Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do We Lack Self-Esteem?

• 07-09-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7598549.stm

Musical tastes and personality type are closely related, according to a study of more than 36,000 people from around the world, with fans of rock and heavy metal music being characterised as having or being:

Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease.

I found the results of this to be very interesting, and I also don't think it's off by very much. It certainly is generally in line with a number of my friends when I think of them in terms of music taste. As a teenager I also had considerable esteem issues, as did many metallers I know.

What are your opinions on this? Rock and metal was the only category which had low self esteem? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I listen to a lot of Metal, Jazz, Soul and Blues, therefore I have both high and low esteem. Life must be a rollercoaster, baby :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

You must be schizo! I listen to other genre not even on this list like industrial and medieval...In fact I'd say most people have multiple personalities by this standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

I can go along with these findings.

'CHART POP High self-esteem, not creative, hardworking, outgoing, gentle, not at ease.'

Whoever listens to the crap that's pumped by the commercial music industry definatly lacks imagination, creativity and an independent mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Reads like a pack of cliched bull**** really. What about people who listen to every genre under the moon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Orizio wrote: »
    Reads like a pack of cliched bull**** really. What about people who listen to every genre under the moon?

+1

I listen to metal, dance, rap, classical, indie, electro and even a bit of pop!

I'm probably described under the survey as "a mess" so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I listen to rock and metal, and I'm f*cking awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I find it more puzzling that this study shows fans of Rock and Heavy Metal as "Not outgoing", which seems contrary to just about every Rock or Metal fan I've ever known or come across.

I never put any faith in these kinds of surveys though, it's just far too vague and generalised.
    Sarky wrote: »
    I listen to rock and metal, and I'm f*cking awesome.

It's true, this man is f*cking awesome. Not quite as awesome as me, but he radiates with awesome none the less. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

So what happens if you're a fan of Rage Against The Machine for example? They have elements of both metal and rap in their music so by the linked article's logic, you would have these traits:
    • Rap: High self-esteem, outgoing.
    • Metal: Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease.
    Do the high and low self esteem traits cancel each other out or what?

It's a stupid article that makes many unfounded generalisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

malice_ wrote: »
    So what happens if you're a fan of Rage Against The Machine for example? They have elements of both metal and rap in their music so by the linked article's logic, you would have these traits:
    • Rap: High self-esteem, outgoing.
    • Metal: Low self-esteem, creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, at ease.
    Do the high and low self esteem traits cancel each other out or what?

It's a stupid article that makes many unfounded generalisations.

Yep. It cancels out the esteem & outgoing traits.
    Which leaves ya with creative, not hard-working, gentle and at ease.
    Heh, it makes that fan a hippy :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I find rock/metal fans tend to be human, and as such have every personality trait under the sun

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Profiling research is usually carried out by nerds with an over-inflated value of both their own worth and their "head-up-my-own-ar*e research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

+1

I listen to metal, dance, rap, classical, indie, electro and even a bit of pop!

+2

Gilbert O'Sullivan and Morbid Angel vying for space on my iPod.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Is it possible to have low self esteem and be at ease with yourself? Professor Adrian North may be setting himself up for an Ig Noble award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's true, this man is f*cking awesome. Not quite as awesome as me, but he radiates with awesome none the less. ;)

Wow I want to get in on this too, because I reek of awesomeness aswell. I would say being a metal head plays a lot to do with it. Regarding the article it is a rather generalising sweep at music in general. 10 years ago in an attempt to diss metal, smash hits magazine went to Brixton prison in London to find metal heads. Of all the places to search, that is why I question the validity of this survey. Incidentially why exactly is Snoop Dogg banned from entering the UK to perform? Oh yeah complications arising from an incident at Heathrow Airport coupled with firearms and drug conviction charges back home. Doesn't particularly sound like high self-esteem and outgoing to me. More like too much money and a lack of respect for society in general.

Being honest my self-esteem is not as high as it should be so why shouldn't I be drawn to music with darker aspects of the human psyche. It is real, not pop bull**** that unfortunately we get bombarded with on a daily basis. However my self-esteem is a lot better than it used to be and I have metal to thank for it. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Low self esteem? HahaHHHAHAHA

Low self esteem? HahaHHHAHAHA

Sure wouldn't we all love to be like you? :rolleyes::cool::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

DenMan wrote: »
    Sure wouldn't we all love to be like you. :rolleyes::cool::)

Anyone aiming to be like Ms. Tara is aiming fairly low there in fairness :p

Quite right. Let me change it into a question. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lol. Anyway yeah, I'm probably the most arrogant person there is. Take that survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Some day I'll get an amp bigger than most refrigerators, and then we shall be equals :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I don't doubt it's a possibility but I love metal and I'm grand.

But I'm pretty sure you'll find them people everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

That'll be me too!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Its not a generalisation as such, its just a survey that shows a percentage of metal, rap, alternative etc. fans personality traits. Metal heads probably had the highest percentage of all of those which doesn't really surprise me given the fact that Emo would probably come in under metal...

I would doubt if there is much of a gap between metal heads self esteem and anybody elses though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

metalhead = 'not hard working'.

they got me sussed:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

any type of psychological research paper condensed into a table on a website will look like ****e. I would imagine that the paper itself is actually quite revealing , in a general sense.

unfortunately I can't seem to find it on the net. i keep running into that same table copied and pasted from the BBC site. anyone had more luck than me?

Cheers,
    Marky

btw, not hard working, creative, gentle, at ease...they got me right..
    as for the low self esteem; well, not lately. let's call it the exception that proves the rule;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It doesn't seem to account for people who listen to multiple genre's...but I can't actually find the full results of the survey, so I'm forced to assume it means people who listen almost exclusively to one genre.

As for attacking the researchers, that sounds very dumb. I'm dashing, smart, and so full of myself that if I was given an enema there'd be two of me, but that doesn't mean I've got high self-esteem (I don't). Although it probably only covers a very narrow data range, what it does cover is powerful evidence considering the sample size. I would be inclined to take notice of its conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Did a music personality test in the Amsterdam science museum recently. Said I was left wing and creative, which is quite true, but I wasn't sure about the "tends towards driving a motorcycle, drinking beer and smoking marijuana". Not really my cup of tea... Funny though. I'd say people probably pick music to go with their personality, then it enhances it a bit. Dunno really.

Advertisement