Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A3 presentation

Options
  • 07-09-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

I need to create an A3 portfolio type presentation of text, photos etc ( ie in paper form). I have made up a draft version in POWERPOINT which I could print out, but I feel it looks very amateurish. Any decent free publishing packages available that are as easy to master as Powerpoint but achieve a more professional look?Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Have to say, anytime I have done posters, even up to A0 size, have always done them in powerpoint and acheived pro look.

Maybe Im wrong but I think you can acheive everything you need to with powerpoint if you delve into it enough.

Feel free to post a sample and I will take a look and others too might have suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Scribus is a free layout program.

You can use GIMP for Images and Inkscape for drawings.

Images need to be of a quality of 300 dpi. This doesn't mean you take a 72 dpi image and scale it up to 300 dpi. If it's 72 dpi, it needs to be inserted at 24% the original size for print quality. If it's too small, then you need to get another image.

The link below is for photoshop, but the same principle applies. There are tuts out there for GIMP

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/image-quality.php

Inkscape is for drawings, like charts or detailed architectural drawings, based on a vector format, the lines are scaled using mathematical equations, so it can virtually be scaled to any size without loss of quality.

There are tuts o Inkscape too.

All in all, you can do it in Powerpoint, but the correct way would be with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, the pro tools.

The same principle applies, you still need to have high enough resolution for photographs/images and to output them as hi-res.

The other apps I've pointed to are free and do the same thing, but are not as involved as the professionals tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 robbiefa

If you want some software for just a once off project, why don't you download adobes creative suite trail version. I wold suggest for a layout program. http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Advertisement