Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 bus - belfield

Options
  • 07-09-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi,

does the 17 bus always go by belfield from dundrum, or only when the traffic barriers are up. For example, i need to be in for 9 tomo morning, the traffic barriers in ucd will be down, so will the 17 bus go by belfield or do i need to get off at fosters avenue...

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If the bus doesn't turn into UCD off Fosters Avenue, usually it goes up the N11 and in the main entrance off the flyover. Other times it turns right and skips UCD altogether. Just ask the driver if you're unsure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

It will always go into Belfield on a weekday. Before 10.30am it will go via the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway, after that it should go via the Owenstown Gate (off Foster's Avenue). Sometimes the drivers arn't quite sure when the gate opens so they may go via the Stillorgan road for a bit longer.

It will go into Belfield until 6pm on a Saturday* and will skip it altogether on a Sunday.

*Unless this Saturday happens to be on a bank holiday weekend, in which case it will skip UCD all day Saturday! I kid you not, what a crazy timetable! Also if there's a full moon on the day before the equinox.....

Trivia: Since the 17 seems to be what's known as a bogey route, they frequently put drivers on it who haven't got a clue of what the route should be. Many times I've been on the 17 before 10.30am and it's gone in the Owenstown Gate way. Handy for me cus I could just hop off, but for anyone in a rush they'd have to wait while the driver tries to turn a double decker in a tiny space...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Trivia: Since the 17 seems to be what's known as a bogey route, they frequently put drivers on it who haven't got a clue of what the route should be. Many times I've been on the 17 before 10.30am and it's gone in the Owenstown Gate way. Handy for me cus I could just hop off, but for anyone in a rush they'd have to wait while the driver tries to turn a double decker in a tiny space...

Seen that happen quite a bit. The 17 is a route which demands a *lot* of patience...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

17 bus is ridculously bad. You wait 40 minutes for one to show up, sometimes they don't come at all. I'm seriously considering getting a bus into town and a bus out

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

17 bus is ridculously bad. You wait 40 minutes for one to show up, sometimes they don't come at all. I'm seriously considering getting a bus into town and a bus out

Probably a more reliable way of doing it.

On Thursday morning, the 17 driver decided he didn't want to go to Belfield at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Three weeks now of cycling to UCD and I've yet to even see a 17 in the mornings, let alone be overtaken by one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The 17 doesn't come when the timetable says it comes, but it tends to come at the same time each day.

Of course, sometimes it doesn't come at all, that's the magic of the 17, it always keeps you guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

i came to this site at the begginning of the college term to find out bout my new bus route, the 17. I received so many negative comments about it that it actually had me scared! I have been getting the bus every day for three weeks now, different times each day, and have yet to be left waiting for more than 20 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

I got nothing but love for the 17.

It kinda reminds me of my dog- never comes when called and when it does its an hour late after taking a detour through darkest Africa.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Mauricmo wrote: »
    ...It kinda reminds me of my dog...

Yeh it reminds me of a dog too. A wet, smelly dog. Espeically on those real wet mornings when there's a river upstairs on either side of the floor, and you play the game where you have to lift your feet - just in time - or you'll get soaked by something that probably resembled water at some point. Fun stuff to be sure.

I'd also say to those people who feel themselves falling in love with the 17...dump it, now (by text if necessary). Just get out before she lets you down. And she will. When you least expect it. If you REALLY love the 17, you should set her free...but it sure is hard to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

17...dump it, now (by text if necessary).

" Look 17, its not you its me.........I found a new route, what we had was special but I have to move on....."

:(

Advertisement