Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E51, to buy or not?

• 07-09-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting an E51 with O2 for €99, I currently have an E50, which I'm happy with, but need to get a new phone (E50 will go to the OH, who's phone is failing).

Does anyone know if O2 are going to be changing the price, add a new better equivalent phone in the next few months? i.e. is this a bad time to get it with new phones on the horizon?

I used to be very up to date on phones, but missed out in the deluge of phones over the years, the posters here seem to be much more knowledgable than me these days :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's a great phone I reckon and a good choice as an upgrade from the e50. O2 have just annouced the Nokia e66 and NOkia e71 will be out soon though so I would imagine (guessing, no basis for this other than new phones coming in so old phones probably cheaper) the e51 will come down in price over the next month.

Might also be worth looking at the e66 .. looks to be a lovely phone !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

+1 for the e51.

They features to size ratio is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I have both the E51 and N95 and you cannot falt the E51 what so ever! Its as good as n95 really good luck with what you pick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

+1

E51 is extremely well built, sturdy construction and very very little software bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

flodis79 wrote: »
    +1

E51 is extremely well built, sturdy construction and very very little software bugs.
    ONLY PROBLEM IS:
    The E71 is gonna be out on 3 and Vodafone this month!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

strecker wrote: »
    ONLY PROBLEM IS:
    The E71 is gonna be out on 3 and Vodafone this month!
    :D

Thats hardly a problem with the e51 in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

i've got one and i love it. Well built phone when most phones these days fail after a couple of months

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Got one myself nearly 2 months ago. Great phone, crammed with lots of features.

The only downside to this phone is it's rubbish camera, but if you wanted to take decent snaps, you'd probably use a camera anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

gcgirl wrote: »
    I have both the E51 and N95 and you cannot falt the E51 what so ever! Its as good as n95 really good luck with what you pick!

I've both too and the only place the N95 is better really is the bigger screen for web browsing and the camera (which I never bother with on a phone anyway!)

If this isn't a major priority for you though then go with the E51 as, as gcgirl says, I can't fault it whatsoever either.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've both too and the only place the N95 is better really is the bigger screen for web browsing and the camera (which I never bother with on a phone anyway!)

If this isn't a major priority for you though then go with the E51 as, as gcgirl says, I can't fault it whatsoever either.
    They both have the same resolution screen though, so it is just a matter of preference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

+1 for great phone, poor camera. But I have a camera, so feck it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Looks grand on the E51 so, the E66 and E71 wouldn't interest me (I've had sliders before and the 71 is too big).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭tech

Very similiar size to Nokia 6310i! which was a class phone, Thinking of buying one!

Honestly you're not comparing e51 to 6310i? They are worlds apart! And re size, there are hundreds of phones with same form factor as e51/6310i. Just my two cents..

Buy it for the wifi alone.

Right now i'm sitting in the south of france out in the back garden, lying by the pool browsing boards..

Can't fault the phone in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

the E51's camera has a slightly green tint. much like the matrix
    look @ this pic you will see what i mean.

teh wifi is great for making cheap calls over the interweb but i think its a bit unreliable. maybe the latest firmware has that fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

byte wrote: »
    Got one myself nearly 2 months ago. Great phone, crammed with lots of features.

The only downside to this phone is it's rubbish camera, but if you wanted to take decent snaps, you'd probably use a camera anyway.

One "missing feature" with the E51, the Nokia 6300 will rescale a picture for sending via MMS, the E51 just tells you the picture is a bit big and sends it anyway...

One "missing feature" with the E51, the Nokia 6300 will rescale a picture for sending via MMS, the E51 just tells you the picture is a bit big and sends it anyway...

e51 will too

menu->messaging->settings->multimeda message->image size->small/large (not original)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

two questions related to the E51:

is it O2 branded?
    will VOIP work over 3G/HSPDA?

two questions related to the E51:

is it O2 branded?

probably.

I tried using VoiP over 3g but it lagged very badly. 5-10 seconds lag. if you use a decent network like O2 it might be alright. i used it on 3 and always got lots of lag

• Advertisement

is it O2 branded?
    It can be very easily debranded via a firmware update.
    Not using the native e51 client. Nokia have disabled it. You can however use fring to make voip calls over hsdpa.

towel401 wrote: »
    the E51's camera has a slightly green tint. much like the matrix
    look @ this pic you will see what i mean.

teh wifi is great for making cheap calls over the interweb but i think its a bit unreliable. maybe the latest firmware has that fixed

In what way is it unreliable?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    It can be very easily debranded via a firmware update.

Not using the native e51 client. Nokia have disabled it. You can however use fring to make voip calls over hsdpa.

Are you talking about the branded o2 version? Well, it's more that o2 has disabled it, not nokia. With the unbranded version, voip over 3g and 3.5g works just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

thanks guys for the clarification. i assume the firmwareupdate (debranding ;) ) works via the normal USB cable plus NOKIA firmwareupdater supplied with the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I use skype via fring, it works really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for all the posters here, was also considering getting the E51 and it seems its now free on certain plans on the O2 website when porting from another provider.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

flodis79 wrote: »
    In what way is it unreliable?

long periods (10 sec) of silence the odd time when calling over wifi. but its well possible that this doesn't happen on the latest firmware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I recently got this phone and I must say it's done everything I have needed it to. I'd definitely recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was thinking of one, but I use the camera (W810i with autofocus) on my phone a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I was about to order, and found out that O2 have changed their upgrade policy and taken away my silver upgrade.

They now have one upgrade band and one criteria: Spend €3500 with them.

I'll likely be moving to Vodafone in the next few weeks.

Advertisement