Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

semi-OT: what ammo is this?

• 07-09-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Question for the experts:

Found 13 empty cartridges in my van (ex German military police) yesterday.

First I thought it was pistol or MP ammo, but both the P7/P8 and the MP5 (standard German issue) use 9 mm ammo.

The shells I'm looking at are ~ 5mm in diameter (anything between 4.9 to 5.1 ...don't have calipers so can't measure correctly) and about 18 mm long.
    Trawled the internet yesterday but didn't really come up with anything.

According to the code on the cartridge "DAG 96 E 1009" it's made in Germany by Dynamit Nobel, but that didn't really leave me any wiser.

What were the previous owners of my van shooting with ...any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

What shape are the cartridges - do they taper at the front like rifle cartridges or are the straight all the way like traditional pistol cartridges?

Have a trawl through this site, you may find it.
    http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?catid=359&sn=BCqevnCUNt&dim=metric

4.6x30mm HK PDW - http://ammoguide.com/?catid=359

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No, not tapered, straight all the way

peasant wrote: »
    No, not tapered, straight all the way

Rim fire or centre-fire?

Hang on, hang on ...I'm too stupid to measure :o

It's of course 9mm and not 5mm (that's what you get when you use the wife's stupid measuring tape)

That solves the mystery as it would tie up with either the standard pistol P7/P8 or the MP5 (MP7was only introduced recently)

Sorry for wrecking your head for nothing :o

Hang on, hang on ...I'm too stupid to measure :o

It's of course 9mm and not 5mm (that's what you get when you use the wife's stupid measuring tape)

That solves the mystery as it would ty up with either the standard pistol P7/P8 or the MP5 (MP7was only introduced recently)

Sorry for wrecking your head for nothing :o

Don't worry, you're about to receive an invoice for 30 minutes of my life!
    MP7 has a 4.6 x 30 mm cartridge anyway
    Didn't measure properly...mutter mutter....:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Best ask in the shooting forum to confirm this but technically you may be committing an offence by having those spent cartridges in your possession.

They are now in the possession of my bin :D (except for the shiniest one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've heard of guards having a small hissy fit over it, but as far as I recall, it came to nothing, so it should be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

They are now in the possession of my bin :D (except for the shiniest one)

Would keep the shiny one myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

They contain no powder, no primer or no bullet. They're basicly just scrap metal. Having said that under the strictest interpretation of firearms legislation they could be interpreted as component parts of ammunition or a firearm and you need a licence for that but in practice I think you'd have to come up against a seriously loopy cop and judge to and up in trouble over it.

If you really want to be completely in the clear I suggest you punch a tiny little hole in the case which would make them unsuitable for reloading and as a consequence no longer a component part of ammunition.

So far for my five cents....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A case against someone who had spent cases in their possession was thrown out before. I very much doubt you're a threat to national security but do drill a little hole in each case if you're worried.

Advertisement