Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England chant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jazzy wrote: »
    are you actually level 10 at football?
    I go up to 11.
    get over yourself. its a simple as that really
    Good counterpoints there, well argued. You sure told me. Ill never be mean to someone pretending to be a football fan again :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

CiaranC wrote: »
    I go up to 11.

Good counterpoints there, well argued. You sure told me. Ill never be mean to someone pretending to be a football fan again :p

didnt really answer my questions tho did ya? just went for the sarcastic reply. dont get me wrong, im all for sarcastic replies but i normally answer the questions posed first... gives me... wats that word.... credibility?

so, since u failed at answering last time ill give u another shot -
    Jazzy wrote:
    im not misguided. and who are u to say i am exactly?

is it because u support an irish club? does that make u the man who calls the shots on who ppl should support? are you actually level 10 at football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

What the **** would I be doing in Stamford Bridge? Im IRISH. :rolleyes:

Ah ok, so your Irish which means your not allowed into any football stadium outside of this country. Fair enough, you'll have to excuse me also for all those times I've been in Amsterdam, Milan, Paris etc...
    Were you a deaf mute who grew up in an orphanage? Was there no-one to point out to you the nature of Chelsea, ESPECIALLY then, as a football club? More likely, everyone around you was as clueless as you are now.

I suppose all the other 7 year olds around me at the time should have put down their copies of the examiner and indo and pointed out the reasons for not following Chelsea. I suppose I should have really followed United, Arsenal or Liverpool like the rest of them.
    If youd "accidentally" started supporting Chelseas good mates Rangers and found out about them, would you have changed your mind there?
    No and I wouldn't say the rather large Rangers following in this country would either.
    "Our", "we", "us". What a load of nonsense. You sound like a clown. Im sure real Chelsea fans must cringe with embarrassment for you going around London pretending you are Chelsea. Pffft.

Trust me the only one that sounds like a clown on this board is you. I'm going to assume that your late teens maybe about 20 at a push. Probably been to a pogues concert or two and are under the belief that you know all there is to know about the English - Irish troubles and hence hate the English for it. You probably have an Irish flag with 800 years written across it. People like me are clearly deluded and have no right going over there spending our hard earned cash on their clubs.

I on the other hand have moved on and like most see England as our closest neighbors and friends. So what constitutes pretending to be a fan? Not being from there? Do you think the same for say people from London supporting Man U or vice versa? How far do you localise it, you should only support a club from your own road?

Does it bother you that I'm also a Shamrock Rovers fan, a past 400 club member and a current fan club member? I'm assuming now I'm also a plastic Rovers fan due to the fact that I'm from Wicklow which obviously is not the county Rovers are from. How sad of me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

CiaranC the most angry person I've ever come across, internet or real life

It's like you have the rage virus from 28 days later or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Unearthly wrote: »

It's like you have the rage virus from 28 days later or something

its a deadly cocktail.

Add the words England, Football and Irish, stir thoroughly with a liberal amounts of LoI and it always ends in tears :D

iregk wrote: »
    Does it bother you that I'm also a Shamrock Rovers fan, a past 400 club member and a current fan club member?
    What fan club are you a member of? Sounds like bull**** to me.
    Ah ok, so your Irish which means your not allowed into any football stadium outside of this country.
    Theres dozens of stadia id like to visit that I havent yet. Stamford Bridge isnt one of them. If I want to go hang out with a load of mongos Old Trafford is closer. ;)
    I suppose all the other 7 year olds around me at the time
    So you did grow up in an orphanage? Was there honestly nobody to point out why supporting Chelsea was stupid?
    People like me are clearly deluded and have no right going over there spending our hard earned cash on their clubs.
    Got it in one, well done. I dont hate the English. Ive spoken to dozens who hate/pity you though, with your misguided "support" for their clubs. Btw, do you put on the accent when over there pretending to be Chelsea?
    Do you think the same for say people from London supporting Man U or vice versa?
    Yes I do. And I think youll find that clubs like Man U are despised in England for having a fanbase made up of clowns from London, Japanese schoolgirls and idiots from Ireland.
    Unearthly wrote:
    :confused: Do you live in a monastery or something? :)

Im out, I'll leave yis to being mocked by your countrymen and mocked by the people whose clubs you decided to support.. Have fun :D

hey CiaranC, u forgot to answer my questions there buddy.
    Jazzy wrote:
    im not misguided. and who are u to say i am exactly?

is it because u support an irish club? does that make u the man who calls the shots on who ppl should support? are you actually level 10 at football?

or can u actually answer without looking foolish?

hey CiaranC, u forgot to answer my questions there buddy.

:rolleyes:

Im a football supporter, expressing my opinion on other football supporters. This is not a new phenomenon.

Your questions dont even make any sense. Level 10 at football? What does that even mean?

No he can't. When I stop laughing at him I might get around to answering his questions. Then again, I'm growing tired of arguing with a child so I might leave it at that.

Leave him be I'm sure he is happy up there on his perch looking down on the rest of us following his sunday league side.

Leave him be I'm sure he is happy up there on his perch looking down on the rest of us following his sunday league side.
    Haha, one minute you are an existing "fan club member" (whatever that is) having paid thousands of euro into your own money into the club, the next you are deriding us as a Sunday league team.

You my friend, are a fantasist. No wonder its so easy for you to pretend you are Chelsea. Nice won guv'nor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

I hate Celtic, and I hate gob****es who think they are an Irish club. Wasnt there someone on here a while back who claimed Celtic were more Irish than Bohs?

Im tired of being attacked by the likes of iregk there just for pointing out that people who arbitrarily choose foreign clubs to support are misguided. No point in beating about the bush about it any more, call it like you see it I say.

Same here. Cannot beleive that people think Celtic are Irish :pac:. They are British, Scottish at best.

More ex rangers players have played for Celthick than Irish players.

In fairness the IQs of Celtic "supporters" in Ireland are quite low. They are not the most intelligent bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I dont really want to get involved in this one, but for me the thread was won with this little gem from Eirebear ;), well played sir
    Eirebear wrote: »
    I take it its ok for people in Ireland to travel to Celtic games then, after all they are "Irish" arent they?

If you think about this it just hits the nail oh so sweetly on the head

eddiehead wrote: »
    I dont really want to get involved in this one, but for me the thread was won with this little gem from Eirebear ;), well played sir

If you think about this it just hits the nail oh so sweetly on the head
    Except nobody agreed with him and he apologised for making that assumption. Irish Celtic fans are every bit as deluded as Irish Chelsea fans.

Haha, one minute you are an existing "fan club member" (whatever that is) having paid thousands of euro into your own money into the club, the next you are deriding us as a Sunday league team.

You my friend, are a fantasist. No wonder its so easy for you to pretend you are Chelsea. Nice won guv'nor.

I never said Shamrock Rovers were a sunday league team. Point out exactly where I said that. I'm assuming since you localize your support down to the road you grew up on I'm assuming you follow Cheery Orchard or something...

If you must know what a member is here try this link, although you've probably never seen it before: http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/members/

Im a football supporter, expressing my opinion on other football supporters. This is not a new phenomenon.

Your questions dont even make any sense. Level 10 at football? What does that even mean?

so genius, why am i misguided? its your opinion sure but it should have some logical reason to stop you from looking stupid.

maybe your misguided.... wat with supporting a foreign game and all. ah crap, did i just point out ur massive hypocrisy? sh1t, sorry dude... now u might look really stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Except nobody agreed with him and he apologised for making that assumption. Irish Celtic fans are every bit as deluded as Irish Chelsea fans.

There are Irish Chelsea "fans" :eek:.

Well I wish them luck against Croatia tomorrow evening and good luck to all Irish people supporting English football. Celtic fans will be glued to Iceland match to see their players get their first win under Burley.

I myself will be supporting Ireland against Montenegro.

If you must know what a member is here try this link, although you've probably never seen it before: http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/members/
    Im well aware what a member is thanks ;)

You still havent told me what fan club you are a member of? Ill give you a few minutes to go off an google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Good god, simple question that was sorted by the 8th post turns into "You're more Irish if you hate the brits thread".

Im well aware what a member is thanks ;)

You still havent told me what fan club you are a member of? Ill give you a few minutes to go off an google it.

no answer to me yet?

i think the danger i was talking about might be becoming a reality......

• Advertisement

so genius, why am i misguided? its your opinion sure but it should have some logical reason to stop you from looking stupid.
    Have you not read the thread at all? If you cant see why people who decide arbitrarily to elect to follow some team to which they have no connection whatsoever, in another city or country(!) are not the same as people from that city or area with historical and family ties to the club as fans, then I just cant help you. Its glaringly obvious to me and others.

Put your Arsenal City FC jersey on, fly over and ask a real supporter of the club, they'll be happy to explain it to you.
    maybe your misguided.... wat with supporting a foreign game and all. ah crap, did i just point out ur massive hypocrisy? sh1t, sorry dude... now u might look really stupid
    Maybe I am, maybe I am. Im from Dublin, maybe I should start following Cork for no reason and go make a fool of myself in front of their fans. Good idea chief.

Kold wrote: »
    Good god, simple question that was sorted by the 8th post turns into "You're more Irish if you hate the brits thread".
    Whoosh. Another misses the point. Nobody has anything against Brits. Id take a Rangers fan from Glasgow or a Linfield fan from Belfast or a Chelsea fan from London or an England fan from England over any of these so-called Irish 'fans'.

But he's right, Celtic fans are bashed for claiming they support an Irish team. The clubs questionable links to Irishness are discredited every time its brought
    up. So why should Chelseas even more questionable links to anti-Irishness be allowed to stand as your sole point of argument? It just seems like buttering your bread on both sides tbh

But he's right, Celtic fans are bashed for claiming they support an Irish team. The clubs questionable links to Irishness are discredited every time its brought
    up. So why should Chelseas even more questionable links to anti-Irishness be allowed to stand as your sole point of argument? It just seems like buttering your bread on both sides tbh
    Fratton Fred helpfully pointed out that anti-Irishness at Chelsea is a thing of the past, which I was happy to accept. People are just assuming that when an eL fan objects to Irish people following teams in England is anti-British. Its not and never has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Gareth37 wrote: »
    . Celtic fans will be glued to Iceland match to see their players get their first win under Burley.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Gareth37 wrote: »
    There are Irish Chelsea "fans" :eek:.

Well I wish them luck against Croatia tomorrow evening and good luck to all Irish people supporting English football. Celtic fans will be glued to Iceland match to see their players get their first win under Burley.

I myself will be supporting Ireland against Montenegro.
    What a stupid statement. A significant number of Scottish Celtic fans have no interest in the Scottish national team.

• Advertisement

What a stupid statement. A significant number of Scottish Celtic fans have no interest in the Scottish national team.

why would they when they can sit and watch grass grow instead :D

The irony....it's delicious...mmmmmmmm

If you cant see why people who decide arbitrarily to elect to follow some team to which they have no connection whatsoever, in another city or country(!)

and how are u to know that? is it all irish fans that you are saying this about? u do realise that Liverpool, Utd, Arsenal etc. are massive international teams with a world wide following. back in the 70's or something u might be right but unfortunately its 30 years since then and the world, ppl and the media have changed. just sounds like u are living in the past. most ppl on here are saying ur childish... i dont agree. ur acting more like a stubborn old man who wants things to go back to the way they were. tough titties dude, if u cant keep up then u might as well moan right?

CiaranC wrote:
    Maybe I am, maybe I am. Im from Dublin, maybe I should start following Cork for no reason and go make a fool of myself in front of their fans. Good idea chief.

its exactly what i was talking about on the LoI thread: attitude.
    yours is the attitude of wanting to lord it over all the rest of us paupers to make urself feel better. it seems like u feel u are a better person then us because u support an irish team so u ball up all ur obvious rage and the spurt it out on the keyboard and like a common bully u find the easiest targets to rag on for not being as good as you... at football supporting.
    as i said before, its quite simple - get over yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Eirebear wrote: »
    The irony....it's delicious...mmmmmmmm
    Ironi
    Im sure you know of some Eirbear??

and how are u to know that? is it all irish fans that you are saying this about? u do realise that Liverpool, Utd, Arsenal etc. are massive international teams with a world wide following. back in the 70's or something u might be right but unfortunately its 30 years since then and the world, ppl and the media have changed. just sounds like u are living in the past. most ppl on here are saying ur childish... i dont agree. ur acting more like a stubborn old man who wants things to go back to the way they were. tough titties dude, if u cant keep up then u might as well moan right?

its exactly what i was talking about on the LoI thread: attitude.
    yours is the attitude of wanting to lord it over all the rest of us paupers to make urself feel better. it seems like u feel u are a better person then us because u support an irish team so u ball up all ur obvious rage and the spurt it out on the keyboard and like a common bully u find the easiest targets to rag on for not being as good as you... at football supporting.
    as i said before, its quite simple - get over yourself
    Good man Jazzy, ill take all points and comments on board and consider them carefully. You can go back to watching the telly now.

• Advertisement

Thats another thing, Im from Carlow, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I was a Bohs fan you wouldnt have a problem with me, desite the fact that I have no reason to support a Dublin team. :confused: . I had this "argument" with another LOI supporter a few months back (Bohsman IIRC, nice guy), that i dont have a local team to support, so I have as many ties to a London club as I do to a Dublin club. My earliest memories of soccer are MOTD highlights on BBC 1, they didnt show an awful lot of Eircom league, so I took a liking to one of the evil English clubs and for this I apologise to those who are offended by it.

AKAIK in a couple of years time Carlow FC will be in the LOI Div1 and when they are, their crest will be right down there beside the Chelsea one in my sig. Actually, I'll be back here on Sunday to let you know how their U20's get on in their match against Waterford. Im making an effort to be a "Level 10" as Jazzy puts it, lol

Thats another thing, Im from Carlow, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I was a Bohs fan you wouldnt have a problem with me, desite the fact that I have no reason to support a Dublin team. :confused: . I had this "argument" with another LOI supporter a few months back (Bohsman IIRC, nice guy), that i dont have a local team to support, so I have as many ties to a London club as I do to a Dublin club. My earliest memories of soccer are MOTD highlights on BBC 1, they didnt show an awful lot of Eircom league, so I took a liking to one of the evil English clubs and for this I apologise to those who are offended by it.

AKAIK in a couple of years time Carlow FC will be in the LOI Div1 and when they are, their crest will be right down there beside the Chelsea one in my sig. Actually, I'll be back here on Sunday to let you know how their U20's get on in their match against Waterford. Im making an effort to be a "Level 10" as Jazzy puts it, lol
    Id have a problem with anyone who chose to support that shower :D

Point taken on the living in Carlow thing, and fair play on having an interest in local football.

Ironi
    Im sure you know of some Eirbear??

I know of plenty, there were more scots in the Republic end last time Scotland played Ireland at hampden than there was in the Scotland end.

In all honesty i find those people hilarious!

Good man Jazzy, ill take all points and comments on board and consider them carefully. You can go back to watching the telly now.

i love the smell of throwaway replies that dont address the point. smells like... victory

Id have a problem with anyone who chose to support that shower :D

Im sorry, I just cant take your opinion on the matter seriously, what I meant earlier (post #123) is that if you agree in principle that Chelsea are historically anti-Irish to the extent that Irish people should not support them, then surely you must agree that Celtic's Irish fanbase is completely justified due to their rich pro-Irish history? In principle, they are exactly the same, if anything, Celtics Irish connections are far more well-founded than Chelseas anti Irish connections(ie: a large proportion of Celtics fanbase compared to a very small minority of Chelsea's). My point is you cant agree with one and disagree with the other, personally I think they're both nonsense.

i love the smell of throwaway replies that dont address the point. smells like... victory
    Sorry, got tired of playground questions like "who are you to say that" and "are you a level ten" and then telling me I have a bad attitude for my answers. If you have any questions that actually make sense I'll be happy to address them. You dont really seem to grasp or understand football culture so its difficult to know what to say to you.

Im sorry, I just cant take your opinion on the matter seriously, what I meant earlier (post #123) is that if you agree in principle that Chelsea are historically anti-Irish to the extent that Irish people should not support them, then surely you must agree that Celtic's Irish fanbase is completely justified due to their rich pro-Irish history? In principle, they are exactly the same, if anything, Celtics Irish connections are far more well-founded than Chelseas anti Irish connections(ie: a large proportion of Celtics fanbase compared to a very small minority of Chelsea's). My point is you cant agree with one and disagree with the other.
    I was referring to bohs in the part you quoted previously.

Although I see the point you are making now, you are taking a single point I made and blowing it up. Ill try to clear it up for you. I dont think someone shouldnt support Chelsea solely due to their historical anti-Irishness (there are far more fundamental reasons that apply to everyone else as well), I was just making the point that following them is even more absurd than supporting the likes of Man Utd or Celtic. I was pointing it out an extreme example of Oirish barstoolers not understanding or having any connections with the clubs they latch onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Although I see the point you are making now, you are taking a single point I made and blowing it up. Ill try to clear it up for you. I dont think someone shouldnt support Chelsea solely due to their historical anti-Irishness (there are far more fundamental reasons), I was just making the point that following them is even more absurd than supporting the likes of Man Utd or Celtic. I was pointing it out an extreme example of Oirish barstoolers not understanding or having any connections with the clubs they latch onto.

he has got a point there kids, especially if said chelsea fan would never contemplate supporting linfield/rangers (for example) for lets say non-footballing reasons

Sorry, got tired of playground questions like "who are you to say that" and "are you a level ten" and then telling me I have a bad attitude for my answers. If you have any questions that actually make sense I'll be happy to address them. You dont really seem to grasp or understand football culture so its difficult to know what to say to you.

whereas ur playground attitude of "you should be supporting x,y & z.. how could u support a,b & c?! u dont know anything about football!!" is grand is it?
    i have a good enough grasp of football culture, so fire away.

why are we all idiots for supporting PL teams then? u do realise that we are following a "foreign" sport anyway and crying wolf about nationality when football is the most international sport on the globe is kinda pointless? seems to me ur just pi$sing into the wind

why are we all idiots for supporting PL teams then? u do realise that we are following a "foreign" sport anyway and crying wolf about nationality when football is the most international sport on the globe is kinda pointless? seems to me ur just pi$sing into the wind
    Its like banging your head against a wall with you. It has nothing to do with nationality. Its about locality. The latter just happens to infer/imply the former. You dont get it, and you never will.

• Advertisement

Its like banging your head against a wall with you. It has nothing to do with nationality. Its about locality. The latter just happens to infer/imply the former. You dont get it, and you never will.

so we all have to support our local team to "get" football supporting? what if u have no attachment whatsoever to ur local team? should u still have to support them just to keep on the same level of fan-dom as others? makes absolutely no sense to me. u support the team u feel u have a connection to, not just because they are on the same island u are. sure the fans from the area of the team are going to have more of an affinity with said team... but lording it over non-locals is pathetic, no matter wat way u look at it

Jazzy wrote:
    sure the fans from the area of the team are going to have more of an affinity with said team... but lording it over non-locals is pathetic, no matter wat way u look at it
    You might think it is pathetic, but thats the way it is all over the world, it always has been and hopefully it always will be.
    makes absolutely no sense to me.
    I know it makes no sense to you. I get that. Lets just leave it at that, shall we.

You might think it is pathetic, but thats the way it is all over the world, it always has been and hopefully it always will be.

promoting intolerance.... nice.
    guess that pretty much proves my point about attitude tho with the "hopefully it always will be" stuff. why do u hope it will always be like that? would u not wish for the club u support to be supported around the world by various ppl of various cultures? i cant see why the hell not. it will always be the locals club and they will always have the more deep rooted support but to shun outsiders simply because of where they are from is borderline racism. nice to see u support that attitude tho... u just keep proving my point.

CiaranC wrote:
    I know it makes no sense to you. I get that. Lets just leave it at that, shall we.

ok then level 10, u make sense of the following to this pauper then - "so we all have to support our local team to "get" football supporting? what if u have no attachment whatsoever to ur local team? should u still have to support them just to keep on the same level of fan-dom as others?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

if you agree in principle that Chelsea are historically anti-Irish to the extent that Irish people should not support them, then surely you must agree that Celtic's Irish fanbase is completely justified due to their rich pro-Irish history?
    I see no reason why that should follow. It's not a clapometer.

Fair enough, I genuinely thought you were referring to Chelsea, misread your post.
    Although I see the point you are making now, you are taking a single point I made and blowing it up. Ill try to clear it up for you. I dont think someone shouldnt support Chelsea solely due to their historical anti-Irishness (there are far more fundamental reasons that apply to everyone else as well), I was just making the point that following them is even more absurd than supporting the likes of Man Utd or Celtic. I was pointing it out an extreme example of Oirish barstoolers not understanding or having any connections with the clubs they latch onto.

This is true in fairness, but I do think its the key point. You say it makes supporting Chelsea "more absurd" than supporting other British clubs, but how much more? First off id say 90%(if not more) of the forum will agree with me when I say that supporting a British club is not that absurd at all, but thats beside the point. As Fred pointed out already this is all in Chelseas past and IMO is clearly a very small and insignificant part of it due to the fact that it relates only to a small group of knuckle-dragging thugs.
    I think its perfectly fair for me to blow up this point because you seem to think its a perfectly good reason to bash the club and its fans. My point about Celtic was that if you can so quickly disregard their history as a reason to support the club then why can't you disregard Chelseas history as a reason not to support the club. The fact is in both cases these "traditional stances" should be dismissed as rubbish.
    However, the more I read your posts the more I realise the dislike you have for any Irish people supporting foreign clubs, so I realise we'l just have to agree to disagree. I can imagine how frustrated you are, and I do respect your (and other LOI fans) opinion on it, but I can only answer for myself when I say I simply dont have a local club. I dont have a "connection" with any club,nor have I ever claimed it, so I'll just take the next best thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I quite enjoyed reading this thread. I think the english were just frothing at the mouth waiting for a chance to rip into Éire, let them have it. At least its a bit more original than "WHO ARE YA"!

CyberWaste wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed reading this thread. I think the english were just frothing at the mouth waiting for a chance to rip into Éire, let them have it. At least its a bit more original than "WHO ARE YA"!

and why would that be then?

promoting intolerance.... nice.
    guess that pretty much proves my point about attitude tho with the "hopefully it always will be" stuff. why do u hope it will always be like that? would u not wish for the club u support to be supported around the world by various ppl of various cultures? i cant see why the hell not. it will always be the locals club and they will always have the more deep rooted support but to shun outsiders simply because of where they are from is borderline racism. nice to see u support that attitude tho... u just keep proving my point.
    OK, I keep proving your point. There is a fundamental difference in how we understand football culture. I dont want my club to become like Man Utd or Bayern Munich, with prima donna players & billion dollar marketing budgets supported by people from China and Japan and Norway, tours to the US to sell replica jerseys, huge soulless bowl stadiums full of tourists and bereft of athmosphere. No football traditionalist does.
    ok then level 10, u make sense of the following to this pauper then - "so we all have to support our local team to "get" football supporting? what if u have no attachment whatsoever to ur local team? should u still have to support them just to keep on the same level of fan-dom as others?"
    You have a connection to your local team. Its your local team. Theres the connection right there.

Heres an interesting article:

http://www.thelionroars.co.uk/dadmeandmillwall.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

OK, I keep proving your point. There is a fundamental difference in how we understand football culture. I dont want my club to become like Man Utd or Bayern Munich, with prima donna players & billion dollar marketing budgets supported by people from China and Japan and Norway, tours to the US to sell replica jerseys, huge soulless bowl stadiums full of tourists and bereft of athmosphere. No football traditionalist does.

You have a connection to your local team. Its your local team. Theres the connection right there.

Heres an interesting article:

http://www.thelionroars.co.uk/dadmeandmillwall.htm

What if there is no local team? There were two 'senior' sides in my town - my dad played for one so the other was 'the enemy' when i was growing up. Both sides are now just sunday league sides though. So, erm, am I not allowed to follow football because I have no actual team to follow?

Advertisement