISREAD AN ARTICLE.

taken from the article in question:

The chances were coming, the goals weren’t, and midway through the first half the England fans were so disengaged that they started chanting their dislike for Setanta TV. Bizarre, but a welcome alternative to “No surrender to the IRA”.

NOTE: A WELCOME ALTERNATIVE.

thankyou, goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Tks for both links.

Englands away support is different to its home support, I feel sorry for the genuine England fans who want to watch there team away from home, from what I hear many only go to home games and skip away games. You also never get any of this crap when English clubs play abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

flanzer wrote: »
    At least it's better than singing 'God save the Queen' as a football chant. The Numb nuts can't think of anything better?!

It's as relevant as Fields of Athenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I don't see the big issue with being a Chelsea fan or a fan of any English team IMO. My brother fell in love with Chelsea because of Zola, I dare say he doesn't care about the Chelsea Headhunters.

Although I did find this comical
    http://www.chelseahooligans.com/MAIN.html

I clicked on the 'I don't like Chelsea' button :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Voltwad wrote: »
    I don't see the big issue with being a Chelsea fan or a fan of any English team IMO. My brother fell in love with Chelsea because of Zola, I dare say he doesn't care about the Chelsea Headhunters.

Although I did find this comical
    http://www.chelseahooligans.com/MAIN.html

I clicked on the 'I don't like Chelsea' button :)

that site made my eyes bleed.

we feature in the "muppets" section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

CHD wrote: »
    Since when do i support Linfield and Rangers?

Your as bad as the English people and there chants

sothis starts as shock horror that the english may fans might sing no surrender to the ira, which is apparantly anti irish (even though the vast majority of irish people would agree with the sentiment) and ends up with the above comment.

so to recap, the english are expected to love the Irish, but it is ok to say that someone is "as bad as the english".

Irony much?

how often does fields of athenry get "IRA IRA IRA" added in the chorus by a few mindless idiots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Shock horror, an english team that apparently has a small section of its fan base that doen't like the "Oirish"!!! WOW. It must be the only team in the whole of england like this surely?

Hillarious as well that Chelsea fans get abuse on this board for their clubs hooligan element having links with Rangers yet Rangers fans that come on here are sound as a pound!

So to recap, everyone here is seriously annoyed that England had the audacity to chant "no surrender to setanta", Chelsea apparently are completely 100% anti irish and Irish people have absolutely no right supporting them but any other english club or scotish clubs is fine.

Irish fans would never do anything of the sort would we? Sure the landsdown road crew would never boo an opposition player because he played for Rangers nor would they add the world Sinn Fein and IRA into the chorus of "Fields of Athenry" would they?

We would also never protest at an Ireland home game or have a huge media outcry blaming the Taoiseach for allowing an English TV station buy the rights to Ireland matches. Would Ireland fans do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I have no problem with England fans singing 'No surrender to the IRA',

They are no different from the many Irish fans I saw in Mainz wearing their 'F**K England' scarfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

iregk wrote: »
    Shock horror, an english team that apparently has a small section of its fan base that doen't like the "Oirish"!!! WOW. It must be the only team in the whole of england like this surely?

Hillarious as well that Chelsea fans get abuse on this board for their clubs hooligan element having links with Rangers yet Rangers fans that come on here are sound as a pound!

So to recap, everyone here is seriously annoyed that England had the audacity to chant "no surrender to setanta", Chelsea apparently are completely 100% anti irish and Irish people have absolutely no right supporting them but any other english club or scotish clubs is fine.
    Where are you getting this from? Who said supporting any other English or Scottish club is fine. People who support British club football and hate England are gob****es. Irish Chelsea fans are just a ludicrously extreme example of such cluelessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's as relevant as Fields of Athenry.

Tell me about it!

I think hearing it sang at the cricket world cup was one of the most surreal things I've ever heard!!!:confused:

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    Any pics?

No Hagar, you can't have one :D
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? Who said supporting any other English or Scottish club is fine. People who support British club football and hate England are gob****es. Irish Chelsea fans are just a ludicrously extreme example of such cluelessness.

I'm not sure why Chelsea are getting singled out here. I know they had the headhunters who were closely associated with the BNP (Or NF as i think it was back then) but if you go to a Chelsea match now there are all sorts of different nationalities there, including plenty of Irish.

TO be honest, a lot of Chelsea "regulars" these days are from Sloane Square and wouldn't know a football if it broke their Prada Sunglasses.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

are from Sloane Square

A christ, thats just giving them an excuse to bring up "Rangers" ;)

So to recap, just because I'm Irish and I support Chelsea I'm completely clueless? I think completely generalizing an entire section of people based on the football club they support is more clueless in my opinion.

So to recap, just because I'm Irish and I support Chelsea I'm completely clueless? I think completely generalizing an entire section of people based on the football club they support is more clueless in my opinion.

Have you never met any southampton fans? generalising about them is perfectly acceptable:D

I would say yes, its pretty clueless for an Irish person to elect to follow Chelsea given their fans traditional stance towards Irish people.

Have you some mitigating circumstance to prove me wrong? (I mean other than the fact that the English premiership has been sanitized by the media and they are all happy huggy family fun fans over there now. :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I would say yes, its pretty clueless for an Irish person to elect to follow Chelsea given their fans traditional stance towards Irish people.

Have you some mitigating circumstance to prove me wrong? (I mean other than the fact that the English premiership has been sanitized by the media and they are all happy huggy family fun fans over there now. :rolleyes:)

Chelsea aren't exactly my favourite team so I'm not really trying to stick up for them, but is this really a "Traditional" thing for their fans?

I've seen the photos taken about 20 years ago of some knuckle dragger in a Chelsea shirt up at the battle of the Boyne site, but is there anymore to this?

Chelsea aren't exactly my favourite team so I'm not really trying to stick up for them, but is this really a "Traditional" thing for their fans?

I've seen the photos taken about 20 years ago of some knuckle dragger in a Chelsea shirt up at the battle of the Boyne site, but is there anymore to this?
    A few photos from inside Stamford Bridge over the last decade:

http://www.chelseahooligans.com/BLUESBROTHERS.html

Some of those are over 20 years old. Its a bit like Millwall, the old firm have all grown up now and moved on, but a few lads like to try and resurrect history to make themselves feel hard.

I've been to Stamford Bridge many times (Quite a few times with my brother in law from Monaghan whos whole family are Chelsea supporters) and those photos do not represent Chelsea fans at all.

Sure, they've still got their nutters, but those photos really misrepresent them imho.

Fair enough, glad its changed for the better. Id still be skeptical of Irish following Chelsea, the history is still there.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, glad its changed for the better. Id still be skeptical of Irish following Chelsea, the history is still there.

to be fair, they were associated with Combat 18, a very nasty fascist group, so anyone non anglo saxon protestant could arguably say the same thing. TBH, why do you think the majority of young black London football fans support Arsenal.

Fortunately football and its fans have changed enormously now and I wouldn't hold anything shown on that site against the Club or its fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

elshambo wrote: »
    Yup, thats what he is saying, U think people reply to questions on here without reading the question:eek::D

As for the No surrender chants, England are supported by a rather large Sun reading scum element,
    (im allowed say that, im half English!, Im also allowed say "Thick Paddies", its great being a mongrel:D)
    People like this, just got there best away result in europe and all they can sing about is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yj-r0LXICY&feature=related

not a nice bunch of people all things considered!?

Some English fans are just ignorant, these songs pi$$ me off (this is speaking as an English man living in Ireland) yes they are scum - anyways surely they should change the song to be the CIRA as the IRA is now officially disbanded

WalkOn wrote: »
    Some English fans are just ignorant, these songs pi$$ me off (this is speaking as an English man living in Ireland) yes they are scum - anyways surely they should change the song to be the CIRA as the IRA is now officially disbanded

probably too clever for them tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not very nice at all.

TBH I'm not all that keen on the ape-like Irishman on the Fighting Irish scarf either.

anyways surely they should change the song to be the CIRA as the IRA is now officially disbanded

You mean the PIRA surely? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Unemployed people formerly known as the IRA
    Eirebear wrote: »
    You mean the PIRA surely? ;)

Probably not as funny as you think

Unemployed people formerly known as the IRA

Probably not as funny as you think

Probably not as smart as you think, i was merely pointing out the fact that the IRA disbanded in 1969, most english peoples issue with the "IRA" is due to the bombing campaigns of the 70's & 80's.

Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Probably not as smart as you think, i was merely pointing out the fact that the IRA disbanded in 1969, most english peoples issue with the "IRA" is due to the bombing campaigns of the 70's & 80's.

Go figure.
    Really wow etc blah

not what i meant
    not why i said it

Really wow etc blah

not what i meant
    not why i said it

Eh???

Look i dont really want to take this conversation even further off topic, but what the feck are you on about?

I wasnt trying to be funny in the original comment, therefore i explained myself to you.

Now please, kindly return the favour.

• Advertisement

Fortunately football and its fans have changed enormously now and I wouldn't hold anything shown on that site against the Club or its fans.

+1

When was the last time you were in Stamford Bridge just out of curiosity? Never? I go over a few times a season and only once did I ever see any trouble and that was a group of united fans throwing bottles at a pub window. Still that didn't last long before the police had them rounded up and into vans.

So lets get this straight. Me electing to follow Chelsea was a completely clueless decision made by a 7 year old boy. Do you honestly think I knew a thing about their as you put it "traditional stance" towards the Irish?

I suppose when I really became aware of the Ireland - England history 14 - 16 years old at a guess, and then spotted the union jack flying above the west stand on my next visit to the bridge I should have changed my mind?

Do me a favour before you even attempt to argue with a Chelsea fan about the hooligan elements of our club please go back through the threads. I've posted plenty of times measures the club and indeed the fans have done to stamp out hooliganism at Chelsea. Read those, go to the bridge for a match and then come back and constructively argue a point. Don't just post a web link to a group who are mostly all barred from the bridge anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Wow.
    I never knew Jenifer Lopez was a Rangers fan!!!

rangersbird1.jpeg

;)

go to the bridge for a match and then come back and constructively argue a point.

+1

When was the last time you were in Stamford Bridge just out of curiosity?
    What the **** would I be doing in Stamford Bridge? Im IRISH. :rolleyes:
    So lets get this straight. Me electing to follow Chelsea was a completely clueless decision made by a 7 year old boy. Do you honestly think I knew a thing about their as you put it "traditional stance" towards the Irish?
    Were you a deaf mute who grew up in an orphanage? Was there no-one to point out to you the nature of Chelsea, ESPECIALLY then, as a football club? More likely, everyone around you was as clueless as you are now.
    I suppose when I really became aware of the Ireland - England history 14 - 16 years old at a guess, and then spotted the union jack flying above the west stand on my next visit to the bridge I should have changed my mind?
    If youd "accidentally" started supporting Chelseas good mates Rangers and found out about them, would you have changed your mind there?
    Do me a favour before you even attempt to argue with a Chelsea fan about the hooligan elements of our club
    "Our", "we", "us". What a load of nonsense. You sound like a clown. Im sure real Chelsea fans must cringe with embarrassment for you going around London pretending you are Chelsea. Pffft.

If youd "accidentally" started supporting Chelseas good mates Rangers and found out about them, would you have changed your mind there?

Here we go again, for someone who doesnt give a **** about clubs outside the LOI you seem to have a real hatred for certain teams due to your percieved notions.

I take it its ok for people in Ireland to travel to Celtic games then, after all they are "Irish" arent they?

• Advertisement

I take it its ok for people in Ireland to travel to Celtic games then, after all they are "Irish" arent they?
    :rolleyes:

I hate Celtic, and I hate gob****es who think they are an Irish club. Wasnt there someone on here a while back who claimed Celtic were more Irish than Bohs?

Im tired of being attacked by the likes of iregk there just for pointing out that people who arbitrarily choose foreign clubs to support are misguided. No point in beating about the bush about it any more, call it like you see it I say.

:rolleyes:

I hate Celtic, and I hate gob****es who think they are an Irish club. Wasnt there someone on here a while back who claimed Celtic were more Irish than Bohs?
    Fair enough, i apologise for jumping to conclusions in that case.

I never saw that, but it wouldnt surprise me from certain people!
    Im tired of being attacked by the likes of iregk there just for pointing out that people who arbitrarily choose foreign clubs to support are misguided. No point in beating about the bush about it any more, call it like you see it I say.

I understand where your coming from, unfortunately its a problem that has been plaguing irish football for a good 40, 50 years now (possibly longer) for many different reasons. it aint gonna change quickly.

The recent Man Utd V Liverpool "Legends" match is the perfect example, irish clubs are now reliant on circuses like this to survive, unfortunately they dont have the foresight to see that it only makes matters worse.

The recent Man Utd V Liverpool "Legends" match is the perfect example, irish clubs are now reliant on circuses like this to survive, unfortunately they dont have the foresight to see that it only makes matters worse.
    Agreed, its all very depressing.

Unfortunately i cant see any way out of it.

And the same is slowly beggining to happen in Scotland.
    All i can hope for is that the freakshow that is the Premiership right now implodes on itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

just for pointing out that people who arbitrarily choose foreign clubs to support are misguided. No point in beating about the bush about it any more, call it like you see it I say.

im not misguided. and who are u to say i am exactly?

is it because u support an irish club? does that make u the man who calls the shots on who ppl should support? are you actually level 10 at football?

get over yourself. its a simple as that really

• Advertisement
Advertisement