Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England chant

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i thought this thread was about Setanta... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Tauren wrote: »
    What if there is no local team? There were two 'senior' sides in my town - my dad played for one so the other was 'the enemy' when i was growing up. Both sides are now just sunday league sides though. So, erm, am I not allowed to follow football because I have no actual team to follow?
    In that case you should just pick whoevers the best in the Barclays Premiership at the time and latch on to them :)

Who were the two sides from your home town out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

CiaranC's ancestors drank the soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Greystones United and Greystones AFC.

Bray Wanderers would be an option for me to support - but growing up Bray were 'the enemy' too so when I started to become interested in football there was no proper local team like Shamrock Rovers (went to a few games) or Bohs, for instance, to support - I actually never knew any kids who did support League of Ireland sides, so no connection would have grown from there either. My family have always supported English sides so supporting an English side was a natural progression for me and never seemed at odds with anyone around me.

Greystones United and Greystones AFC.

Bray Wanderers would be an option for me to support - but growing up Bray were 'the enemy' too so when I started to become interested in football there was no proper local team like Shamrock Rovers (went to a few games) or Bohs, for instance, to support - I actually never knew any kids who did support League of Ireland sides, so no connection would have grown from there either. My family have always supported English sides so supporting an English side was a natural progression for me and never seemed at odds with anyone around me.
    You grew up 5 miles from the Carlisle grounds then, but still think there was no local side you could support...

From a LoI fans perspective, thats pretty frustrating. Always seems to be some excuse.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    You grew up 5 miles from the Carlisle grounds then, but still think there was no local side you could support...

From a LoI fans perspective, thats pretty frustrating. Always seems to be some excuse.

Greystones and Bray are different towns - when i played football as a kid any itme we played a team from bray there was a rivalry. Basically, other than Bray being close, there was never a real reason for me to support their sides - they would not have been local to me (local to me would mean my town, Bray is not my town) and if Bray were anything to me, it would be 'the enemy' as that is how i saw them growing up. I wanted Greystones to be a nicer town, nicer place to be, have better schools, a better cinema - I always wanted Greystones to 'win' against Bray, so why would i have ever supported Bray? JUST because I could get their on the bus in 15 minutes?

Greystones and Bray are different towns - when i played football as a kid any itme we played a team from bray there was a rivalry. Basically, other than Bray being close, there was never a real reason for me to support their sides - they would not have been local to me (local to me would mean my town, Bray is not my town) and if Bray were anything to me, it would be 'the enemy' as that is how i saw them growing up. I wanted Greystones to be a nicer town, nicer place to be, have better schools, a better cinema - I always wanted Greystones to 'win' against Bray, so why would i have ever supported Bray? JUST because I could get their on the bus in 15 minutes?
    So there is a club 5 miles from you, drawing its support from North Wicklow, where you were born and raised. But it isnt local enough, so you follow a team hundreds of miles away, in another country instead. Some logic.

Its like someone saying they wouldnt follow Arsenal because they are from Islington, not Highbury and there were rival schools and teams between the two areas when they were growing up.

So there is a club 5 miles from you, drawing its support from North Wicklow, where you were born and raised. But it isnt local enough, so you follow a team hundreds of miles away, in another country instead. Some logic.

Its like someone saying they wouldnt follow Arsenal because they are from Islington, not Highbury and there were rival schools and teams between the two areas when they were growing up.
    I don't see why the locality of Bray is any better than Manchester - i don't consider either to be my local team - Bray is not my local. If there was a pro or semi-pro team in Greystones, or Delgany (half my family lived there) i would have no argument - but there isn't. Bray is not my town, i feel no attachment to Bray as a town and don't see why i should feel an attachment to their club either. You talk about going up to people from Manchester or Liveprool and seeing what they think of my support - but i'm not from Bray either - would people from Bray not be equally hostile to my support of their side?

I don't see why the locality of Bray is any better than Manchester - i don't consider either to be my local team - Bray is not my local. If there was a pro or semi-pro team in Greystones, or Delgany (half my family lived there) i would have no argument - but there isn't. Bray is not my town, i feel no attachment to Bray as a town and don't see why i should feel an attachment to their club either. You talk about going up to people from Manchester or Liveprool and seeing what they think of my support - but i'm not from Bray either - would people from Bray not be equally hostile to my support of their side?
    Dont know too many Bray fans, but Id imagine there are quite a few Bray fans from all over north Wicklow. Its not the parochial GAA.

Have you never been to the Carlisle? Never been tempted to pop along and see what its all about?

Dont know too many Bray fans, but Id imagine there are quite a few Bray fans from all over north Wicklow. Its not the parochial GAA.

Have you never been to the Carlisle? Never been tempted to pop along and see what its all about?

I have yeah - went to see them play Gotenberg a few years back, saw them play some Prem sides. Went to see them play Finn Harps (cause my PE teacher played for Harps) saw them play Shels and Pats too, but in reality i didn't care if they won or lost - they are not my team and I have never felt any reason to have an attachment to them just because they are convenient. Maybe if i was taken to see them as a kid, before i started supporting an English side it would be different, but Bray Wanderers, despite being close, have never felt like my team. They are the team from the next town over, not my town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I've just read through this thread in its entirety and this little ditty pretty much highlights your blinkered outlook and your lack of understanding of an area in which you pertain to know so much.

As has been mentioned earlier there has been alot of effort to effect change in the attitudes throughout english football,but clearly after reading some of the nonsense posted by one or two in this thread the attitudes of some of the irish regarding same are alot more stubborn.

By the way I was born and raised in north London,not too far from Islington actually:)

I've just read through this thread in its entirety and this little ditty pretty much highlights your blinkered outlook and your lack of understanding of an area in which you pertain to know so much.
    What are you on about? Who said i know so much about that area?

Is there an actual point to your post? As far as I can see most Irish worship at the altar of British football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

What are you on about? Who said i know so much about that area?

Is there an actual point to your post?

lol, erm by 'area' i'm not speaking from a geographical viewpoint.

But I think you've pretty much summed it all up right there.:rolleyes:

Advertisement